• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wearing a tie with jeans

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This look always reminds me of Michael Bolton, don't know why as I've never seen him in a tie but still.

citoyen

Reaction score
never ever combine a tie with jeans. unless you are perfoming a rock concert in front of >15K people. even then it is difficult. so just let-it-be.

it may be working for a 16-year old adolescent who is growing into the world of how-to-dress (or how-not-to-dress) by try and error, or a fourth-hand used car salesman.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm tempted to just say 'no', but I can imagine how it might be done. You need a casual shirt, like an OCBD, a more casual tie (like one with repp stripes), and dark slim-fitting straight leg jeans. Then, maybe.

I see people pull it off all the time. It's very simple. More casual sportcoat, conservative tie (think ivy league rep stripe, wool, or knit), shirt...if someone reading "styleforum" can't figure this out on their own....

TheDroog

Reaction score
I used to do this all the time. Jeans + dress shirt + tie looks great with a tweed or herringbone sport jacket for a more informal, academic look. With a blue blazer it can be slightly dressier.

Try it on in front of a mirror and see if you can pull it off.

jsherman02

Reaction score
To me it is like having whip cream on sh*t. Why even wear jeans? Put a nice pair of pants with the jacket. Why half ass it?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not addressing the jeans, for the moment, a tie with a dress shirt, minus the jacket, can never look inherently wrong as men have for generations appeared like this around the workplace or somewhat dressy setting when it is deemed to be unforcomforable to keep the jacket on. As for the tie with jeans, I guess it's become a somewhat acceptible sporty and youthful look for guys for a certain kind of party, bar, club, visiting, etc. Part of the vocabularly is, indeed, narrow and simple tie, and a more sporty sort of long sleeve shirt - e.g. plaid, checks, more prominent stripes, etc. Again - it must be a long sleeve shirt. And obviously the jeans should be in decent condition.

Biscione

Reaction score
Of course it can look good.

However, in any given outfit of a tie worn with jeans, one would probably look much better if they put on other trousers instead.

I don't agree with the excuse that "it doesn't work because jeans are casual", but I rather feel that from the perspective of utility one would usually find appeal in jeans as a garment that allows dressing down and comfort; a break from wearing a tie rather than an opportunity to wear a tie.

Still, if one wishes to add a certain formality to jeans I don't feel that there should be anything stopping them beyond their own preference.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I wear a tie and jeans often, usually with a blazer. I posted some examples a while back, they werent well received!

I'll also do it with a button down, going for that tie-half-tied look.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of this look and wouldn't wear it, but I have seen guys pull it off fairly well.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
... if you aren't young and fit then you shouldn't be wearing jeans in the first place.
Right. Jeans are only to be worn by the most beautiful among us. The rest should of us should not wear jeans or trousers of any kind.
devil.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do it sometimes, but with very casual ties (like linen, wool, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics