• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watering holes - best bars/clubs in your town

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
to add a couple more to Whodini's LA area list:

-Good Luck Bar, just a short walk from Dresden. Different vibe than Dresden but a really cool place

this used to be my hangout when i lived a couple of blocks away, about 7 years ago. i had some bad experiences with the staff, so i never think to go anymore.

the bordello sounds interesting. thanks for the tip.

zupermaus

Reaction score
London, you got 8000 pubs to choose from and countless bars. For outrageous design there's Loungelover just off Brick Lane (the new party capital btw)- all stuffed animals in a neo-baroque interior, housed in a small warehouse, with prices to match. In summer go to Brick Lane and check out the carpark off Truman Brewery, they change it into a beach every year complete with palm trees and deck chairs, a Jamaican bar and a Laotian foodvan.

For good ole fashioned English pubs head into The City financial district, among the alleyways youll find 300 year old taverns, eg Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - sawdust on the floor, 5.5 foot high doorways and creaking walls. For a funky twist in old surroundings, the Windsor Castle in Notting Hill (Look out for the geezer in period dress- he's actually the resident ghost).

For superclubs youre spoilt for choice in London: Pasha for an Iberian vibe, Fabric for the ultimate, but whatever you do head away from Ministry of Sound or Heaven (its all tourists). These supeclubs are VERY passe now in London, you wont find the vibe that was there a few years ago.

Instead head for the new crazes in clubland: Burlesque, craft nights (I kid ye not, from knitting to painting), bowling and 'tea dances' (anything but). The coolest club in the world at the mo is The Bethnal Geen Working men's Club - tatty, 50s formica, dare-I-say-it terrible music and no door policy. It attracts the posers, celebrities and artists in droves, and is just a blinding night out.

Also look out for Espookio, where evry night is halloween:

http://www.optimo.co.uk/evidence2007.htm

For gay bars Soho is the starting point, a nightlife/sex/media/restaurant/theatre/Chinatown district that sees in crowds of 500,000 passing through in a night and doubling on weekends. However the conservative council has cracked down and booze can only be served till 2am. At which point everyone decamps to the East End or for the gays, Vauxhall. Vauxhall is muscleboy heaven in the form of Crash and Fire clubs, along with a strip of bars. DO NOT do Heaven, once again its all tourists.

About half a million people go clubbing in London, millions drinking, and its claimed as the best nightlife in the world (though Madrid and Tokyo might have something to say about that). For live music too its unmatched, almost every band plays here at some point, with numerous venues and hundreds of gigs on any given night.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry dude, gotta disagree with you on a few of these...

Longlover - well past its prime unless you are after z level celebs or clinging-on city boys... or maybe you won a lottery ticket?? Take it to 1001.

Cheshire Cheese - Tourist trap... I take my parents there for a quick pint when they are in town... "Dickens wrote here, dark corridors, blah, blah, blah..."

Pasha... Or do you mean Pacha?

What are you talking about with the Bethnal Green Working Mens Club??? while it hosts the ToT it is also still old school and does have criteria. Hipster bullshit withstanding, its a men's club.

You really need to quit quoting tour books... or at least cite them

K

Originally Posted by zupermaus
London, you got 8000 pubs to choose from and countless bars. For outrageous design there's Loungelover just off Brick Lane (the new party capital btw)- all stuffed animals in a neo-baroque interior, housed in a small warehouse, with prices to match. In summer go to Brick Lane and check out the carpark off Truman Brewery, they change it into a beach every year complete with palm trees and deck chairs, a Jamaican bar and a Laotian foodvan.

For good ole fashioned English pubs head into The City financial district, among the alleyways youll find 300 year old taverns, eg Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - sawdust on the floor, 5.5 foot high doorways and creaking walls. For a funky twist in old surroundings, the Windsor Castle in Notting Hill (Look out for the geezer in period dress- he's actually the resident ghost).

For superclubs youre spoilt for choice in London: Pasha for an Iberian vibe, Fabric for the ultimate, but whatever you do head away from Ministry of Sound or Heaven (its all tourists). These supeclubs are VERY passe now in London, you wont find the vibe that was there a few years ago.

Instead head for the new crazes in clubland: Burlesque, craft nights (I kid ye not, from knitting to painting), bowling and 'tea dances' (anything but). The coolest club in the world at the mo is The Bethnal Geen Working men's Club - tatty, 50s formica, dare-I-say-it terrible music and no door policy. It attracts the posers, celebrities and artists in droves, and is just a blinding night out.

Also look out for Espookio, where evry night is halloween:

http://www.optimo.co.uk/evidence2007.htm

For gay bars Soho is the starting point, a nightlife/sex/media/restaurant/theatre/Chinatown district that sees in crowds of 500,000 passing through in a night and doubling on weekends. However the conservative council has cracked down and booze can only be served till 2am. At which point everyone decamps to the East End or for the gays, Vauxhall. Vauxhall is muscleboy heaven in the form of Crash and Fire clubs, along with a strip of bars. DO NOT do Heaven, once again its all tourists.

About half a million people go clubbing in London, millions drinking, and its claimed as the best nightlife in the world (though Madrid and Tokyo might have something to say about that). For live music too its unmatched, almost every band plays here at some point, with numerous venues and hundreds of gigs on any given night.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
to add a couple more to Whodini's LA area list:

-Good Luck Bar, just a short walk from Dresden. Different vibe than Dresden but a really cool place

I know we've talked about this but I still can't believe you're recommending the Joy Luck Club. It's got an interesting-enough "Kill Bill" vibe but I figured your rounder eyes would have gotten tired of it like I did after a few minutes.

And who would walk from the Dresden down to there?
confused.gif
That's like four or five city blocks. Still think you live in Europe?

jkw

Reaction score
London.

Of many places, I recommend Montgomery Place in W11. Fantastic drinks, decent prices (~£9), nice place. Music is a little loud, but at least its quite good.

Recently went to Tamangang, no.1 Park Lane. The restaurant looks nice, but definately one of the nicest bars I've been to in a while. Themed, with cool decor and music. The drinks are quite good and rather reasonably priced.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charlotte, near UNCC:

- Flying Saucer - Very cool irish pub that's always slammed...and for good reason! IIRC, they had over 300 beers, great staff, a great bar, very nice irish pub with a nice patio to eat at, if desired.
http://www.beerknurd.com/

-Rira's - It's described as an 'irish pub/bistro'; it is a great irish pub, but upscale and serves terrific true irish pub food. It's a bit pricey, but worth trying.
http://www.rira.com/

-Stool Pigeons - It's usually quieter and not terribly busy, not a spectacular bar in any specific area, but it's a nice place to grab some food, have a few drinks, and relax or get some work done with some good beer.

Northern Georgia:

-Taco Mac @ Mall of Georgia: huge sports bar at a good location. Has over 300 beers and the 'Passport Club' so you can keep track of your alcoholic endeavors with prizes awarded after trying so many different beers. Pretty good food as well, it's a great place to get off work, swagger in watch the game with some drinks. The MOG location is much better than the other locations in Georgia I've been to.
http://tacomac.com/

-The Thirsty Turtle @ Oasis Bowling Alley - Corney, yes. But this is a fairly good bar in a nice room to the side of the bowling alley. One of the few places left in Georgia that you can smoke in, it is busy on the weekends and is a great place to drink while playing pool with some friends. Don't judge it by the website!
http://www.oasisbowl.com/Buford/turtle/

-Loafing Leprechaun @ Gwinnett - Cool irish pub down off Sugarloaf Parkway with a good selection of beer.
http://www.loafingleprechaun.com/

-Bailey's @ Gwinnett - Similar to Loafing Leprechaun, I like the LL better. Good irish pub in a big building with a lot to do.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
-Taco Mac @ Mall of Georgia: huge sports bar at a good location. Has over 300 beers and the 'Passport Club' so you can keep track of your alcoholic endeavors with prizes awarded after trying so many different beers. Pretty good food as well, it's a great place to get off work, swagger in watch the game with some drinks. The MOG location is much better than the other locations in Georgia I've been to.
http://tacomac.com/

Taco Mac on Roswell Road (the North one) used to be my regular bar.

They had some of the hottest bartenders on earth

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
^ Yep, they do tend to keep you distracted from the TVs though
laugh.gif

Yeah, but if you make friendly with them they will hook you up with drinks in a major way.

And if you make reaaaaaallllly friendly, then...

I miss Taco Mac

K

callen

Reaction score
the JCT Bar on the westside of atlanta is a real cool spot. great view of downtown, very relaxed scene.

Jimifacs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Taco Mac on Roswell Road (the North one) used to be my regular bar.

They had some of the hottest bartenders on earth

K

Unfortunately it is not a Taco Mac anymore as the franchise period is over and the owner no longer wanted to pay the exorbitant franchise fees. Even worse, the place has gone to hell, the clientele is horrendous and the bartenders are no longer attractive in the least. I still go in from time to time but I always miss the way it used to be.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Brooklyn, NYC (Carroll Gardens) The best place in this neighborhood - hands down - has got to be the Clover Club http://www.cloverclubny.com/ The seating is comfortable, the design is beautiful, the staff is friendly, the prices are fair, and the cocktails are old-school and perfect. I absolutely love this place. If there are any SF members in the area, we usually go there in a small group every Tuesday at 8:30.
clover.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics