What Do You Do For a Living?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by ~attrACTION~, Dec 10, 2006.

1. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

I'm an engineer for a large airplane manufacturer in the northwest....bet you can't tell which. [​IMG]

2. Forkit

Forkit Senior member

I'm a priest at my local church.

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I...don't do anything.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Personal Trainer

6. drake

drake Senior member

you'll love this story.

I once hired a guy who had studied jazz music, and been a pro musician for a few years, before getting into sales. the position was sales manager for western europe.

anyway, we are on a trip in london, we get to heathrow to fly out, and while we are waiting for the flight, he opens his case and takes out a trumpet, leaves the case open and starts to play. I ask him what he is doing, and he says "I need to practise every day to keep up my skills". so I ask "and why did you leave your case open like that?" - he says "well, if people like my playing they can give me a tip"

so I say to him - ok, we are on a business trip, and we just left a sales meeting, do you not think that it is possible that one day you are going to run into somebody you know while you are busking at the airport? also, what have you been doing for practice all week? so it turns out he has been going out front of our hotels every night to practice, with a hat for tips.

anyway, I fired him. mostly because he just didn't understand what was wrong with that.

Wow, you're a gigantic douche in real life too?

7. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Senior member

^^^ love that story btw.

anyways, I'm a graduate student that's probably never going to graduate and should be studying for my exams. yeah, I'm fucking poor.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Wow, you're a gigantic douche in real life too?

yup.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i'm a partner and creative director at a small (18 people) branding and marketing agency.
    founded it 3 yrs ago with my art director after slaving it at big agencies for 10 years.

10. horndog

horndog Senior member

Proposal writer in the Security Guard industry, and aspiring author.

11. Saltwater Wrangler

Saltwater Wrangler Senior member

I've been getting tired of mundane legal work so I'm taking a stab at real estate. Pretty much buying small condos that need a tad bit of work and redoing them, renting them out around college areas, and hoping to flip them one day...

12. sweisman

sweisman Senior member

I'm a Regional Sales Manager for a telecommunications company.

13. tjanders

tjanders New Member

I'm an in-house attorney in LA.

14. Reuters

Reuters Senior member

you'll love this story.

I once hired a guy who had studied jazz music, and been a pro musician for a few years, before getting into sales. the position was sales manager for western europe.

anyway, we are on a trip in london, we get to heathrow to fly out, and while we are waiting for the flight, he opens his case and takes out a trumpet, leaves the case open and starts to play. I ask him what he is doing, and he says "I need to practise every day to keep up my skills". so I ask "and why did you leave your case open like that?" - he says "well, if people like my playing they can give me a tip"

so I say to him - ok, we are on a business trip, and we just left a sales meeting, do you not think that it is possible that one day you are going to run into somebody you know while you are busking at the airport? also, what have you been doing for practice all week? so it turns out he has been going out front of our hotels every night to practice, with a hat for tips.

anyway, I fired him. mostly because he just didn't understand what was wrong with that.

WTF, is this some sort of joke? Probably, he dislikes you, could not find a better excuse to get out of the job.

15. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

In semiconductors. Currently at a production site. Previously in R&D, have had the humbling opportunity to work with some very bright and accomplished people. Much, much to learn, have I.

Also advise/consult on IP (patent portfolio) and other technical/business matters if there is significant separation of propriety information with my primary job.