• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good sense of humor to be a Food Network success?

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Do you think it is necessary to have a well developed sense of humor to be a successful Food Network host? I often see their most popular stars laughing so I guess that they are considered to be funny or have a good sense of humor. I don't think that I posses this trait as I really can't remember the last time I had a good laugh. Do you think this is a major obstacle in the way of my becoming a host of a Cooking related program? I do feel that Mr. Yan of Yan Can Cook had a funny personality and did laugh on occasion over his behavior without actually knowing why.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
Not neccisarily funny but you have to be engaging. People have to want to watch you. Noone will watch someone who is monotoned and boring.

Do you think their is a accurate way for a person to determine if they are engaging? I do feel that when I speak directly with people that I have the majority of their attention.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
Do you think their is a accurate way for a person to determine if they are engaging? I do feel that when I speak directly with people that I have the majority of their attention.
No way to tell unless we saw the person in question.

Martin Yan has a great personality and killed because of his no fear personality - MINCE GARLIC DONE!

Julia had humility and was a pioneer, everybody has a story.

So are you thinking of applying for a job?
smile.gif

-spence

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Thats a start. If you dont think your funny than you have to be able to tell a good story can you tell a story well, are you a talker? Ive noticed that the people that arent funny on food network engage there audiences by telling them about there past experiences, how they grew up,why they like to cook and so on... Have you ever taught anything? Can you cook and teach an entire classroom full of students i think that would be a decent meausre of how well youd be. Or could you teach a complete moron how to make mac and cheese? Take Mario vitello (not funny IMO ) but he tells stories when he is cooking. IDK though im not a food network know it all or a good cook. If I was a producer of one of there shows these would be qualities I look for. You have to be able to entertain people, this can be accomplished with out being a comedian.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think they all laugh for a number of reasons:

1. They're getting paid to cook
2. The cross-merchandising: book deals, cookware, etc.
3. They hit the sauce before every show.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bobby Flay doesn't strike me as having a good sense of humour. And most of the female hosts go for the serious but having fun persona.

JYK830

Reaction score
Jamie Oliver, Ina Garten, and perhaps Giada De Laurentiis.

The three chefs I like on Food Network.

To me, others look like ponpous pricks who talk too much. (Bobby Flay, Mario Batali, Emeril Lagasse, etc.)

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rachel Ray is on the Food Network...how much of humour and personality can you really need?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Rachel Ray is on the Food Network...how much of humour and personality can you really need?

+1.

Paula Dean is hilarious though. I could watch her even after all the walls of mortality crumbled before me into oblivion.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Paula Dean is hilarious though. I could watch her even after all the walls of mortality crumbled before me into oblivion.

I would love to bang her.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alton Brown is good, I happen to think that he is very engaging. (Less so, however, in Iron Chef America gig.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads