• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wearing a tie with jeans

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's something to that last comment. Or it makes an older guy look like he's really trying to look youthful. Ditto the flipflops....

Reaction score
I'd go for it. I always find that jeans are a good 'get of jail free' card when it comes to not wanting to turn up somewhere massively overdressed but not wanting to turn up without your precious pocket squares/blazers/french cuffs etc...

What's totally beyond the pail is jeans, jacket tie, T-shirt.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi's 501 , a white shirt, striped necktie and a blazer with a pair of Berluti loafers always does the trick. It's a classic!

walzter

Reaction score
I wore a navy w/ white pin-dot tie, white shirt w/ blue stripes, Capital E's (the ones I have are fairly skinny and on the side of grey/light blue), and cap-toe oxfords just the other night. It ended up being a bit of a mod look.

Before assembling I was thinking about fashion rules and what SF might have to say, but I ended up with compliments on the look, so I think it turned out well. The outfit carried no pretensions of being for any other sort of occassion that might have a dress code other than a night out at a pub and then a club.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Or it makes an older guy look like he's really trying to look youthful.
Educate me, what's the cut off line between youthful and old guy? lefty

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
Right. Jeans are only to be worn by the most beautiful among us. The rest should of us should not wear jeans or trousers of any kind.
devil.gif

Close. Beautiful women should wear tight fitting jeans or no pants at all. Everyone else . . .

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimothyLeighton
I'd go for it. I always find that jeans are a good 'get of jail free' card when it comes to not wanting to turn up somewhere massively overdressed but not wanting to turn up without your precious pocket squares/blazers/french cuffs etc...

What's totally beyond the pail is jeans, jacket tie, T-shirt.

I agree.

But, how in the world do you wear a tie with a t-shirt?!

Reaction score
The answer is yes:

A casual looking button down paired with a slim knit tie and a pair of slim/skinny jeans with converses or vans will look good.

Or watch the Soup and Joel McHale.

itskub

Reaction score
IMO This combo is a good kind of "try hard". Think about it. Youre walking around town or at a concert on a weekend night, you see people with loud club striped shirts, bright polos, and bright ties, 'humor' t-shirts hoping to get attention. A tie will always get you attention (easy opener for girls, they'll try and grab it, ask to wear it, etc). So throwing a slim solid tie onto a normal,cool outfit (dark jeans, white or light button-up) is not a bad idea at all. No need for dress pants or a jacket. Just go with the jeans.

76classic

Reaction score
Fall-Winter in Michigan....if you are going out to a jazzy spot....jeans with a v-neck sweater & tie is a cool look. If anyone saw CNN Black in America...sort of like what the guy was wearing after they came back from the commercials. A another example would be hip hop artist Common.

Terria

Reaction score
I think one thing about the denim is to be sure it's a dark indigo color, not the lighter stonewashed look. Stonewashed is too casual for the shirt and jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads