• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^
laugh.gif

I arrived home late last night to see a package on the doorstep - my bottle of Caron Troisieme Homme turned up from Amazon, and this morning I had a decision to make: Third man or Azuree? Azuree or Third Man? Smell somewhat masculine or only slightly mascuine? Two new bottles received on the same day, neither sprayed: The binge is on!

I awoke early and pondered the two bottles. I went through my morning routine, ran through the early morning streets while the neighbors were setting up for the yearly garage sale this weekend. The gardens were in early bloom, and in particular the honeysuckle was everywhere I turned. That made my decision easier: I went with the sweeter Third Man.

Besides I still had to work today and I was sure someone at the office would point out that I was wearing a women's scent, and an old one at that.
frown.gif

tangerine

Reaction score
Speaking of old scents and fougeres, today I am wearing Jicky EdP, first time, from a sample.

It is definitely more civet-licious than the EdT I have worn before.

My first impressions were that it seemed somehow dated or too conventional, but now that I am well into the heart of it, I can only nod my head in respect.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is Gelsomino, Gianni Campagna
A kind of modern wild Jasmine scent, it has all the exotic nuiances, but also has this clean sea air quality, which is strange as they are opposite!

This is some good good scent.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Today is Gelsomino, Gianni Campagna
A kind of modern wild Jasmine scent, it has all the exotic nuiances, but also has this clean sea air quality, which is strange as they are opposite!

This is some good good scent.

Funny you mention this - I was reading the guide last night and Turin was talking about the masterpieces and how they blend two opposing elements into one whole that's both beautiful and strangely compelling. Sounds like you've got one of them. Is it something you can wear everyday?

Today I'm wearing a wimmen's scent - Estee Lauder Azuree. And for the first hour I swear it's Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men. It's since tamed down a bit - it opened with some bright seaside sunshine - kind of a bright woody-citrus-herbal, and now a few hours later it's settled down into a warm dry citrus-leatherish scent. Not so much GBH anymore, but I think the only thing missing is a dollop of vetiver.

I am really liking this one now. And, AND, it's powerful and inexpensive and locally available, which means no necessity to buy blind.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Funny you mention this - I was reading the guide last night and Turin was talking about the masterpieces and how they blend two opposing elements into one whole that's both beautiful and strangely compelling. Sounds like you've got one of them. Is it something you can wear everyday?

Today I'm wearing a wimmen's scent - Estee Lauder Azuree. And for the first hour I swear it's Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men. It's since tamed down a bit - it opened with some bright seaside sunshine - kind of a bright woody-citrus-herbal, and now a few hours later it's settled down into a warm dry citrus-leatherish scent. Not so much GBH anymore, but I think the only thing missing is a dollop of vetiver.

I am really liking this one now. And, AND, it's powerful and inexpensive and locally available, which means no necessity to buy blind.

It is something you can wear daily. Apparently it is very difficult if not possible to get.
It has good staying power too, but being such an unusual scent I had to get used to it the first few times I have worn it. It acts like a scent aura, in that people will notice it, but it doesnt smell like a cologne, it smells like two very natural scents that do not naturally occur in Chicago.
Love this one.

wetshaver

Reaction score
Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. Quite exotic scent palette indeed.

SOTD: Virgilio Valobra Menthol Crema di Sapone Purissima (soft shaving soap) from Genova, Italy.

Very traditional product since 1903. Exceptionally smooth and refreshing shaving.

Best,
wetshaver

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee lin
can some of you suggest a woody-spicy frag?

sotd: signoricci

Signoricci: nice. today, Monsieur de Givenchy, similar to Signoricci, but not quite as radiant.

As for woody-spicy fragrances, my preferences are Hermes Bel Ami, Caron Yatagan, and Ormonde Man. Bel Ami is the most comfortable, Yatagan is the most flamboyant and confrontational, and Ormonde Man is the darkest and most mysterious.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Estee Lauder Azuree. Bright and confdent and cheerful, a scent that goes with sunglasses and a tan. A substantial lemony-woody-herbal opening, moving between the notes. A little vetiver in the dry down and I would be happy. Oh hell, I'm happy with this as it is.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3 Prague Winters
RL Safari for me today

God I loved that one and swear I used to have a bottle years ago. Is it still available? I'd thought it was discontinued.

Speaking of discontinued, since we're in a cold snap, I'm sporting another discontinued winter scent - Cuiron. And the more I'm wearing different scents - particularly leather scents - the more I notice the great big leather note in this one.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Penhaligon's English Fern. Not surprisingly, my wife liked it the minute she noticed it as this is her type of scent.

Pending further review, this will be the daily wear for the rest of spring and summer weekdays. Weekends might see something different. Post-sport evenings will be Douro. Dress evenings will likely be TDC Rose Poivree.

I only plan to return here for the conversation and the occasional variation of note.

Today is a rainy day and I thought the dry smoky notes in Labo's Vetiver 46 would be just the right counterwright.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Today is a rainy day and I thought the dry smoky notes in Labo's Vetiver 46 would be just the right counterwright.

Wow, not even a week and you're off the English Fern. That's actually pretty long by my standards though.
laugh.gif

Today I'm back in Caron Third Man. It's not my normal fare but it is appealing on some level and Mrs. T likes it as well.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feeling summery today so it's Creed Selection Verte. I am not normally a big citrus fan but growing to like this fragnance. Good lasting power on me which is surprising for a citrus fragnance. The Creed housenote makes its appearance after a couple of hours and is probably responsible for the lasting power of Selection Verte when compared to other Citrus scents.

tangerine

Reaction score
Shalimar EdT.

Vanilla is the velvet glove that hides the cold, steely knuckles of bergamot and civet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads