Your Favorite Allen Edmonds?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by free man, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Charley

Charley Senior member

E-widths only, last I checked.

I have the Mora model shoe in the brown calf sz 9D. Pretty attractive model, IMHO. If i remember accurately, it is on the 8 last. That last is a bit narrower and that causes it to have a bit more trim appearance. I have another pair of AE on the same 8 last. Both fit a bit snug across the arch. You may want to consider getting the E width if D is your "normal" fitting and give it a try on.

My only complaint about the Mora is that the buckle is attached to the shoe with only a leather strip. Many of the monk strap shoes use a bit of elastic so that there is some give to the buckle attachment. Use the holes in the strap to get it pretty close and the elastic gets it just right. Not with the Mora. That also causes the alignment to not adjust as well as when there is a short piece of elastic in the buckle fixing. I'm pretty happy with the shoes, but AE could have improved it.

2. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

What are your thoughts on the Hale in merlot?

Great with navy or gray suits I would think.

I bought a pair, but still prefer the PA in merlot most of the time.

I just bought the Clifton last week for $179 from an AE store. There might be a few left at the factory.

3. imainish

imainish Senior member

Big fan of mine, but the favorites (so far) have to be Bancrofts in black shell (pair on the left):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope to get the Soho or Evanston. Then a Manhattan, Bel Air and possibly a pair from the Seven line.

4. dshin

dshin Senior member

I wore my second favorite today: Hinsdale in Chestnut
    [​IMG]

No offense....maybe its the angle of the photo but those look like clown shoes.

5. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

+1 in Tan or the Polo Saddle in shell
    I like the Clifton: [​IMG]

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

The Mora.

Why by any means did the discontinue it?

It's not. It's now an AE exclusive, along with other favorites such as the Strand, McAllister, and Cambridge.

7. ExHack

ExHack Senior member

I just bought the now-discontinued Byron in Black. Very nice, conservative shoe.

[​IMG]

You'll be very happy. I wore this model regularly (1x-2x/weekly) for a couple of years. The double-oak soles wear like iron and they're plenty roomy/comfy for a regular-width foot. Although the insoles show some wear from that period, the uppers polish near-flawlessly - from 15 feet away, they look new. It's a superb all-around contemporary business shoe, especially for those with more traditional tastes; Byron's a little clunky and, well, AMERICAN to wear with heavily-tailored European suits, but for most business ensembles, they'll blend in and enhance. Excellent investment.

8. ExHack

ExHack Senior member

My personal favorite would probably be a model I picked up a few years ago, dirt-cheap, on eBay (the seller listed it in the boys' shoes category.) The "Strand" was a 5-eyelet balmoral cap-toe with perfing and a ton of pinking on nearly every seam, beautifully and flawlessly rendered. My pair is in pebble-grain chili, a terrific treatment for this design. I savor these for special occasions. The overall look is similar to the later "Sanford," except that the "Sanford" was a blucher and frankly, subpar quality (the perfing on that model tends to come loose, roll back away from being flush with the shoe, and degenerates into a bit of a mess. I've seen several pair of "Sanfords" with that problem.

For loafers, my current favorites are a tie between the "Cody," a tassel loafer with a woven plug, and the "Glasgow," a squared-off split toe. My first pair of AE's ever was a "Colfax," which I've more often seen called "Arlington." Like the "Strand," a very heavily-detailed shoe with wingtip perfing, pinking all around the vamp, AND a grand kiltie under the tassels. It's a little old-school for most of my current suits though.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

You'll be very happy. I wore this model regularly (1x-2x/weekly) for a couple of years. The double-oak soles wear like iron and they're plenty roomy/comfy for a regular-width foot. Although the insoles show some wear from that period, the uppers polish near-flawlessly - from 15 feet away, they look new. It's a superb all-around contemporary business shoe, especially for those with more traditional tastes; Byron's a little clunky and, well, AMERICAN to wear with heavily-tailored European suits, but for most business ensembles, they'll blend in and enhance. Excellent investment.

Curious! The Byron was not regularly offered with "double oak" soles. The three pairs I have all have single-thickness leather soles. A double-leather sole is really not quite appropriate for a balmoral like the Byron or Park Avenue anyway.

10. padronlover

padronlover Senior member

westgate in brandy were my old favorite [​IMG]

now i like the weybridge in chili
    [​IMG]

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

12. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

I have always had a softspot for the AE Shelton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ExHack

ExHack Senior member

Curious! The Byron was not regularly offered with "double oak" soles. The three pairs I have all have single-thickness leather soles. A double-leather sole is really not quite appropriate for a balmoral like the Byron or Park Avenue anyway.

You know what? I just ducked into my closet to verify, and you're right. For some reason, I thought my Byrons were double-soled. I know my Bradleys and one other pair are. The Byrons have worn amazingly well (the actual soles, mind you; I think I've replaced the heel toplifts twice) with no end in sight. Thanks for the correction.

14. scotsman

scotsman Active Member

I have to go with the Park Avenue. They were my first pair of AEs.

15. Spilotro

Spilotro Senior member