• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I request your thoughts on this tie

bdbb

Reaction score
I find it striking but I'd like some other opinions before getting something this bright. Also, I'm not sure what, other than a white shirt, I'd wear it with. So:

1. Do you like it?
2. What would you wear it with?

chainlinkcd9.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. No. I really don't like it. It looks like a tie by Dr. Seuss for Hermes.
2. A blue shirt.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
1. No. I really don't like it. It looks like a tie by Dr. Seuss for Hermes.
2. A blue shirt.

+1 on both counts, but it certainly could work with a light blue shirt and charcoal suit.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Not a fan of this tie. I prefer woven ties usually.

What is the design supposed to represent?

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic

What is the design supposed to represent?

Why would it need to represent something?
--
Well, it's a good thing I asked first on this tie, looks like it's universally hated. I really like the way it looks in the up close picture but I was mainly worried about how it will look midrange. I guess I'll go for something else then.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdbb
Why would it need to represent something?
Many neckties have obviously abstract designs. Some ties use standard motifs such as dots, flowers, and paisley designs. On the other hand, some striped ties represent the colors of an organization, like a school or a regiment. Some ties have sporting symbols, like birds, hunting dogs, boats, or golf clubs. The latter usually shows that the wearer is interested in that particular sport or hobby. This tie looks like a Hermes, although I'm not sure who made it. Many Hermes ties use motifs derived from horseback riding. Many of their designs that look abstract at a first glance actually turn out to be things like riding caps, stirrups, saddles and other items associated with horses. I was wondering if this was one of those horse-influenced designs.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, it's a good thing I asked first on this tie, looks like it's universally hated. I really like the way it looks in the up close picture but I was mainly worried about how it will look midrange. I guess I'll go for something else then.

Bear in mind, Hermes-style prints get little love around here. You were doomed from the start. But if you like it, take us with a grain of salt.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it.

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Bear in mind, Hermes-style prints get little love around here. You were doomed from the start. But if you like it, take us with a grain of salt.

I will keep this bias in mind. I wasn't planning on building a wardrobe out of hermes ties. Rather, most of my ties are either diagonal stripes, or just a solid color with a small pattern with the shapes around .75 to 1 inch apart. So, I wanted a few ties that were a bit bolder and more interesting to round it out, but it's hard to pick ties like that and be relatively assured that most people will think they look nice.

tlmusic

Reaction score
So, I wanted a few ties that were a bit bolder and more interesting to round it out, but it's hard to pick ties like that and be relatively assured that most people will think they look nice.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Anytime you wear a tie with a bold or flashy design, you run the risk of not everyone liking it.

If you like a tie, and believe in it, then wear it in good health. Sometimes it's good not to be bland or 'correct'. Some people will like it, others won't. YMMV

bror.00

Reaction score
1) Sorry, not a fan of this tie. Bit too much of an optical illusion effect for me.
2) If I was going to wear it, I'd go for a plain white shirt.

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I think you hit the nail on the head. Anytime you wear a tie with a bold or flashy design, you run the risk of not everyone liking it.

If you like a tie, and believe in it, then wear it in good health. Sometimes it's good not to be bland or 'correct'. Some people will like it, others won't. YMMV

This was my thinking as well...but I guess I want to shoot for a better ratio of like to dislike than I've seen in this thread. I'm probably only going to get 2-3 hermes (or hermes style) ties for now since they're expensive and not something to be worn often, so I'm trying to pick the few that I get carefully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics