• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Black Label Photos

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do all of you size up for RL black label? i mean if you are a 38, do you go up to 40?

7173jhn

Reaction score
I do not size up, I am pretty skinny but I usually wear a 40r in suits and wear a 40L or 40R in RLBL. I have noticed in some other threads that people say they size up for slim suits but I don't understand why. It seems like the sleeves or length would be off too much if you did. If you aren't a particularly skinny guy why try and get a suit that was never designed for your body type?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
do all of you size up for RL black label? i mean if you are a 38, do you go up to 40?

I think it depends on your body type. You'll notice that with BL the taper from shoulder to chest is pretty significant and the waist is very narrow. The arm holes are also the highest I've experienced with RTW. If you are thin and have relatively broad shoulders you probably don't need to size up.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not size up either. I wear a 38 in Polo Ralph Lauren as well. It seems if you are going for the trim silhouette that defines black label, then sizing up would defeat the purpose. The nipped waist is the deal breaker for some folks I would imagine. In that case, you might need to size up, but I have found no need to do so.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I was searching the WAYWT thread and noticed the same thing---there are no pictures of people wearing Black Label, even though a lot of people rave about them.

I just received a charcoal nailhead jacket from Holdfast and I have another Navy suit on the way from the B&S. Their jackets fit magnificently on me off the rack, and the shorter length allows me to where regulars no problem when I'd look for shorts in other brands. And the quality is very good, quality fabrics, good detailing, canvassed, nice pick-stitching---if you can find them at a good discount and they fit you, snatch them up. I'll post pics of mine when they're back from the tailor.

In regards to sizing up, I think that Black Label (and RLPL) just happen to run a bit smaller than some other lower-end American brands, in my experience. I have a Hugo Boss suit I bought about 5 years ago that's probably a full 1.5-2" bigger in the shoulders at the same size. But as with any suit---get the size that the shoulders fit, and if you can't make the rest look good with some tailoring, you're buying the wrong brand.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Glad you like the jacket.

The trouble I have with Black Label is that the sizes just don't fit me all that well off the rack. The 36 is a little too snug and the 38 doesn't fit quite well enough to justify tailoring it to fit right. I once came across a 37 in Black Label which fit just right and regret not buying it in hindsight.

If it fits, though, I think it's a very cool silhouette. Strong shoulders, tapered waist, nice flare to the skirt and a modern length. Good stuff.

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
black pencil stripe:

navy pinstripe:

I'm not very good at taking pictures. These really don't show the shape of the suit well.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GTR
^ Black Label works better for slimmer body types.

Yeah, like most other things. Thanks for the great insight.
plain.gif

Nahmeanz, suit looks good from what I can see. Next time try taking pictures from a farther distance and/or higher angle. Better lighting would help, as well.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223

Sizing up would be a big mistake, IME. I had to return a RLBL suit because I went up from 42 to 44. And I don't think BL runs short either...

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Sizing up would be a big mistake, IME. I had to return a RLBL suit because I went up from 42 to 44. And I don't think BL runs short either...

It does run short, or rather, it is intentionally cut shorter as a stylistic choice.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
All the models on the website are shorter cut, around the highest thumb knuckle, but everyone in these photos's suits, they are longer than thier thumbs. did you all size up, or is it just like this?
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Originally Posted by sartort
(sleeves need shortening)
Originally Posted by Nahmeanz
black pencil stripe: navy pinstripe: I'm not very good at taking pictures. These really don't show the shape of the suit well.
[

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
All the models on the website are shorter cut, around the highest thumb knuckle, but everyone in these photos's suits, they are longer than thier thumbs. did you all size up, or is it just like this?

The sole RLBL suit (44R) I bought runs longer than my thumb too with the top button (2B) sitting on/slightly below my navel . Given the position of the pockets I don't think I could shorten the skirts without throwing off the balance of the jacket so I would have to return it. I am in between 42R/44R so I guess I 'sized up'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics