• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Allen Edmonds?

mrphrog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoesies
I own 4 pairs of AE and I like most of them (ehhemm fairfax), but I would really like a set of Evanstons.

1 * Soho in cognac
2 * Greenwich in saddle brown
3 * Manhattan in saddle brown
4 * Fairfax in black

Is saddle brown darker or lighter than cognac? I'm planning to get a Manhattan but want to pick a darker brown. Thanks.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrphrog
Is saddle brown darker or lighter than cognac? I'm planning to get a Manhattan but want to pick a darker brown. Thanks.

It is darker than Cognac, but not a really dark brown.

Weybridge comes in a very dark brown--I have one set of these and another AE in Walnut (a bit darker than Cognac, but still a medium brown).

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=71675

shoesies

Reaction score
THe saddle brown is definitely darker than the cognac, but it's not so much a different color - its still a mid.brown and not a dark.brown. The difference at best is a few shades off.

The cognac is very light, with a hint of yellow in it
ANd both pairs of my saddle brown shoes are different shades - the pair i just looked at in the store is a really dark brown compared to mine (its labelled saddle brown).

My manhattan is saddle brown look fantastic, I dig the shade and the color. but my favourite is the cognac > it steers away from the red.undertone that the saddle brown has.

I am in the process of slowly darkening my Greenwich's, the patina developing is fantastic! the biggest difference I can spot is that my cognac are less patterened and show a very nice, bright yellow tone with little deviation.

The saddle is a darker brown with a hint of red / burgundy and it shows with highlights and different shades everywhere.

If you want a dark brown, go with the burnished calf in the weybridge!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belmont in brown leather and the Macneil in burgundy cordovan.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sevillas. brown loafers basically. alas, they don't make them anymore.

-Jeff

shoesies

Reaction score
Tresana - can't wait for my pair to arrive
smile.gif

Soho is nice as well!

playerscatalog_2021_43941088

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only US-made AE model I care for was the one grimster posted few weeks back.
Though I'm just basing that on how it appers on my monitor. (Having not seen the actual thing.)
Their new "trendy" Italian line of shoes (which I saw on multiple visits to AE stores) turned out more of a fart in the wind, if you ask me.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Sanfords from another SFer recently and they are fast becoming my favorite AEs.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
The Allen Edmonds Revere in rust of course!
tounge.gif

Don't those soles ever catch on something?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
Is the AE Colton identical to the AE Sanford?

Good eye Deacon, I just did some quick comparisons on ebay, and they do look identical.
Different lasts perhaps?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Byron is an underrated shoe. Glad I got a pair before... well you know.
musicboohoo[1].gif
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads