1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Newman - RIP

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Bradford, Sep 27, 2008.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Newman story from another board:

"A boss I had in New York had just moved into a new house in Greenwich, CT. The doorbell rings. He opens the door. Standing there is Paul Newman with a loaf of freshly baked bread (his wife just made) and a bottle of wine. He was there to welcome his new neighbor. My boss invited him in. They drank and talked for an hour or so. He said Newman was incredibly nice and modest -- more interested in learning about my boss than talking about himself."

lefty

Cool story. Speaks volumes about the guy. I only wish the acting profession had more Newmans and less of the shallow, cause of the day shitheads that it seems filled with these days. I get physically ill when I see a story about one of these "celebrities" on TV or in the print media because I worry it speaks to a fault in Americans, the worship of the vapid, inane celebrity.

2. sayaret

sayaret Well-Known Member

absolutely one of the best. great man. he will be missed

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I had the pleasure of meeting Newman at Brainerd International Raceway in the early 80s. He'd just become a professional race car driver and was extremely open and available to those of us who had pit/paddock passes. He took the time to chat, to ask questions of my young daughter, and to wish us well when we left. He was incredibly humble, gregarious and, as my (then) wife observed, "make your knees shake" handsome.

Another American treasure is lost.

4. j

j Senior member Admin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]!! + Datsun + BRE car + those glasses = j's motorsport hero actually that may not be the BRE car but IIRC he did drive one of the BRE 510s. [​IMG]

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

You know you're cool when one of the most desirable watches in the world is named after you:
    [​IMG]
    RIP.