• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Allen Edmonds?

Sir James

Reaction score
My absolute favorites are the Bancrofts in shell cordovan. I also love the moras in brown suede moras, the westgates and the greyson tassell loafers in black.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ExHack
You know what? I just ducked into my closet to verify, and you're right. For some reason, I thought my Byrons were double-soled. I know my Bradleys and one other pair are. The Byrons have worn amazingly well (the actual soles, mind you; I think I've replaced the heel toplifts twice) with no end in sight. Thanks for the correction.

Actually, the Bradleys are not double-soled either. They have what A-E calls a "stout welt," which I guess is sort of intermediate. I happen to be wearing my Bradleys as I type this.

I know I must come across as a horrible nit-picker. Thank you for being so gracious.

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
I have always had a softspot for the AE Shelton.

P1010443.jpg

P1010446.jpg

I wonder if Allen Edmonds has a factory in the North Pole.

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Actually, the Bradleys are not double-soled either. They have what A-E calls a "stout welt," which I guess is sort of intermediate. I happen to be wearing my Bradleys as I type this.

I know I must come across as a horrible nit-picker. Thank you for being so gracious.

You are hardly horrible. I appreciate the knowledge; that is why most of us are here. AEs are the mainstay of my dress shoes and, although my fidelity has lessened over time, I do love them. Thank you for the bits of information, as well as the original gentle correction. I'd never heard the term "stout welt" before; I'd assumed those were the well-known "double oak" soles.

Curious - is there a thread here that describes the different AE lasts and models, and catalogs which models are built on which lasts? I know the stock answer tends to be "do a search," but the search engine is a bit, ah, basic. If not, perhaps one should be started.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ExHack
Curious - is there a thread here that describes the different AE lasts and models, and catalogs which models are built on which lasts? I know the stock answer tends to be "do a search," but the search engine is a bit, ah, basic. If not, perhaps one should be started.
There is a fairly extensive thread at Ask Andy: http://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum...+edmonds+lasts I'm not sure how accurate it is. To my knowledge there is not a similar thread here at SF, but perhaps others could correct me.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
the famous chestnut colton

IMGP1690.jpg

I don't know what it is about that picture, Brian...I love it.

Not only did it get me to buy the Coltons, but it also got me interested in shoes in general. Since then, I've gone to C&J and even now (after that shoebacca.com business) Edward Green. That picture of the Coltons is probably responsible for getting the ball rolling for me.

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
There is a fairly extensive thread at Ask Andy:

http://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum...+edmonds+lasts

I'm not sure how accurate it is. To my knowledge there is not a similar thread here at SF, but perhaps others could correct me.

Thanks. It would be great to create a pinned thread of AE styles, with photos and last designations, as well as a description of the lasts themselves, including fit notes. I'd love to begin this, but as JLibourel has gently shown, I do not have the requisite knowledge base. A thread like this could bring a lot of knowledge together.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, of my AEs (Harrisons, PAs, Bancrofts, Wilberts, am I forgetting something?), I find myself reaching for my Cambridges in shell an awful lot. The Bancrofts don't fit as well, which may have something to do with it.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I don't know what it is about that picture, Brian...I love it.

Not only did it get me to buy the Coltons, but it also got me interested in shoes in general. Since then, I've gone to C&J and even now (after that shoebacca.com business) Edward Green. That picture of the Coltons is probably responsible for getting the ball rolling for me.

i feel so privileged to have been the one responsible for your financial drainings.
smile.gif

shoesies

Reaction score
I own 4 pairs of AE and I like most of them (ehhemm fairfax), but I would really like a set of Evanstons.

1 * Soho in cognac
2 * Greenwich in saddle brown
3 * Manhattan in saddle brown
4 * Fairfax in black

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads