• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Football --- Euro '08, Transfers, etc.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
For Germany? What are you talking about?

Devastating for me as a fan in the sense that they came so close in both.

2002 was a bit weird since noone expected them to reach the final anyway, but 2006 was a heartbreaker. That tournament shouldve been theirs.

Hard to consider anything but the cup as satisfactory.

And yes, holland-italy game was amazing, havent had that much fun watching in a long time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
And yes, holland-italy game was amazing, havent had that much fun watching in a long time.

I enjoyed watching this game while having a great meal in an Italian restaurant. It was really fun to watch, and I'm not a soccer enthusiast.

WN2

Reaction score
I have probably never seen Italy play this bad. Especially the defense was a bad joke and Toni was pretty useless up front.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italy lost. What a shame.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One could take the alternate view: The Netherlands played very well.

(I only saw the last 15 minutes so I can't say myself; I'm just posing the thought.)

b

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1st goal by Van Nistelrooy was a joke- he was 10 feet offside. The 2nd and 3rd were terrific. The 2nd especially... that counter attack was BEAUTIFUL.

Italy has a laughable amount of talent everywhere, but they looked out of it from the start.

We're cheering for Croatia and Poland at my house.

manicturncoat

Reaction score
Italy vs. Netherlands. Netherlands played very well but Italy had some bad luck. First goal was completely offsides, on the second goal Netherlands made a great counterattack but Buffon made a clumsy error by coming out with his face covered, he should have defended the post and could have easily blocked the shot. Van der Sar made two incredible saves that could have got Italy back in the game. If Donadoni makes the right changes, in particular, off with Materazzi and Gattuso and in with Chiellini and De Rossi we should have chance, especially if Romania and France continue to play the way they did.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
Italy vs. Netherlands. Netherlands played very well but Italy had some bad luck. First goal was completely offsides, on the second goal Netherlands made a great counterattack but Buffon made a clumsy error by coming out with his face covered, he should have defended the post and could have easily blocked the shot. Van der Sar made two incredible saves that could have got Italy back in the game. If Donadoni makes the right changes, in particular, off with Materazzi and Gattuso and in with Chiellini and De Rossi we should have chance, especially if Romania and France continue to play the way they did.

Agreed (esp. re: Materazzi
eh.gif
). I thought Holland did play well, although RVN looks like the missing link. I've seen the official UEFA ruling on his goal and still think he was ofsides. Panucci's 'own momentum ' didn't carry him into touch - Buffon nailed him as he tried to punch clear (and seemed to give him an extra rap for good measure - he wasn't looking and was probably trying to hit the Dutch attacker). Toni had a ****** game and wasted the two best oppurtunities they had (1st half - tried to turn a fairly difficult header on goal when an open, perfectly positioned Di Natale was pleading for the ball a mere five away; 2nd half - sprang the off-side trap but magic touch turned to lead on Cassano's nice through chip). Time to mix things up!

manicturncoat

Reaction score
What is interesting about the UEFA ruling is if, in fact, Panucci was holding the Dutch player onside then he should be given a Yellow card, by the same UEFA rules, for leaving the pitch during play. Since he was forced off the pitch(by Buffon) and did not leave voluntarily the goal should not stand.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I am going to cry. If Italy loses Friday..WTF!?!
It might be time for a fresh team.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I am still in shock at the Italy game. Gattuso, Ambrosini, Barzagli off. They need to play Grosso, De Rossi and Perrotta from the start.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
I am still in shock at the Italy game. Gattuso, Ambrosini, Barzagli off. They need to play Grosso, De Rossi and Perrotta from the start.

Donadoni is blind to the realities of this year's Milan midfield. I would leave Pirlo, but Gattuso should sit - Camo, too. Ambrosini should not have been selected for the squad....

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is interesting about the UEFA ruling is if, in fact, Panucci was holding the Dutch player onside then he should be given a Yellow card, by the same UEFA rules, for leaving the pitch during play. Since he was forced off the pitch(by Buffon) and did not leave voluntarily the goal should not stand.

I don't think intent matters in this case. It doesn't matter if he was maliciously off the field or not.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since he was forced off the pitch(by Buffon) and did not leave voluntarily the goal should not stand.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that the rule states that if your own player forces you over the end line then your opponent should be penalized (i.e. called off-sides)? That makes no sense to me. I'll take your word for it, because I'm no rules expert, but it simply makes no sense.

This interpretation/exact reading (whichever it is) would allow for purposefully pushing your own teammate out in order to get an opponent offsides.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads