• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tupac Shakur

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know tupac is a cliche answer when it comes to rap music, but:

1- I usually hate rap. Im a metal fan.
2- I like most of Tupac's songs.

And i didnt at first, so its not like i was brainwashed by MTV into it.

Ive tried to get into others, fram Jay Z, Nas, Mos Def, etc....... But i just find a sort of intensity and rawness in Tupacs songs, whatever theyre about, that i dont find in others.

Sure they may have better lyrics, but the delivery never captures me. Something about the way Tupac raps makes me connect. And no i dont identify with neither his views nor experiences.

Is this only me? Is tupac different? Any recommendations?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tupac is certainly different. It gets better when you listen to tupac as you commute on a public bus, full of people that society spits on.

Eminem is also a mainstream rapper that touches me with some of his lyrics. My favorite song from him is "Rock Bottom"

That's Rock Bottom
When this life makes you mad enough to kill
That's Rock Bottom
When you want something bad enough to steal
That's Rock Bottom
When you feel you have had it up to here
Cause you mad enough to scream but you sad enough to tear

Most of us have hit rock bottom and this guy articulates the feeling and drama like no other poets.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eminem was close to genius but never expressed his ideas to his full potential in the form of a cohesive album, even though they're sprinkled with moments of brilliance. Has pretty much turned into a mess, a parody of himself in his more recent work.

Pac, however was productive enough to have released more than a handful of memorable material. His songs really speak to me, even though I may not relate to his exact lifestyle, I admire his sincerity and intention that comes through from his voice and lyrics. Probably my favorite rapper ever along with Jay-Z.

this thread has inspired me to go listen to "**** All Y'all"...very slept on classic. "I thought I had friends, but I ain't got no friends...**** all y'all"

thetieguy

Reaction score
Tupac was at his height when I was in highschool and passed away during those days as well. I thought his music was amazing. He could be hard in some songs and speak about social issues like he did in Brendas got a baby. His music is timeless. I always used to listen to "Me against the world" before every race I ran. It always got me pumped up.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MATW is probably his best officially released album...either that or 7 Day Theory. AEOM is good but a bit uneven, however some of his best work is on there.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listened to him alot when i was younger (6 -7 years ago), probably the first "real" rapper i got into. Haven't in a long time. Favourite songs were "I get around", "Never had a friend like me", "I got my mind made up" and "Do for Love".

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
...and to think he was once just a roadie for Digital Underground.
Dang man....I loved his lines on Digital Undergrounds "Same Song" (that's originally what put me on to him).

to the OP,
you should also check out some of his poetry as well, outside of the misinterpreted "thuggish" persona....the man was quite emotional and deep.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I put Tupac on the same level as Bob Marley, albeit with slightly different messages, in that I'll listen to his music until I'm old and gray.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only other material that can touch Tupac at his best is off of Doggystyle and The Chronic.

Tupac was a pretty decent actor, too.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also a big fan of metal (old school Slayer and Metallica) and am a big Tupac fan.

-Jeff

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
The only other material that can touch Tupac at his best is off of Doggystyle and The Chronic.

Tupac was a pretty decent actor, too.

MC#4,

You surprise me, I didn't know you were a fan of the semi old-school hip-hop?

DarknWorm,

I never thought about it before, but that's not a bad comparison.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doggystyle is my favorite hip hop album, possibly favorite album ever, period. I think sonically it surpasses The Chronic, and then you had Snoop at his peak (I don't think he ever spit this well ever again...'Think About It' off Blue Carpet Treatment came close though) for a whole album rather than a bunch of guests fading in and out.

And even though it's on the out of print version, "Gz Up Hoez Down" has got to be one of the smoothest songs ever...best use of that Isaac Hayes sample in hip hop.

hi-val

Reaction score
1. Go here: http://www.myspace.com/ratatatmusic 2. Listen to their remix of Biggie Smalls' "Party and Bullshit" 3. Enjoy your introduction to the other half of Tupac-era rap. I think part of what made Tupac a success was that he understood flow and beats at a level that few other people did at the time. He also had Dre making the beats; going back and listening to other rap around at the time, most of it is dated by really bad beats. Nas is chronically plagued by this, which is a bummer, because if you like Tupac, he's worth listening to. But if you're looking for intensity, Biggie Smalls and some of Old Dirty Bastard's tracks are worth checking out. I happen to like really intense rap over laid-back stuff (sorry snoop).

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southern-Nupe;1033024 said:
Dang man....I loved his lines on Digital Undergrounds "Same ole Song" (that's originally what put me on to him).

"All around the world (for the fonk/same song)!
(Garry Shider/Tupac)
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads