• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are the lapels on this jacket too wide?

Corneliani

Reaction score
Evening all,

I came across this jacket that I quite liked the look of, however, I'm not quite sure if the lapels are a tad too wide? The lapels of the MTM jackets that I usually wear are about 1/2 to 1/4 inch slimmer, which may be why I'm thinking that they might be slightly too wide on this jacket? (Ignore the sleeve length as this will be shortened should I decide to pull the trigger).

Grateful for thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too wide for my personal taste but the rest of SF probably considers them too skinny the way that wide and extra-wide lapel jackets are consistently fawned over on here. 😁

The tailoring convention is for lapels to be approx a third to half the width of the chest and these look around the half way mark so you’re not in extreme territory.

Bottom line is the only one who has to be happy is you. If you can live with it they’re fine but as the old saying goes “if you have to ask …”

I’d have a greater concern for those unpleasant divots at the sleeve heads! I’m not entirely sure what’s causing this but it appears that the shoulder padding has far outpaced the width of your actual shoulders. This is not easy to fix so you might want to try some other sizes or fits to see if you can get a version that has a smoother transition from shoulder to sleeve.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
According to the guy that runs The Armoury the lapels should be half way to shoulder. These seem fine. I think the issue I have is the fabric seems subpar and there is no body to the lapel either.

Corneliani

Reaction score
Too wide for my personal taste but the rest of SF probably considers them too skinny the way that wide and extra-wide lapel jackets are consistently fawned over on here. 😁

The tailoring convention is for lapels to be approx a third to half the width of the chest and these look around the half way mark so you’re not in extreme territory.

Bottom line is the only one who has to be happy is you. If you can live with it they’re fine but as the old saying goes “if you have to ask …”

I’d have a greater concern for those unpleasant divots at the sleeve heads! I’m not entirely sure what’s causing this but it appears that the shoulder padding has far outpaced the width of your actual shoulders. This is not easy to fix so you might want to try some other sizes or fits to see if you can get a version that has a smoother transition from shoulder to sleeve.

Thanks, yes I wasn't sure if the divot / ripples on the sleeves were a result of normal creases or a more substantial issue with the jacket itself?

According to the guy that runs The Armoury the lapels should be half way to shoulder. These seem fine. I think the issue I have is the fabric seems subpar and there is no body to the lapel either.

What makes you say the fabric seems subpar? The fabric itself is from Zegna and didn't seem concerning when I tried it on but I may be missing something obvious!

They look a little wide to me. Are those 4" lapels ? and what size jacket ?

Jacket size is a UK 36, not sure about the lapel width.

Isnt the jacket a bit big?

Do you think so? After the pictures were taken they did take in the waist temporarily with pins to give it a much more fitted look and it looked OK size wise. And as mentioned the sleeves would be shortened to the correct length too.

jeremygo

Reaction score
As others have noted, the lapel should fall around halfway between the collar and shoulder, give or take a bit based on preference. These are a bit wide, but not crazily so. I would just trust your own eye and when in doubt aim for moderation.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I came across this jacket that I quite liked the look of, however, I'm not quite sure if the lapels are a tad too wide? The lapels of the MTM jackets that I usually wear are about 1/2 to 1/4 inch slimmer, which may be why I'm thinking that they might be slightly too wide on this jacket? (Ignore the sleeve length as this will be shortened should I decide to pull the trigger).

Grateful for thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

View attachment 2137883
View attachment 2137885
Lapel width is fine but the gorge is far too high. Would pass. As others have mentioned there are also the shoulder divots to address if you decide to proceed anyways (although extended shoulders aren’t what causes divots as others have posited)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't see divots on the sleeve cap. The sleeve head is finished spalla camicia and may not have a sleeve head sewn in around the crown of the sleeve. This makes the top of the sleeve area look hollow from a lack of internal support.
Have never supported the "lapel width falling half way across the chest" or "leg opening to be 2/3rds the length of your shoe" theories. How can this formula work with every chest size, shoulder width or shoe size imaginable? Betting if you measure lapel widths and trouser opening, you will rarely find this ratio.
Lapel width is subjective. I prefer a lapel width that promotes a broader chest/shoulder proportion to the lower body.

This collar, lapel and gorge is intentional to create a specific collar style.
The placement of this gorge height is to create a shape to the collar that makes the collar appear to be a straight band across the neck to shoulder. The width of the collar is almost the same at the center back, at the point it crosses the shoulder seam and the width at the notch. If you expand the first picture of the jacket you get an idea of the intended style.
Haven't seen this since the late 70's. knew an Italian tailor in NYC who made jackets like this.
Overall it’s a decent fit. The way you’re standing it looks like you have a full chest and the lapels lay pretty well. Not popping open. The sleeves are pitched a bit forward and that causes the odd wrinkle along the sleeves. That may be due to your stance.

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Based on pictures and on your body type, slimmer fit, those pockets and those lapels makes your jacket look big for you.

wozniak

Reaction score
As others have noted, the lapel should fall around halfway between the collar and shoulder, give or take a bit based on preference. These are a bit wide, but not crazily so. I would just trust your own eye and when in doubt aim for moderation.
This is the answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads