• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pkincy

Reaction score
Am I the only one, but reading this thread makes one thing certain......I will never order a pair of RMWilliams boots.

I certainly do appreciate the great effort that Sator has put in to this epic. But my mind simply can not grasp the calculus necessary to size the boot.

Perry

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always buy one and sell it here if it doesn't fit.

gopherblue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
Am I the only one, but reading this thread makes one thing certain......I will never order a pair of RMWilliams boots. I certainly do appreciate the great effort that Sator has put in to this epic. But my mind simply can not grasp the calculus necessary to size the boot. Perry
Well, I love my RM Williams, but I will agree with one thing: I really think it is impossible to buy RMWs sight-unseen in the proper size. One must actually try on the boots to assure the proper fit. My example: I am a 10.5F in the Craftsman, but a 11F in the Gardener. Two different lasts--two different fits. Given the inherent differences in the lasts for the various boots, there is simply no exact, consistent way to confirm sizing across the RMW brand, let alone in comparision to one's sizing in another shoe/boot brand.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gopherblue
Well, I love my RM Williams, but I will agree with one thing: I really think it is impossible to buy RMWs sight-unseen in the proper size. One must actually try on the boots to assure the proper fit. My example: I am a 10.F in the Craftsman, but a 11F in the Gardener. Two different lasts--two different fits. Given the inherent differences in the lasts for the various boots, there is simply no exact, consistent way to confirm sizing across the RMW brand, let alone in comparision to one's sizing in another shoe/boot brand.

Even in the same last I need different sizes - the stockman boot I need to go down half a size from the craftsman which is on the same last - the stockman is the same shape but a much looser fit as it only tightens at the ankle.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the sizing is not easy. I would have never guessed my size without trying them on (9.5D US = 8G)

Murray

Reaction score
You blokes muat have weird feet. I was measured by RMW and as a consequence am an 11G. I have three pairs of Craftsmen, one pair of Comfort Craftsmen, one pair of MacQuarie and a pair of Stockmen, all of which are 11G and fit properly. In fact, I have a pair of Justin cowboy boots in a US 12 (AUS 11) which fit really well also. It is rare that a pair of size 11's won't fit me.

Like you blokes, I can't follow this fitment drama or the reason that you need different sized boots depending on type. I think it is important to note that these boots are not custom sized. They can be MTO; but for style, heel, leather etc.

It is important to go to a RMW store and get measured if you cannot achieve a consistent fitting. If you don't have access to a store, their catalogue usually has a fitment chart in it. Failing that, you may have to forego wearing the best set of boots made today.

Cheers....

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually decided mine fit pretty good and I am going to keep them I think. Next time I may try to size differently but these are pretty awesome.

AdamInSF

Reaction score
I have Gardeners in 12G, which are fan-freaking-tastic (casual) boots, I tried on Craftsmen in yearling at Aussie Fair in San Francisco, and a 12G fit me perfectly, and I normally wear a US 13D.

I can't wait until finances allow the purchase of Crafstmen in brown veal - they're wonderful.

As a side note, I'm saddened that I had to go to Aussie Fair to check size, only to plan to order from the internet at a later date, but AF's prices are totally nuts! I'd cheerfully pay $50 for the convenience of buying locally and supporting a small business, but they don't even have the calf, and the yearling craftsmen are US$400 - yikes!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
The last thing I read in this thread is that it is not but it's listed as a custom order on Nungar Trading Co. website.

Caveat emptor always, but particularly when dealing with Nungar.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rando
Is nungar still the way to go to or should I order with someone else?

For reasons stated earlier in the thread, I'd suggest order from someone else.

eidolon

Reaction score
For the time being I've decided against picking up the forum specials, I might just order the turnouts. Contacted Aussiebushhats and they were unfamiliar with the B529 last, and I was quoted at around 380AUS. I might get in touch with bootsonline, but if he's going to quote me a similar price the 100+AUS difference is pretty substantial and I'd rather spend that money on something else.
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I agree the sizing is not easy. I would have never guessed my size without trying them on (9.5D US = 8G)
I'm a 10.5 E in most shoes (including AE's that are on a slightly wider last than Park Avenues), and 9.5 H (wide) in the craftsman fits me pretty much perfectly.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good cream/polish combination for Crafstmans in Dark Tan? I'd by OK with a little more red in them but otherwise I like the color as it is, I just want to soften and protect it. I've heard that neutral creams can mute the color or leave a whitish residue.

Also, I've never used a cream before, do you recommend that I apply the cream and polish back to back or alternate them every few weeks or so? I've searched the topic, but I'm soliciting for opinions again as they seem to vary. I used a neutral cream and brown polish back to back and seemed to get some streaking in the polish which I did not like.

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd give medium brown a try (Meltonian brand shoe cream).

I usually dont apply cream AND paste; I find myself using paste regularly, and cream only every once in a while.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Can anyone recommend a good cream/polish combination for Crafstmans in Dark Tan? I'd by OK with a little more red in them but otherwise I like the color as it is, I just want to soften and protect it. I've heard that neutral creams can mute the color or leave a whitish residue.

Also, I've never used a cream before, do you recommend that I apply the cream and polish back to back or alternate them every few weeks or so? I've searched the topic, but I'm soliciting for opinions again as they seem to vary. I used a neutral cream and brown polish back to back and seemed to get some streaking in the polish which I did not like.

Use a medium brown cream polish maybe once every six months or once a year. Its main purpose to to keep the leather from drying out (unless you're making a conscious effort to change the color of the boots, which I take it you're not). For polish/shine and scuff protection, just use wax polish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads