• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tupac Shakur

Goblin

Reaction score
The only thing that keeps Ready to Die from being perfect, IMO, is ******* Puffy going "uh huh" and "tha's right" every other second.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
The only thing that keeps Ready to Die from being perfect, IMO, is ******* Puffy going "uh huh" and "tha's right" every other second.

LOL.. Thats actually the only thing I enjoy Diddy doing.

TeeMillz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Sure, I'll give you that. What I guess I was thinking of is that Biggie's beats are just stone awful most of the time.
I don't really know what to say to that, I guess your just not in to that type of sound. I think Ready to Dies production is superb and the beats are as gritty and hard hitting as his lyrics. But whatever haha, to each is own.

joneblaze

Reaction score
Interesting to come across this old school revival on a fashion forum, but some interesting points made. I was a massive fan of Pac and Big - their music initially got me into hiphop as a culture. IMO Pac was the king all round, but there is an untouchable ease in Biggie's flow and simplicity in his delivery that is straight up legendary, eg. "Let Me Get Down".

Originally Posted by Goblin
+1

I like Tupac -- there's never been a harder diss track than "Hit 'Em Up", at least his parts -- but I never considered him on the same level as Biggie, Jigga, or Nas in terms of talent.

Have you heard "Ether" by Nas? Pure brilliance.

Nas and Pac had more intellect and conscious material than Big or Jay. Jay Z is decent value but to put him up against the likes of the first two is blasphemy. I don't see why so many ppl rate him so highly.

Meanwhile, any Blackstar/Talib/Mos, J5, Common, Roots, etc fans about? Now that's some REAL hiphop.....
teacha.gif

hi-val

Reaction score
I got burnt out on Blackstar, I listened to it so much. Saw them last year, it was ok.

Live hiphop is kinda awful.

Common is okay, the Roots are completely brilliant.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
I got burnt out on Blackstar, I listened to it so much. Saw them last year, it was ok.

Live hiphop is kinda awful.

Common is okay, the Roots are completely brilliant.

Yea, i saw talib kweli 5 years ago and he played a good amount of blackstar stuff and some off of reflection eternal. Good enough for me.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
What's scary is They keep releasing new Tupac albums/songs that seem to talk about current events.

haha +1

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by learnofvie
Tupac Shakur is my favorite rapper.
His lyrics are actually meaningful, unlike most rappers today that you find played out on the radio.
You wonder how these guys actually get record deals (soulja boy, lil wayne) their lyrics remain a joke, even eminem's latest music is terrible (crack a bottle).
However Tupac's words had depth, and a message. He was a erudite well learned person who spoke his mind. He spoke on many important social issues, and was a great writer. Although I do not agree or relate perfectly to everything he has said, he is my favorite musical artist.
He is a man who read philosophy, and who owned a sea of books at the time of his death. I sometimes wonder how many rappers read books today, probably close to none. I believe Soulja Boy's "Ya trick Ya" song is proof that he has never opened a book.
And one thing important about Tupac is that he really put his heart into his music, he put his social and philosophical views into his music. He cared for the common man, and could relate easily to the common man. He was flawed but quick to point out his own flaws, and he sought to influence society in a positive manner, he was a caring compassionate person.
And sometimes it pains me to think of how misled rap music is, how we have come to this a decade after his death. It seems that today's music is not at all about lyrics, but more on the music producer, to make it a good track.

Awww, your 9th grade English teacher let you write an essay on hip hop....

oceans11

Reaction score
I think it's very cool that 2pac transcended race/culture. I hear all the time other races saying they don't like rap but they love'em some 2pac.

I agree with the Bob Marley comparison as well because that man was loved so much that he could walk through just about any hood regardless of race & find a hot meal & warm bed to turn too if needed.

To me that's power.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads