• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Lobb Paris Bespoke Is The $#!+

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Maybe its just the philistine in me (Sometimes I worry that AAAC's Cruiser and I are brothers at heart!), but I too was wondering how many people would be able to discern, at normal viewing distance, any appreciable difference between Manton's JLP black punch-cap bals and my A-E Byrons.

The heel is the giveaway. At even ten feet, one can see how the heel of an Allen Edmonds Byron hangs way out the back. I am not an expert, but I believe the design is called 360 degree welting. English oxfords usually do not have this feature.

BTW, yesterday I wore a pair of Black AE Byrons, and was very jealous of the Lobbs.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Maybe its just the philistine in me (Sometimes I worry that AAAC's Cruiser and I are brothers at heart!), but I too was wondering how many people would be able to discern, at normal viewing distance, any appreciable difference between Manton's JLP black punch-cap bals and my A-E Byrons.
Does the number of people able to discern at normal viewing distance the difference between the two shoes have any bearing on their qualitative differences?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Does the number of people able to discern at normal viewing distance the difference between the two shoes have any bearing on their qualitative differences?

Exactly my point.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
JL St James was demoted to 2 Royal Warrants recently. But there're still 3 warrants displayed in the store front last time I passed by.

John Lobb (St. James's) holds two Royal Warrants -- to His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh and His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales. They have changed their website and some of their printed material accordingly. I haven't been past the shop recently, but I am surprised that they had not made that change as well.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
John Lobb (St. James's) holds two Royal Warrants -- to His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh and His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales. They have changed their website and some of their printed material accordingly.

Have they changed their insole covers? Three-warrant Lobbs may be future collector's items.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Exactly my point.

Actually, I'm saying that both you and JLibourel do not recognize the differences, not that the differences cannot be seen from a reasonable distance.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or are you just worshiping the shoes because it's John Lobb bespoke?

Self esteem/epeen issues aside, are you honestly able to tell the difference between a pair of John Lobb bespoke to AE PA's shape/design and a pair of simple AE PA?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Self esteem/epeen issues aside, are you honestly able to tell the difference between a pair of John Lobb bespoke to AE PA's shape/design and a pair of simple AE PA?
I absolutely can, and the differences seem so obvious to me that I wonder how anyone who claims to be interested in shoes could miss them.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My one pair:
p1020602rr5.jpg
p1020604np7.jpg

I was thinking to myself that If I ever owned a clothing company I would probably rip off that shoe. Very impressed.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I absolutely can, and the differences seem so obvious to me that I wonder how anyone who claims to be interested in shoes could miss them.

If a bespoke shoes is made into the same design and similar lasts but yet looks different, wouldn't they be failing their jobs?

So besides the quality of the leather, what else is different from 3 feet away?

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
I was thinking to myself that If I ever owned a clothing company I would probably rip off that shoe. Very impressed.

It's not rip-offable. That's the point.

Forget the ten-foot test. The distinctions are apparent at a greater distance because they are not differences of degree. They are differences of spirit and of essence. It's the difference between a woman possessing true and intrinsic beauty and another, perhaps lacking those qualities, who has tried to make herself up to resemble what she isn't. If you can't discern THAT difference from a city block....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
If a bespoke shoes is made into the same design and similar lasts but yet looks different, wouldn't they be failing their jobs?

So besides the quality of the leather, what else is different from 3 feet away?

The shape. And also the design. Yes, the basic design is the same, a punch cap is a punch cap. But that shoe has an upper clicked from a unique pattern just like a suit. I can't explain it in words, but if I could show you in person, with my shoes and an AE, I could make a case for how the upper pattern is subtly different and nicer on my shoes.

Then, of course, there is the fit and the construction, which are worlds apart.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the fit and construction but I probably have much more to learn in terms of appreciation.
musicboohoo[1].gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe it's the engineer in me, but I think that the trees are more interesting than the shoes. The first thing I'd do if I had these shoes was try the trees in all my RTWs to see how well/badly they fit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
maybe it's the engineer in me, but I think that the trees are more interesting than the shoes.

OK, you are a dork. If you can make me seem well adjusted, you are a BIG TIME dork.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads