What do you stock in your personal bar?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, May 1, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Dear Huntsman,

I think you might have pwned me, but I remain unsure because I can't understand what you wrote.

Mac

Mac:

You were pwned.

Cheers

2. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Dear Huntsman,

I think you might have pwned me, but I remain unsure because I can't understand what you wrote.

Mac

1. I suggest you read it.

2. In response to what you wrote to me. I was more than polite to you; you responded in a rude manner, so I suggest now you STFU.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Bouji, anymore, you're such a tough guy. And that's cool. That's cool.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

My house is on a very open floorplan for the first floor. The Kitchen, Dinette, Foyer, and Family Room are visible from anywhere in any of them. As the kitchen is the centerpiece of our home, this is reasonable. The Dining Room and the Music Room are in a separate non-contiguous area. The Bar, on the other hand, is in it's own room (kind of a study or gent's room,. if you will). It is under lock and key, and one is only invited in if one will appreciate the contents for what they are. Normal guests need not apply, and if a cocktail is their desire, the components are brought to the kitchen. I do not 'show off' the bar, I do not 'parade' it. It is a collection and a personal pleasure for me, indulged in sparingly, and never to the point of inhumanity. In that sense it is the greatest appreciation of the art of the people, and monks, who created the works within. To call it not fit for display is to mock the efforts of the those people under the maltreatment with which others regard their work -- as a mere means of oblivion and stupidity. To me, it is art, and therefore, a noble goal that is the essence of humanity, and I celebrate it thusly. If you do not have that capacity, and view spirits only as a means to provide the inhibition you soul seeks, mock not those who see it as a more noble endeavor. My challenge to you is to do that, or refute the argument you made. Regards, Huntsman
    I'm sorry, but this is the biggest heap of faux-gentleman bullshit I've ever read. Come off it for Pete's sake.

5. centalones

centalones Senior member

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest heap of faux-gentleman bullshit I've ever read. Come off it for Pete's sake.
    It is worded that way. However, in Huntsman's defense, he was responding/agreeing to a post talking about how gaudy it is to put all your liquor bottles out on display, which I something I agree with.

Even worse are those who keep empty liquor and beer bottles to show off their drinking history. It's a terrible habit that people around the age of 21 have.

6. c3cubed

c3cubed Senior member

My house is on a very open floorplan for the first floor. The Kitchen, Dinette, Foyer, and Family Room are visible from anywhere in any of them. As the kitchen is the centerpiece of our home, this is reasonable. The Dining Room and the Music Room are in a separate non-contiguous area.

The Bar, on the other hand, is in it's own room (kind of a study or gent's room,. if you will). It is under lock and key, and one is only invited in if one will appreciate the contents for what they are. Normal guests need not apply, and if a cocktail is their desire, the components are brought to the kitchen. I do not 'show off' the bar, I do not 'parade' it. It is a collection and a personal pleasure for me, indulged in sparingly, and never to the point of inhumanity. In that sense it is the greatest appreciation of the art of the people, and monks, who created the works within. To call it not fit for display is to mock the efforts of the those people under the maltreatment with which others regard their work -- as a mere means of oblivion and stupidity. To me, it is art, and therefore, a noble goal that is the essence of humanity, and I celebrate it thusly.

If you do not have that capacity, and view spirits only as a means to provide the inhibition you soul seeks, mock not those who see it as a more noble endeavor. My challenge to you is to do that, or refute the argument you made.

Regards,
    Huntsman

Ahh - beautifully said, and poetic. If only such written style was of the 21st century mainstream. It was, once.
    Your second calling Huntsman, is to be editor in chief of a magazine devoted solely to all things of classic magnificence.

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Even worse are those who keep empty liquor and beer bottles to show off their drinking history. It's a terrible habit that people around the age of 21 have.
    It's even worse when the bottles are Mr. Boston schnapps, Captain Morgan, Svedka vodka, etc.

8. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

If you feel the need to hide your alcohol, might I suggest Islam.

Personally, I have a drinks cabinet (closed) with two decanters on top of it (visible), because they look good.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Dear Huntsman,

Mac

This might be the first time in internet history the mark being pwned admitted to potentially having been pwned,

That said, I am still unsure if such admission was made..[​IMG]

10. maclovin

maclovin Senior member

This might be the first time in internet history the mark being pwned admitted to potentially having been pwned,

That said, I am still unsure if such admission was made..[​IMG]

Nat,

You will have to forgive me, I simply do not speak Ye Olde English, and as such I could not comprehend the Huntsman Opus. What I now understand is that he locks his booze away in a casseforte and only lets fine gentlemen into his lair. While this is standard operating procedure in the world of stolen artwork, I do say that I have not encountered such behaviour in a boozehound. Finally, I believe that he speaks of being a gentleman and not drinking until intoxicated. This I find troubling, for what is more gentlemanly then getting a good heat on and then sipping whisky from between the breasts of an eager filly? Nothing, my good man! Nothing!

I remain faithfully yours.

Mac

11. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Bloody hell, I never realised that Maclovin had such a non-liberal attitude to alcohol...

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Bloody hell, I never realised that America had such a non-liberal attitude to alcohol...

Bloody hell, I never realised that one could draw conclusions on everyone in a country of almost 300 million people from what one person says on the internet.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Conne, chill. I've never called you a faux-frat boy. Besides, I post as I am; there is nothing to come off of. And anyway, what about my post so stirred your ire?
    Nat, You will have to forgive me, I simply do not speak Ye Olde English, and as such I could not comprehend the Huntsman Opus. What I now understand is that he locks his booze away in a casseforte and only lets fine gentlemen into his lair. While this is standard operating procedure in the world of stolen artwork, I do say that I have not encountered such behaviour in a boozehound. Finally, I believe that he speaks of being a gentleman and not drinking until intoxicated. This I find troubling, for what is more gentlemanly then getting a good heat on and then sipping whisky from between the breasts of an eager filly? Nothing, my good man! Nothing! I remain faithfully yours. Mac
    In other words, it's not crass to be drunk, but it is crass to display the tools of said inebriation? Further, according to you, it's acceptable to have your liquor in a cabinet, away from public view, but not behind a bar (liquor's natural habitat) in it's own room, again out of public view? I cannot find the logical consistency here. What size cabinet is the maximum appropriate size before it becomes crass? c3's collection stows fairly neatly into the wall, and he has considerably more scotch than my 40 or so bottles. Is that ok? It might also be of use to you to read what I wrote and to note that I never said I only let 'fine' people into the bar, only people that would appreciate it. I know people who don't drink, I know people who only want a 7&7 and would really be a little bit intimidated by the 140 bottles on the wall. I try and make people comfortable in my home, and my prior post focused upon the 'non-public' aspect of my collection, not upon any status that only you presuppose is required to gain admittance to the 'casseforte.' Also, I challenge you to find the post in which I say that I am a gentleman. I never have. ~ Huntsman

14. c3cubed

c3cubed Senior member

Conne, chill. I've never called you a faux-frat boy. Besides, I post as I am; there is nothing to come off of. And anyway, what about my post so stirred your ire?

Also, I challenge you to find the post in which I say that I am a gentleman. I never have.

~ Huntsman

Ahh but no one could deny you posess an elegant way with words, and that should count positive for something in itself.

15. Brad

Brad Senior member

Nat,

You will have to forgive me, I simply do not speak Ye Olde English, and as such I could not comprehend the Huntsman Opus. What I now understand is that he locks his booze away in a casseforte and only lets fine gentlemen into his lair. While this is standard operating procedure in the world of stolen artwork, I do say that I have not encountered such behaviour in a boozehound. Finally, I believe that he speaks of being a gentleman and not drinking until intoxicated. This I find troubling, for what is more gentlemanly then getting a good heat on and then sipping whisky from between the breasts of an eager filly? Nothing, my good man! Nothing!

I remain faithfully yours.

Mac

This is good.