• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best/Good position in Accounting/Finance?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
raving? I'm just talking, and i thought we were having a debate. Now that you pointed out that you're just a **** stirrer i'll know in the future that you are a complete waste of time.

you really are a class act.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me consider reconsidering my major from economics (business) to accounting.........

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Warren Buffett has an economics degree if i'm not mistaken.

But the irony is that you'd be hard pressed to find a well paying job in it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

Yes, Greenspan was quite underpaid.
rolleyes.gif

In 2005, 180k for a damn quasi-governmental job with assets of about $4.2 million. Pfft.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

You are joking, right?

I am an accounting major myself but I have friends that graduated with economics degrees. Have you heard of Investment Banking?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think you're going to get a starting salary of 65k right out of your undergrad at a big 4, you're dreaming. I have a friend that went to EY with his masters/cpa and wasn't making that right out of school. He's been there for several years and is right around 65k right now-and he's advanced much faster than the firm average (he's 26). There's a lot of money down the road to be made, but you aren't going to get a starting salary of 65k unless you're undergrad is from a top school and you're in 1 of maybe 5 cities in the country. I'd expect something around 45-50k depending on where you went to school.

As far as investment banking, it's a phenomenal field to be in-but almost impossible to get into directly out of school with the current state of the economy unless you're Ivy league or Stanford. Investment banking is the most pretentious field there is when it comes to where you went to school-and it's downsizing quite a bit at the moment. Everybody that graduates from Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Princeton and Columbia with an accounting/finance/economics degree wants to be an investment banker. It's 12-14 hour days, you better absolutely love what you're doing or it will be a misery.

lifersfc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
If you think you're going to get a starting salary of 65k right out of your undergrad at a big 4, you're dreaming. I have a friend that went to EY with his masters/cpa and wasn't making that right out of school. He's been there for several years and is right around 65k right now-and he's advanced much faster than the firm average (he's 26). There's a lot of money down the road to be made, but you aren't going to get a starting salary of 65k unless you're undergrad is from a top school and you're in 1 of maybe 5 cities in the country. I'd expect something around 45-50k depending on where you went to school. As far as investment banking, it's a phenomenal field to be in-but almost impossible to get into directly out of school with the current state of the economy unless you're Ivy league or Stanford. Investment banking is the most pretentious field there is when it comes to where you went to school-and it's downsizing quite a bit at the moment. Everybody that graduates from Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Princeton and Columbia with an accounting/finance/economics degree wants to be an investment banker. It's 12-14 hour days, you better absolutely love what you're doing or it will be a misery.
Ha 12-14 hour days. Good one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as investment banking, it's a phenomenal field to be in-but almost impossible to get into directly out of school with the current state of the economy unless you're Ivy league or Stanford. Investment banking is the most pretentious field there is when it comes to where you went to school-and it's downsizing quite a bit at the moment. Everybody that graduates from Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Princeton and Columbia with an accounting/finance/economics degree wants to be an investment banker. It's 12-14 hour days, you better absolutely love what you're doing or it will be a misery.

I'm just highlighting this for the smarty pantses above
lol8[1].gif

How many positions are there open for the chairman of the United States Federal Reserve Board....Ahh, just 1, and i think its filled right now.

180k/4.2 mil.....******* lightweight
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
Ha 12-14 hour days. Good one.

Ok, I'll rephrase it. You could get away with a 12 or 14 hour day if you're lucky. I didn't want to sound pessimistic, but the average joe doesn't get a starting salary of 65k with an undergrad from an average school in accounting.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
You are joking, right?

I am an accounting major myself but I have friends that graduated with economics degrees. Have you heard of Investment Banking?

Investment banking isn't economics. I have never found any job (in DC anyway) paying real money for people only with bachelors in economics. Obviously, if you end up in finance or consulting with an economics degree you can definately make over $45k but simply performing entry level economic analysis or whatever with that degree won't get you much.

lifersfc

Reaction score
If you think you're going to get a starting salary of 65k right out of your undergrad at a big 4, you're dreaming.

Tend to agree, given that Bain, BCG, and McKinsey started last year's classes at 65k + sign-on + bonus. Accounting has to pay less--the economics just wouldn't work otherwise.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Investment banking isn't economics. I have never found any job (in DC anyway) paying real money for people only with bachelors in economics. Obviously, if you end up in finance or consulting with an economics degree you can definately make over $45k but simply performing entry level economic analysis or whatever with that degree won't get you much.
maybe in DC I have a few friends in investment banking in Tokyo and HK with economics degrees and no family connections. None went to Harvard/Yale/Standford/etc but they went to the good local schools.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually know someone who got a job with KPMG out of college making $60,000. He was a finance major so I don't know how he got hired. From what I have been told is that he is responsible for arranging meetings around the country and travels sometimes and will eventually move on to accounting.

I was actually surprised to hear he got a job with KPMG. He isn't very sharp and every time I have seen him he has been more or less wasted and carries on like a frat boy.

nicad2000

Reaction score
There are $65k salaries out there, but only in high cost of living areas such as NYC and probably LA. Still, because it is possible I think it bears mention in the range of possibilities. Just don't expect any sort of yearly bonus until you are higher up the feed trough.

Also, to the poster that mentioned moving up the ranks relatively quicker than ones's colleagues in the Big 4, that basically isn't possible. The promotions are very strictly based upon years spent with the firm until one reaches the partner level. I'm sure it's possible to be held back if you're a real idiot and fall behind, but there's only one way to get ahead of the curve promotion-wise: Bring in business as soon as you can!

That being said, raises are somewhat variable but you will still never advance much past or fall far behind your peers of the same "year".

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never understood why the investment banks dont just hire a few more analysts...have a 2nd shift--it's not like they don't turn down plenty of top-quality candidates who would do it even if there was a bit less money...

Work that requires any kind of serious thought suffers from a very sharp decline in quality and productivity with those kinds of hours (of course if all you are doing is playing excel-monkey and formatting pitch books, maybe it doesnt require so much thought).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads