• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of running questions

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As the title states, I just have a couple of running questions. My main goal is just to lose a few pounds and stay active and I want to take it a bit serious. I searched and couldn't really find a good answer.

(1) Is it bad to jog/run everyday? I plan to jog about 30-40 minutes a day and other than it being bad on the knees, are there any other problems it may cause? Should running/jogging be every other day or is it fine to do it on a daily basis or 5-6 days a week?

(2) Is there a plateau with running? Should I change it up every week or so? Or should I just set my goal to increasing my running distance? At the moment, I go about 4 laps around a park, should I just keep running the same pace and just keep increasing it as I get better stamina? I don't really want to do HIIT because I wouldn't last that long and I prefer a steady pace but any other advice would be helpful.

(3) Speaking of pace, I feel like I can run a lot farther/longer when I pace myself. I usually jog 4-5 minutes and then walk for 1-2 minutes and then jog again. It's pretty much a routine. Is this a good pace for what I am trying to accomplish? I know this question somewhat stems off from the last question, so sorry about that.

(4) Last question, I'm not really planning on getting buff but I am planning on lifting wights as well. Nothing extensive but just to tone some parts of my body, like arms and chest. Is it still adviseable to add whey or protein shakes in my diet to help speed up the process or am I better off saving my money since I am not planning on going overboard on this part? Would these shakes/powder still help if I just stick to running/jogging?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Nothing extensive but just to tone some parts of my body, like arms and chest.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
In the time it took you to write this post you could've probably run three miles. Quick answers anyway: 1. No. 2. Depends on your goals -- speed, distance, etc. 3. Don't 'jog'. You sound like prat when you say 'jog'. Of course you run farther when you pace yourself. That doesn't mean you should walk a marathon. Set a goal (speed or distance) and quit thinking about the damn thing and actually do it. 4. See the rolling eyes above. You're better off talking to girls than showing them your arms and chest (which they won't see if they can't get past basic things like your inability to communicate and your total nerdiness about things like whether running every day is 'bad' or not).

jamoo

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but my advice would be to just get a good pair of shoes and go. It's running, don't over think it. If you're training for a race, you might want to mix in some speedwork, hills, tempo runs, etc., but mostly you should be focusing on LSD - long slow distances.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif
I know it's a lot of question but I just wanted some information on it so that I don't waste my time. Ever since warm weather started, I started running as well. I just don't want to hurt myself by running everyday or don't want to run when I'm doing it wrong and not gain anything from it.

I'm not really doing the toning up for the ladies (although it doesn't hurt
smile.gif
) but for the most part, I am encouraged by results. If I keep doing what i'm doing and I don't see any results, I know that I would give up and stop doing it. Plus summer is coming, it wouldn't hurt to have some definitions when going to the beach.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with learning what I want to do to avoid any negative effects.

Thanks for the help though, I'll set my goal for distance running and keep running everyday then. Appreciate it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really doing the toning up for the ladies...

Oh, sorry. The guys may appreciate it too.

I hear it's easier to get laid if you swing that way, though.

www.manhunt.com is a good resource.

rimshot.gif

dimshum

Reaction score
Definitely invest in a pair of good running shoes, it makes all the difference. Bad shoes are conducive to knee/joint problems in the long run; when you're running long distances everyday, that's the last thing you need.

For a good pair of running shoes, I'd suggest either a pair of New Balances or Asics. I know that Foot Locker offers a great lifetime warrentee for Asics.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a decent running shoe. Last year I made a mistake of running in my trainer sheos and I developed heel spur on my left foot. Now that I have a decent to good running shoes, now problems so far.

I'm no expert but I don't think it is bad to run after lifting weights, I've actually seen plenty of people do cardios after working out. ANyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the title states, I just have a couple of running questions. My main goal is just to lose a few pounds and stay active and I want to take it a bit serious. I searched and couldn't really find a good answer.

(1) Is it bad to jog/run everyday? I plan to jog about 30-40 minutes a day and other than it being bad on the knees, are there any other problems it may cause? Should running/jogging be every other day or is it fine to do it on a daily basis or 5-6 days a week?

(2) Is there a plateau with running? Should I change it up every week or so? Or should I just set my goal to increasing my running distance? At the moment, I go about 4 laps around a park, should I just keep running the same pace and just keep increasing it as I get better stamina? I don't really want to do HIIT because I wouldn't last that long and I prefer a steady pace but any other advice would be helpful.

(3) Speaking of pace, I feel like I can run a lot farther/longer when I pace myself. I usually jog 4-5 minutes and then walk for 1-2 minutes and then jog again. It's pretty much a routine. Is this a good pace for what I am trying to accomplish? I know this question somewhat stems off from the last question, so sorry about that.

(4) Last question, I'm not really planning on getting buff but I am planning on lifting wights as well. Nothing extensive but just to tone some parts of my body, like arms and chest. Is it still adviseable to add whey or protein shakes in my diet to help speed up the process or am I better off saving my money since I am not planning on going overboard on this part? Would these shakes/powder still help if I just stick to running/jogging?

I quoted cause I kept forgetting what you were asking...

1. No residual issues... and if your severely overweight that is considerably worse for your knees than running.

2. Whatever plateau you have with running is so far off it isn't even worth thinking about. Feel free to change things up to keep things interesting. Also, I would recommend interchanging longer steady states with shorter, faster paces or intervals.

3. Whatever pace you run at, up it and push yourself.

4. You can't really go wrong with whey. But just judging from what you have posted here, it doesn't really seem necessary.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

i know there's alot of debate about whey and stuff, but i say if you want to help your muscles for now it never hurts to just go simple stuff from the market like egg whites, chicken , fish, milk. whey protein shakes are great too.
i focus on my upper arms and chest as well, but i go for a bit more size than just tone, so i need the whey or other proteins more than you.
for just health and toning, just eat healthfully, no junk, and that should take care of what you need

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an older runner. I have four marathons under the belt and run in at least three halfs per year. So, my two cents:

1. Running every day is great for your heart, lungs, and over all conditioning. It is NOT bad for the knees so long as you are careful in increasing mileage, wear the right shoes, and focus on correct form.

2. A good running program can include a mix of different runs. The vast majority ought be simple runs at a conversational pace. Once every week you can work on slowly extending your distance. The longer runs should be at a slightly slower pace. Once per week you can work in intervals or hills. There are many great resources on the web and in Runner's World for beginning runners to build a training plan. To avoid injury, do not try to do too much to fast. Build a nice foundation of about 20 miles per week first.

3. Run/walk is fine at the beginning. Eventually, you should get to just running. Try to do the majority of your runs at a pace where you can engage in full sentences - this is known as a conversational pace. If you are limited to short phrases or just one word bursts when you run, your pace is way too quick for a simple run (but may be fine for interval training).

4. Running and weight lifting can be great compliments. However, there really is no such thing as "toning'. When one lifts, if one has a calorie surplus, one adds bulk (much of which is muscle). Running can burn through a calorie surplus and cause weight loss. It is very difficult to add muscle while doing any appreciable amount of running. That said, you will strip fat from the muscle you do have and you ought be healthier and look better. Also, runners burn carbs. If you drop too many carbs from the diet, you will feel sluggish and your performance will drop.
Finally, lift first, run after. A good run is tiring; you want to lift with a full tank of energy.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Guy knows his stuff. Listen to him.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the help and detailed answers. I'll print a copy of this thread just to keep up with all the advice. I really appreciate it.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the help and detailed answers. I'll print a copy of this thread just to keep up with all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Your call, but I would strongly recommend a more detailed and comprehensive read. I know and run with the authors. While I disagree with some of their advice for advanced runners, their programs for beginners and intermediates is terrific.

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-Handbo.../dp/0140469303

Also, some folk like Jeff Galloway's approach. See

http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book...2510510&sr=1-1

Galloway builds in too much walking for my taste, but YMMV.

In any event, as corny as it sounds, the only way to learn to run is to run - so back away from the keyboard and go have fun.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
4. Running and weight lifting can be great compliments. However, there really is no such thing as "toning'. When one lifts, if one has a calorie surplus, one adds bulk (much of which is muscle). Running can burn through a calorie surplus and cause weight loss. It is very difficult to add muscle while doing any appreciable amount of running. That said, you will strip fat from the muscle you do have and you ought be healthier and look better. Also, runners burn carbs. If you drop too many carbs from the diet, you will feel sluggish and your performance will drop.
Finally, lift first, run after. A good run is tiring; you want to lift with a full tank of energy.

One of the more straightforward answers to this question I've seen. Very nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics