• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm on an ECCO shoe kick

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
I really love this brand. I know many here probably don't consider them the most stylish shoes, but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn in my life. I can stand all day long wearing these and my knees, back, and hips are not as tired as they'd be in something else.

I just bought this dress shoe. It's the Austin Cap Toe and I got a black and a brown one.

ECCOSHOE2.jpg

ECCOSHOE1.jpg

With a coat of clear polish, it looks great and very dressy. Hopefully they make this shoe in the cognac color someday!

neyus

Reaction score
Oh for the love of God. Where are these people coming from?

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Those would go GREAT with a Tasso Elba shirt and Ozwald Boateng suit!!

You mean a Daswani.

neyus

Reaction score
Are Ecco shoes that comfortable? What makes them so comfortable? I just cant understand why they can't make their shoes a little more stylish.

Cornellian

Reaction score
Frank, I think what the other members are trying to say is that these shoes are not appropriate business / dress attire. They are fine with jeans on the weekend, but really not appropriate with a suit or wool trousers.

Alden makes a really great shoe (you should have a look). I have had lots of fit problems and lots of aching knees, but Alden manages to make a classic shoe that is comfortable. Plus, they can be resoled. Plus, they can often do double duty; dress shoe during the week, paired with casual clothing on the weekend. Plus, they just look a hell of a lot better. Plus, you can support American manufacturing.

Check out:
http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/

Cornellian

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of chestnut brown Ecco apron-toe bluchers that have served me well for about five years. I do not wear them much anymore, but they do look quite serviceable with a pair of jeans or with chino pants. I would not, however, wear them with wool trousers or with a suit.

From what I've heard, quality has nosedived in the past few years as manufacturing has now been outsourced to the subcontinent or to elsewhere in Asia, instead of Europe where the shoes were formerly made. My pair (thankfully) don't have "Ecco" printed on the side, either - that seems to be a more modern design affectation.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple pairs that I wear while commuting in nasty weather, but I always have better shoes in my bag and wouldn't be caught dead wearing them for more than 30 consecutive minutes.

stamp0102

Reaction score
i have a pair of black leather waterproof (gortex lined) ecco boots that are quite comfortable. they weigh next to nothing and the footbed is excellent. as others have stated, certainly not dressy. khakis, maybe; trousers, you'd have to be out of your mind. i usually wear them when it's snowing (not even in the rain), if that gives you an idea of what i think of them. and they were pretty expensive (and were not bought at retail), but were exactly what i was looking for, so i bit the bullet.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Frank, I think what the other members are trying to say is that these shoes are not appropriate business / dress attire. They are fine with jeans on the weekend, but really not appropriate with a suit or wool trousers.

Alden makes a really great shoe (you should have a look). I have had lots of fit problems and lots of aching knees, but Alden manages to make a classic shoe that is comfortable. Plus, they can be resoled. Plus, they can often do double duty; dress shoe during the week, paired with casual clothing on the weekend. Plus, they just look a hell of a lot better. Plus, you can support American manufacturing.

Check out:
http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/

Cornellian

While I don't deny that Ecco isn't appropriate for dress-up environments, but you gotta be out of your mind to think Alden or even Job Lobb bespoke can be more comfortable than Ecco.

Seriously, there's no way to beat the comfort levels of Ecco or FootJoy.

Or do you really prefer clubs-carrying golfing on a pair of Aldens with spikes? Or try to hike in John Lobb boots?

Originally Posted by neyus
Are Ecco shoes that comfortable? What makes them so comfortable? I just cant understand why they can't make their shoes a little more stylish.

The padded insole, added cushioning, flexibility of the sole, etc. Agree that Ecco ain't stylish but with all the extra paddings it would be hard to make a sleek shoes.

I think non golfers, hikers and medical staffs will have hard time understanding the benefits of owning Ecco or FootJoy.
tongue.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
While I don't deny that Ecco isn't appropriate for dress-up environments, but you gotta be out of your mind to think Alden or even Job Lobb bespoke can be more comfortable than Ecco.

Seriously, there's no way to beat the comfort levels of Ecco or FootJoy.

Or do you really prefer clubs-carrying golfing on a pair of Aldens with spikes? Or try to hike in John Lobb boots?

The padded insole, added cushioning, flexibility of the sole, etc. Agree that Ecco ain't stylish but with all the extra paddings it would be hard to make a sleek shoes.

I think non golfers, hikers and medical staffs will have hard time understanding the benefits of owning Ecco or FootJoy.
tongue.gif

But it's all a BIG, BIG LIE. (by that I mean the whole shoe industry, very interesting article BTW)

Don't you hear?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. Great New York Magazine article.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The conception that these "health shoes" are more comfortable is just a lie. Walking is not that strenuous. Fit is the most important thing.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
But it's all a BIG, BIG LIE. (by that I mean the whole shoe industry, very interesting article BTW)

Don't you hear?

Interesting article I guess but the fact of the matter is that most of us have no choice but to wear shoes. In my house I actually am usually barefooted but I don't think too many of the lawyers, businessmen, etc. here can walk around without shoes on. I certainly have no intention of doing it in the hospital.

The fact of the matter is that I agree with the OP. I don't have some of the higher-end shoes that many of the people on this forum do; certainly not bespoke. I own several pairs of Allen-Edmonds, one Bostonian (that I regret buying to be honest), one Ecco and one Taryn Rose.

For shorter stints, I don't have a problem wearing the leather-soled AEs but they definitely do not compare with walking around in my rubber-soled Eccos which are infinitely more comfortable over the long haul. Ever been on your feet for 30+ hours straight? Well, more or less as I do spend part of the day sitting. Trust me, not fun in leather shoes. Very doable in rubber and even more comfortable in sneakers.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeeeeeees