• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny ties: how skinny is too skinny?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Rubinacci ties are not 3.5" as a rule. They vary between 8 ond 9 centimeters depending on the type of silk, the pattern and the construction.

Personally, I like that range. Perhaps I like 9 cm more than 8 cm right now, but I go back and forth.

Since you are a bespoke client, I defer to your superior experience, but on the Rubinacci webstore, the woven ties are 9cm/3.5 in, the knits 7cm/2.75 in.

billiebob

Reaction score
My Hickey Freeman ties are a whopping 4 inches. I like them a lot but they cover most of my shirt!

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a skinny tie is going to be unbalanced with your lapels. Maybe you should walk into a RTW store and try some skinny ties before you make your final decision.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
3.25 is as skinny as I'd go.

Me too. 3 1/4"- 3 1/2" is the sweet spot.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's driven by the lapel width more than anything else. With 3.75"lapels I wouldn't go narrower than 3.25". Also, max width at the tip is somewhat less important than width below the knot- I like a moderate taper rather than straight sided.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I am a smaller guy -- 38R -- and I feel perfectly comfortable wearing a 3-inch tie. Of course, I prefer slimmer lapels, so it matches up. Many of my knits are 2.5 inches.

Even on my more conservative stuff, I tend to prefer no more than 3.5 inches. For comparison, this tie is 3.5 inches:

bwindow.jpg

Here's a 2.5-inch knit:

waytwed.jpg

Ties that are 3.75 or larger look huge on me.

38R? No way. I would have guessed you to be something like 42R, definitely not that small. You do not give off that impression, weird. Maybe that's why I always found your suits very fitted, yet still safe and classic.

For me, I think 3.25 inches is my max. When I put it on, it looks proportional, same as a bigger sized guy wearing a 3.5 inch tie. However with a tie like 3.5 inches it would look just slightly off, like I walked into JCPenny for my shopping or something.

I have a very skinny tie that is I think, 1.5 inches and it works fine with my 2.7(?) inch lapel on my TaT suit. However it's very aggressive and it works well with the cut of my suit. 2.5 inches I would classify as narrow, and as long as your lapels are something like 3 inches and sleek I think it would be fine.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My most narrow ties are 2.25 inches by Black Fleece. I wear them with my narrow lapel jackets only.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I'm a skinny dude. 3.5" is usually as thin as I will go. But it depends on the width of the knot area. I have a 3" tie that is 0.75" in the middle. Looks ridiculous with most most of my shirts and suits. Then I have a 3" tie, 1.25" in the middle, and still looks balanced.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
It's driven by the lapel width more than anything else.
+1 You could also consider Alan Flusser's advice on neckwear, "Widths between 3 1/4 inches and 4 1/4 inches will generally ensure longevity." Dressing the Man (2002), Alan Flusser, pg. 165. But wait! Back in the 1980's
devil.gif
he was writing, "The proper width of a tie, and one that will never be out of style, is 3 1/4 inches (2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inches are also acceptable." Clothes and the Man (1985), Alan Flusser, pg. 85

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've settled on 3.5 inches. I have a few 3.25 inch ties, but any smaller and I don't care for them. I ordered a HF navy grenandine that was 3 inches wide. It just seemed too thin for me and I sent it back. I ordered a navy and a burgundy grenandine from Sam Hober and I specified 3.5 inches. Placed my order on April 8,so I'm getting pretty close to delivery!

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What width do you think I should go with? How do you go about choosing the width for your own ties?

How wide is your tie in this photo? 3.5 inches? It seems slightly wide to me. Not at the widest part, which I can't see in this photo, but at the lowest visible part just above the jacket button.

jacketfront.jpg

I'm of average height and slimmish and order my ties in 3.25 inch width. When I began ordering ties from Sam Hober, I chose a ready-made tie whose fit I liked and went with it. A side benefit of slightly slimmer ties for me, which I didn't realise at the time of ordering, is that they allow me to make knots without dimples. Which I strongly prefer.

DSCN0819.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the actual measured width is overrated. If a tie is coming across as loud, or somehow extra central, then I think it plays wider than it is. For example, block stripe ties, or a solid black tie with a white shirt and a tan suit. What's important is the perception. The perception is the reality. If a tie is 3" wide but plays extra loud or heavy in the outfit, it's going to look and feel wider than a quiet tie that's 3.25" or 3.5" wide. That's been my experience at least.

So the lapel width : tie width thing is just a guideline, not some kind of ironclad law, that I think anyone could flout thoughtfully and well -- especially if the ties and lapels in question are not radically skinny or wide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics