• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for a little interview advice

etl

Reaction score
later this week i'm going to have an interview for a dream job.

the first woman i'll be talking with would be a peer in the corporate structure. i'm not sure that i've been interviewed by somebody that i wasn't working for. does anyone have any practical advice on how to deal with this vs the employer/manager?

also, is it ok to somehow verbalize that you really want the job? i've heard both sides of this argument. it sort of makes sense to tell them that you want the job but i'm wondering if there's a best way to do this?

thank in advance for any help.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in my company several peers interview candidates, the idea (in my company) is just to get a feel for how well they will fit in. if you can get a feel for the company's culture, that is pretty much all you can do to prepare for that. also, you get another chance to show off what you have going for you

definatly say that you want the job. one of the guys I have hired simply expressed that better than the other candidates.

good luck

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Rather than replying to questions, just go into a graphic retelling of The Aristocrats! joke. I would hire the **** out of you in an instant.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etl
later this week i'm going to have an interview for a dream job. the first woman i'll be talking with would be a peer in the corporate structure. i'm not sure that i've been interviewed by somebody that i wasn't working for. does anyone have any practical advice on how to deal with this vs the employer/manager? also, is it ok to somehow verbalize that you really want the job? i've heard both sides of this argument. it sort of makes sense to tell them that you want the job but i'm wondering if there's a best way to do this? thank in advance for any help.
Verbalizing it only puts you in a weaker position for bargaining on terms; if you really want the job and can cogently back it up (i.e, not go, 'uhhhh' when they ask why), then say it at an appropriate time. ~ Huntsman

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etl
also, is it ok to somehow verbalize that you really want the job? i've heard both sides of this argument. it sort of makes sense to tell them that you want the job but i'm wondering if there's a best way to do this?

If you show that you've prepared well for the interview (through prior research of the company / whatever), they'll get a feeling for your enthusiasm.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If it is a dream job, I would have no problem verbalizing I want it. If you do not want a job, why bother applying for it? Just putting in time until something better comes along, would be the logical answer. Wanting something does not mean you will also not want fair/good wages and perks.

For a peer, I would stress that you are a team player, like support from and give support to your peers, that you enjoy working with people, and have always been told you are "fun" to work with or that you mesh well with others, etc. If you are interviewing with a female peer, be very careful the vibes you throw off, as things can easily be misinterpreted. I would avoid any talk with any personal relationship you might have concerning romance.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should communicate that you want the job, but directly saying "I really want this job!" sounds lame and desperate.

IMO you are better off by saying things like how it is an excellent fit for your career goals and how you think you could be a real contributor to the team, etc. As well as coming across as generally enthusiastic about the position.

etl

Reaction score
thank you all for the feedback. the big day is on thursday at 5 at a downtown gallery. the recruiter has asked me to wear a black suit because the heather gray suit with a blue shirt and zegna tie looked too UES. He was wearing chinos and some crappy denim shirt. I bit my tongue and am preparing to do battle with the downtown hipster scene.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etl
thank you all for the feedback. the big day is on thursday at 5 at a downtown gallery. the recruiter has asked me to wear a black suit because the heather gray suit with a blue shirt and zegna tie looked too UES. He was wearing chinos and some crappy denim shirt. I bit my tongue and am preparing to do battle with the downtown hipster scene.
Ok, be advised -- here is where I should probably shut up. If this is your dream job, then I presume it and the environment suits you. Therefore, I would tend to wear that which I am most comfortable in, provided the requirements of interviewing are met, and weighted towards the milieu of your industry. I hate style advice from morons who only promulgate the rise of slovenlyness. If he had told me that heather grey was too UES and that I should wear black I'd ask why that wouldn't be too dumbass frat boy. ~ Huntsman

etl

Reaction score
Huntsman, i agree with you whole heart. My attitude was that because i already own a few black suits from when i was younger and didn't know any better that it really wasn't that big of a deal to subscribe to the cliche of that environment. If i got the job, I would gradually revert to a more civilized form of dress.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etl
...the recruiter has asked me to wear a black suit...
I do not recommend a solid black suit for business unless in one of the glamour industries, certainly not for an interview. I do not know if you have already purchased, but for the first two interviews either a solid navy or a solid dark grey is very safe and for the third, "screening" interview, a dark grey-pinstripe three-piece is good. White barrel cuff shirt; no pocket square or jewelry other than a small watch and no colonge; black leather-sole oxfords, plain captoe is best; socks to match trousers. For a tie, I suggest a maroon solid, BB#1 stripe or dot.
This article is a good reference: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/WWW/WWW/Job%20Interviewing.htm. The Monster job board also has a reasonable good article about this.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
open posture
eye contact

answer questions using the 'star' method.

Situation
Task
Action
Results

keep answers brief

repeat the question outloud after its been asked if needed

You aren't selling your ability to do the job, your selling the person you are and how much you wat the job.

Treat the interview somewhat like you would a first date.

good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads