• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Do For a Living?

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineer for a large airplane manufacturer in the northwest....bet you can't tell which.
blush.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Personal Trainer

drake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
you'll love this story.

I once hired a guy who had studied jazz music, and been a pro musician for a few years, before getting into sales. the position was sales manager for western europe.

anyway, we are on a trip in london, we get to heathrow to fly out, and while we are waiting for the flight, he opens his case and takes out a trumpet, leaves the case open and starts to play. I ask him what he is doing, and he says "I need to practise every day to keep up my skills". so I ask "and why did you leave your case open like that?" - he says "well, if people like my playing they can give me a tip"

so I say to him - ok, we are on a business trip, and we just left a sales meeting, do you not think that it is possible that one day you are going to run into somebody you know while you are busking at the airport? also, what have you been doing for practice all week? so it turns out he has been going out front of our hotels every night to practice, with a hat for tips.

anyway, I fired him. mostly because he just didn't understand what was wrong with that.

Wow, you're a gigantic douche in real life too?

flyindarkness

Reaction score
^^^ love that story btw.

anyways, I'm a graduate student that's probably never going to graduate and should be studying for my exams. yeah, I'm ******* poor.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
Wow, you're a gigantic douche in real life too?

yup.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm a partner and creative director at a small (18 people) branding and marketing agency.
founded it 3 yrs ago with my art director after slaving it at big agencies for 10 years.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proposal writer in the Security Guard industry, and aspiring author.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
I've been getting tired of mundane legal work so I'm taking a stab at real estate. Pretty much buying small condos that need a tad bit of work and redoing them, renting them out around college areas, and hoping to flip them one day...

sweisman

Reaction score
I'm a Regional Sales Manager for a telecommunications company.

Reuters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
you'll love this story.

I once hired a guy who had studied jazz music, and been a pro musician for a few years, before getting into sales. the position was sales manager for western europe.

anyway, we are on a trip in london, we get to heathrow to fly out, and while we are waiting for the flight, he opens his case and takes out a trumpet, leaves the case open and starts to play. I ask him what he is doing, and he says "I need to practise every day to keep up my skills". so I ask "and why did you leave your case open like that?" - he says "well, if people like my playing they can give me a tip"

so I say to him - ok, we are on a business trip, and we just left a sales meeting, do you not think that it is possible that one day you are going to run into somebody you know while you are busking at the airport? also, what have you been doing for practice all week? so it turns out he has been going out front of our hotels every night to practice, with a hat for tips.

anyway, I fired him. mostly because he just didn't understand what was wrong with that.

WTF, is this some sort of joke? Probably, he dislikes you, could not find a better excuse to get out of the job.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In semiconductors. Currently at a production site. Previously in R&D, have had the humbling opportunity to work with some very bright and accomplished people. Much, much to learn, have I.

Also advise/consult on IP (patent portfolio) and other technical/business matters if there is significant separation of propriety information with my primary job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads