• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you stock in your personal bar?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maclovin
Dear Huntsman,

I think you might have pwned me, but I remain unsure because I can't understand what you wrote.

Mac

Mac:

You were pwned.

Cheers

Bouji

Reaction score
Dear Huntsman,

I think you might have pwned me, but I remain unsure because I can't understand what you wrote.

Mac

1. I suggest you read it.

2. In response to what you wrote to me. I was more than polite to you; you responded in a rude manner, so I suggest now you STFU.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bouji, anymore, you're such a tough guy. And that's cool. That's cool.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
My house is on a very open floorplan for the first floor. The Kitchen, Dinette, Foyer, and Family Room are visible from anywhere in any of them. As the kitchen is the centerpiece of our home, this is reasonable. The Dining Room and the Music Room are in a separate non-contiguous area. The Bar, on the other hand, is in it's own room (kind of a study or gent's room,. if you will). It is under lock and key, and one is only invited in if one will appreciate the contents for what they are. Normal guests need not apply, and if a cocktail is their desire, the components are brought to the kitchen. I do not 'show off' the bar, I do not 'parade' it. It is a collection and a personal pleasure for me, indulged in sparingly, and never to the point of inhumanity. In that sense it is the greatest appreciation of the art of the people, and monks, who created the works within. To call it not fit for display is to mock the efforts of the those people under the maltreatment with which others regard their work -- as a mere means of oblivion and stupidity. To me, it is art, and therefore, a noble goal that is the essence of humanity, and I celebrate it thusly. If you do not have that capacity, and view spirits only as a means to provide the inhibition you soul seeks, mock not those who see it as a more noble endeavor. My challenge to you is to do that, or refute the argument you made. Regards, Huntsman
I'm sorry, but this is the biggest heap of faux-gentleman bullshit I've ever read. Come off it for Pete's sake.

centalones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm sorry, but this is the biggest heap of faux-gentleman bullshit I've ever read. Come off it for Pete's sake.
It is worded that way. However, in Huntsman's defense, he was responding/agreeing to a post talking about how gaudy it is to put all your liquor bottles out on display, which I something I agree with.

Even worse are those who keep empty liquor and beer bottles to show off their drinking history. It's a terrible habit that people around the age of 21 have.

c3cubed

Reaction score
My house is on a very open floorplan for the first floor. The Kitchen, Dinette, Foyer, and Family Room are visible from anywhere in any of them. As the kitchen is the centerpiece of our home, this is reasonable. The Dining Room and the Music Room are in a separate non-contiguous area.

The Bar, on the other hand, is in it's own room (kind of a study or gent's room,. if you will). It is under lock and key, and one is only invited in if one will appreciate the contents for what they are. Normal guests need not apply, and if a cocktail is their desire, the components are brought to the kitchen. I do not 'show off' the bar, I do not 'parade' it. It is a collection and a personal pleasure for me, indulged in sparingly, and never to the point of inhumanity. In that sense it is the greatest appreciation of the art of the people, and monks, who created the works within. To call it not fit for display is to mock the efforts of the those people under the maltreatment with which others regard their work -- as a mere means of oblivion and stupidity. To me, it is art, and therefore, a noble goal that is the essence of humanity, and I celebrate it thusly.

If you do not have that capacity, and view spirits only as a means to provide the inhibition you soul seeks, mock not those who see it as a more noble endeavor. My challenge to you is to do that, or refute the argument you made.

Regards,
Huntsman

Ahh - beautifully said, and poetic. If only such written style was of the 21st century mainstream. It was, once.
Your second calling Huntsman, is to be editor in chief of a magazine devoted solely to all things of classic magnificence.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by centalones
Even worse are those who keep empty liquor and beer bottles to show off their drinking history. It's a terrible habit that people around the age of 21 have.
It's even worse when the bottles are Mr. Boston schnapps, Captain Morgan, Svedka vodka, etc.

Bouji

Reaction score
If you feel the need to hide your alcohol, might I suggest Islam.

Personally, I have a drinks cabinet (closed) with two decanters on top of it (visible), because they look good.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dear Huntsman,

Mac

This might be the first time in internet history the mark being pwned admitted to potentially having been pwned,

That said, I am still unsure if such admission was made..
plain.gif

maclovin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
This might be the first time in internet history the mark being pwned admitted to potentially having been pwned,

That said, I am still unsure if such admission was made..
plain.gif

Nat,

You will have to forgive me, I simply do not speak Ye Olde English, and as such I could not comprehend the Huntsman Opus. What I now understand is that he locks his booze away in a casseforte and only lets fine gentlemen into his lair. While this is standard operating procedure in the world of stolen artwork, I do say that I have not encountered such behaviour in a boozehound. Finally, I believe that he speaks of being a gentleman and not drinking until intoxicated. This I find troubling, for what is more gentlemanly then getting a good heat on and then sipping whisky from between the breasts of an eager filly? Nothing, my good man! Nothing!

I remain faithfully yours.

Mac

Bouji

Reaction score
Bloody hell, I never realised that Maclovin had such a non-liberal attitude to alcohol...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
Bloody hell, I never realised that America had such a non-liberal attitude to alcohol...

Bloody hell, I never realised that one could draw conclusions on everyone in a country of almost 300 million people from what one person says on the internet.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Conne, chill. I've never called you a faux-frat boy. Besides, I post as I am; there is nothing to come off of. And anyway, what about my post so stirred your ire?
Nat, You will have to forgive me, I simply do not speak Ye Olde English, and as such I could not comprehend the Huntsman Opus. What I now understand is that he locks his booze away in a casseforte and only lets fine gentlemen into his lair. While this is standard operating procedure in the world of stolen artwork, I do say that I have not encountered such behaviour in a boozehound. Finally, I believe that he speaks of being a gentleman and not drinking until intoxicated. This I find troubling, for what is more gentlemanly then getting a good heat on and then sipping whisky from between the breasts of an eager filly? Nothing, my good man! Nothing! I remain faithfully yours. Mac
In other words, it's not crass to be drunk, but it is crass to display the tools of said inebriation? Further, according to you, it's acceptable to have your liquor in a cabinet, away from public view, but not behind a bar (liquor's natural habitat) in it's own room, again out of public view? I cannot find the logical consistency here. What size cabinet is the maximum appropriate size before it becomes crass? c3's collection stows fairly neatly into the wall, and he has considerably more scotch than my 40 or so bottles. Is that ok? It might also be of use to you to read what I wrote and to note that I never said I only let 'fine' people into the bar, only people that would appreciate it. I know people who don't drink, I know people who only want a 7&7 and would really be a little bit intimidated by the 140 bottles on the wall. I try and make people comfortable in my home, and my prior post focused upon the 'non-public' aspect of my collection, not upon any status that only you presuppose is required to gain admittance to the 'casseforte.' Also, I challenge you to find the post in which I say that I am a gentleman. I never have. ~ Huntsman

c3cubed

Reaction score
Conne, chill. I've never called you a faux-frat boy. Besides, I post as I am; there is nothing to come off of. And anyway, what about my post so stirred your ire?

Also, I challenge you to find the post in which I say that I am a gentleman. I never have.

~ Huntsman

Ahh but no one could deny you posess an elegant way with words, and that should count positive for something in itself.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nat,

You will have to forgive me, I simply do not speak Ye Olde English, and as such I could not comprehend the Huntsman Opus. What I now understand is that he locks his booze away in a casseforte and only lets fine gentlemen into his lair. While this is standard operating procedure in the world of stolen artwork, I do say that I have not encountered such behaviour in a boozehound. Finally, I believe that he speaks of being a gentleman and not drinking until intoxicated. This I find troubling, for what is more gentlemanly then getting a good heat on and then sipping whisky from between the breasts of an eager filly? Nothing, my good man! Nothing!

I remain faithfully yours.

Mac

This is good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads