• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that are coasting off their reputation

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Brook Brothers....wow, totally slid, perhaps they will come back but I wont continue to purchase their wares.

I think BB has improved markedly under their new ownership.

contaygious

Reaction score
Zegna, they used to be top notch. Now it is rare to find anything made in their homeland. Some of the swiss made stuff looks ok, but the mexican stuff is not.
Brook Brothers....wow, totally slid, perhaps they will come back but I wont continue to purchase their wares.
Nordstroms house labels.

How can you put zegna in this category? All my zegna conists of top quality fabrics. Sure it's expensive, but you can't really put it in the same boat as TH lol.

I would say D&G and Prada. Sure they make some great items that even I own, but charging 800+ for a white dress shirt that doesn't match up to the quality of something you can find for 125 and getting away with is the definition of coasting off of reputation.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coach built their good name through extremely nice leather goods that would last a lifetime. Now they crank out hideous fashion **** for the masses at exhorbitant prices.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attolini
Rubinacci
Vass
colgate.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
How can you put zegna in this category? All my zegna conists of top quality fabrics. Sure it's expensive, but you can't really put it in the same boat as TH lol.

I would say D&G and Prada. Sure they make some great items that even I own, but charging 800+ for a white dress shirt that doesn't match up to the quality of something you can find for 125 and getting away with is the definition of coasting off of reputation.

My point is both BB and Zegna have slid.
Looking at an older Zegna blazer vs. a new one, there are huge differences in the quality of construction....this is a fact.

Brooks Brothers....I havent been in one very recently, and frankly they have lost me.

I would also add the American auto industry.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't seen huge increases in the quality of Brooks' stuff, but I do think the mainline stores are moving in the right direction. Most of their merch I find pretty sturdy, and of reasonable quality for the price. (At Brooks' pricepoint, I don't expect garments lovingly handstitched by little ladies in the Italian countryside.) And in terms of brand identity, I think Brooks has a much better grasp of what it is than it did a few years ago. Say what you will about Thom Browne, but the Black Fleece line is the most interesting offering from Brooks in years.

Having heaped all that praise, I do think they're making some grave errors with the outlets/diffusion efforts, but that's another topic.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point is both BB and Zegna have slid.
Looking at an older Zegna blazer vs. a new one, there are huge differences in the quality of construction....this is a fact.

Brooks Brothers....I havent been in one very recently, and frankly they have lost me.

I would also add the American auto industry.

Are you sure this doesn't just have to do with which lines you are looking at? Originally, it was just "Zegna," but now there's the Zegna Sport, Z-Zegna, etc. While I have mainline suits made in Switzerland, only my Z suits are from Mexico. I've only recently started buying the mainline stuff, so I cannot comment on its past quality. However, while they've expanded into the realm of lower-quality, lower priced apparel and have sold that by trading on their image as one of the world's finest suit makers, that doesn't mean that the original line has dropped in quality.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I think BB has improved markedly under their new ownership.

+1

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Are you sure this doesn't just have to do with which lines you are looking at? Originally, it was just "Zegna," but now there's the Zegna Sport, Z-Zegna, etc. While I have mainline suits made in Switzerland, only my Z suits are from Mexico. I've only recently started buying the mainline stuff, so I cannot comment on its past quality. However, while they've expanded into the realm of lower-quality, lower priced apparel and have sold that by trading on their image as one of the world's finest suit makers, that doesn't mean that the original line has dropped in quality.

My point exactly....what they were is not what they are now. Coasting off of the rep. as one of the finest suit makers in the world. I am not saying they are crap, just not what made the name the titan they have become, and have not held to the high standard that brought them there.
I am only speaking of their mainline.

Oh, Lands End. I just found a bunch of shirts I bought in the early 90's, most of them had shell buttons!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I'm of the same opinion regarding Hilfiger.

As for the "H" line, the ads in the magazines looked great, but I never actually found any clothing in the stores. Was it even distributed outside of New York/LA? OK, I'll admit, I didn't look that hard
smile.gif

It was relatively widely available in Atlanta, actually, at Macy's!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, at one time Hugo Boss used to have very high quality clothing, say circa 1985. I bought an oxford cloth shirt, made in Switzerland, that had the most amazing oxford fabric. I'd love to have another like that. They also used these wonderful concave pearl buttons that I have never found again.

I guess, that is the way most of these major brands start, isn't it? They have quality, design, style and then they become diluted as they grow, take on financial investors and seek to cut costs a little bit here and a little bit there. Eventually those little bits add up and they end up coasting on a previous rep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads