• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of running questions

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Your call, but I would strongly recommend a more detailed and comprehensive read. I know and run with the authors. While I disagree with some of their advice for advanced runners, their programs for beginners and intermediates is terrific.

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-Handbo.../dp/0140469303

Also, some folk like Jeff Galloway's approach. See

http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book...2510510&sr=1-1

Galloway builds in too much walking for my taste, but YMMV.

In any event, as corny as it sounds, the only way to learn to run is to run - so back away from the keyboard and go have fun.

Thanks for the reading suggestions, I'm going to have to look into it.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
As the title states, I just have a couple of running questions. My main goal is just to lose a few pounds and stay active and I want to take it a bit serious. I searched and couldn't really find a good answer.

(1) Is it bad to jog/run everyday? I plan to jog about 30-40 minutes a day and other than it being bad on the knees, are there any other problems it may cause? Should running/jogging be every other day or is it fine to do it on a daily basis or 5-6 days a week?

(2) Is there a plateau with running? Should I change it up every week or so? Or should I just set my goal to increasing my running distance? At the moment, I go about 4 laps around a park, should I just keep running the same pace and just keep increasing it as I get better stamina? I don't really want to do HIIT because I wouldn't last that long and I prefer a steady pace but any other advice would be helpful.

(3) Speaking of pace, I feel like I can run a lot farther/longer when I pace myself. I usually jog 4-5 minutes and then walk for 1-2 minutes and then jog again. It's pretty much a routine. Is this a good pace for what I am trying to accomplish? I know this question somewhat stems off from the last question, so sorry about that.

(4) Last question, I'm not really planning on getting buff but I am planning on lifting wights as well. Nothing extensive but just to tone some parts of my body, like arms and chest. Is it still adviseable to add whey or protein shakes in my diet to help speed up the process or am I better off saving my money since I am not planning on going overboard on this part? Would these shakes/powder still help if I just stick to running/jogging?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1. Do not run everyday. 4-5 times a week is plenty, remember to lose weight you need to run more than 30 minutes, as that is when you start burning fat. Run in the mornings to jump start your metabolism. Make sure to have 1 day a week you do nothing but rest.
2. Yes, think about cross training. Introduce swimming or biking into the days you do not run.
3. Not a problem, but with your heart rate slowing you are not really getting much exercise for your heart. Aim for 20 minutes or more of solid running.
4. Hold off on the protein and snack on nuts and eat more fish. Reward yourself in 1 month with the shakes if you continue to do this routine.

Buzzed

Reaction score
huh, so if i lift weights for about 30-40 minutes, then run another 40, I won't be adding any muscles? Just losing weight? Should I seperate them then? But at the same time if I don't lift and run back to back I don't feel like I've burned enough calories.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alternating sprint days at the track with paced, distance runs will get you in the best shape.

Sprints increase HGH, boost metabolism and kick your ass all around.

Running 4 days a week should be plenty. Run Mon, Tues and Thur, Fri, or however you want to break it up.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
How heavy are you? If you're otherwise healthy, the only time running every day will hurt you is if you weigh a decent amount. One of the fittest people I know at ~6'1" and 205 lbs who was an avid runner fractured his femur running a marathon a few months back, he's been on cruches since. The doctor told him he simply weighs too much to be doing that kind of running, and due to his weight he had microfractures all through his femur.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you run that much you should try to run on soft trails or tracks. At the very least run on pavement instead of cement. Watch out when running on the road because the roads are not perfectly flat, they actually have a slight slope as you go towards the curb for drainage. I try to run in the middle of not busy roads because that slight slope will start to give you hip problems as well over longer distances.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
How heavy are you? If you're otherwise healthy, the only time running every day will hurt you is if you weigh a decent amount. One of the fittest people I know at ~6'1" and 205 lbs who was an avid runner fractured his femur running a marathon a few months back, he's been on cruches since. The doctor told him he simply weighs too much to be doing that kind of running, and due to his weight he had microfractures all through his femur.

I am medium built, about 5'10"-5'11" and 165 lbs. and hoping to reach maybe 155-160 lbs. in a couple of months or by the end of summer. The more I lose the better though but I don't want to set my goals too high.

I do however, run on cement, which I heard is bad on the knees when I get older.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do however, run on cement, which I heard is bad on the knees when I get older.

It's not like you train like X-countriers or are going to run a marathon soon, so please forget about this negative longterm effect BS. Just run everyday as you plan to, and do it like a man.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your call, but I would strongly recommend a more detailed and comprehensive read. I know and run with the authors. While I disagree with some of their advice for advanced runners, their programs for beginners and intermediates is terrific.

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-Handbo.../dp/0140469303

Also, some folk like Jeff Galloway's approach. See

http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book...2510510&sr=1-1

Galloway builds in too much walking for my taste, but YMMV.

In any event, as corny as it sounds, the only way to learn to run is to run - so back away from the keyboard and go have fun.

Sage advise. I have one of Glover's books, and one from Daniels as well, and both address many running issues.

Probably the best advice I've heard is this: don't over-think it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is full of so much misinformation I don't know where to start.

knugget

Reaction score

If you're running in a park, try to run along the cement path, but on the grass. The grass absorbs some shock so it won't put as much strain on your body. Running on grass also forces you to pick up your feet, which helps your form.

tedadoret

Reaction score
To the OP:

there are alot of opinions in this thread so far, but id say the best so far is from user 'wacked.' unless you run more than 70ish mpw or are in training for a marathon, alot of the cautionary advice against normal daily running is utterly unmerited.

HCS

Reaction score
I am an older runner. I have four marathons under the belt and run in at least three halfs per year. So, my two cents:

1. Running every day is great for your heart, lungs, and over all conditioning. It is NOT bad for the knees so long as you are careful in increasing mileage, wear the right shoes, and focus on correct form.

2. A good running program can include a mix of different runs. The vast majority ought be simple runs at a conversational pace. Once every week you can work on slowly extending your distance. The longer runs should be at a slightly slower pace. Once per week you can work in intervals or hills. There are many great resources on the web and in Runner's World for beginning runners to build a training plan. To avoid injury, do not try to do too much to fast. Build a nice foundation of about 20 miles per week first.

3. Run/walk is fine at the beginning. Eventually, you should get to just running. Try to do the majority of your runs at a pace where you can engage in full sentences - this is known as a conversational pace. If you are limited to short phrases or just one word bursts when you run, your pace is way too quick for a simple run (but may be fine for interval training).

4. Running and weight lifting can be great compliments. However, there really is no such thing as "toning'. When one lifts, if one has a calorie surplus, one adds bulk (much of which is muscle). Running can burn through a calorie surplus and cause weight loss. It is very difficult to add muscle while doing any appreciable amount of running. That said, you will strip fat from the muscle you do have and you ought be healthier and look better. Also, runners burn carbs. If you drop too many carbs from the diet, you will feel sluggish and your performance will drop.
Finally, lift first, run after. A good run is tiring; you want to lift with a full tank of energy.

is it also true if you do too MUCH cardio, your metabolism will also suffer?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HCS
is it also true if you do too MUCH cardio, your metabolism will also suffer?

I heard it was the other way around. The more cardio you do, the better your metabolism becomes.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard it was the other way around. The more cardio you do, the better your metabolism becomes.

Too an extent, but if for example, you are a training marathoner and you train extensively then the amount of cardio you do will have less effect on your metabolism, so to speak.

It is sort of an evolutionary concept of conservation when the body becomes accustomed to a certain activity. Someone could probably give you a more scientific answer..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads