• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
For example, compare a Chanel J12 to a Panerai. The price range is the same but Panerai's movement is most likely far mroe superior but if you like the J12's look better then I don't see anything wrong with it. The same for Gucci. Just like buying a Rolex over an IWC, you get more compliments with the Rolex because it's more popular but the movement in the IWC is much better. If it's the attention or prestige from the general public are what you are looking for, go with the Rolex instead of the IWC, simple as that.

This is StyleForum for crying out loud. I don't think we encourage that type of consumer behavior...

1159[1].gif

sogg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys guys! much appriciated.
To give abit more information about why im buying a watch. This is my first watch purchase as i generally dont like to wear em, but have been reading that a nice watch is a necessary accessory. I still dont really understand much about the specifics of watches (movements etc) Hence why i have looked for a watch with a certain style in mind. I have attached a picture of the one im considering , if you could recommened something similar in style and price it would be good, keep in mind that im in Melbourne, Australia. So it must be able to be purchased here.

Thanks alot

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Gucci watches are probably better thought of as "accessories" that happen to tell time. They are no better than Swatch, Timex, or Seiko in terms of telling time. Serious watch guys would probably never own one. That said though, if they appeal to you and you don't mind spending more than its worth, whatever floats your boat.

SERIOUS WATCH GUYS

we are serious about telling the time

lawguy50

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sogg
Thanks for all the replys guys! much appriciated. To give abit more information about why im buying a watch. This is my first watch purchase as i generally dont like to wear em, but have been reading that a nice watch is a necessary accessory. I still dont really understand much about the specifics of watches (movements etc) Hence why i have looked for a watch with a certain style in mind. I have attached a picture of the one im considering , if you could recommened something similar in style and price it would be good, keep in mind that im in Melbourne, Australia. So it must be able to be purchased here. Thanks alot
For the price you are going to pay, I think you could do better than the Gucci. Check out some of the Hamilton chrono watches. They are a good alternative for someone who wants a nice auto without spending thousands.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
822327651_1efebd248a.jpg

John Ellis

Reaction score
I'd steer clear of all these designer labelled watches. They essentially have the intrinsic value of something bought on the street in Manhattan. If you can't afford the real thing search for something that gives you the "look" you want and don't worry about the label. This way you'll save yourself hundreds or maybe thousands of bucks and have something that looks fine while you pile up the dough required for the real thing. Conversely, if you can afford the real thing go for it. I've got top quality watches that are worth as much or more then I paid for them 20 years ago, that's a loss with inflation but in twenty years I suspect one of these Gucci faux quality timepieces will be lingering in a drawer and worth nothing.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Hey dude don't diss Rolex. As a jeweller told me years ago it's the easiest watch to pawn at the best price. The solid gold with president bracelet and white or champagne face still looks great with any outfit and if you want to impress chicks they all notice whereas I've never had anyone, chick or otherwise, comment on a Patek Calatrava.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
Hey dude don't diss Rolex. As a jeweller told me years ago it's the easiest watch to pawn at the best price. The solid gold with president bracelet and white or champagne face still looks great with any outfit and if you want to impress chicks they all notice whereas I've never had anyone, chick or otherwise, comment on a Patek Calatrava.

That is your cue to leave their ghetto ass on the curb.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Watches are the easy to prove you are paying 95% of the price for the name because the inside of the watch on a Timex and your Gucci are exactly the same, either Quartz or Swiss Made movement.

You can get a $300 Burberry watch that or a $5,000 Louis Vuitton watch and the difference is the name and style. The inside is all Swiss Made.

You realize there are varying levels within the "Swisss Made" umbrella?
Think of it like your coffee experience. Some places (lower end) serve their cafe au lait in a little mug and some places (refined, higher end) serve theirs in a c.a.l. bowl.
tounge.gif

sogg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
I'd steer clear of all these designer labelled watches. They essentially have the intrinsic value of something bought on the street in Manhattan. If you can't afford the real thing search for something that gives you the "look" you want and don't worry about the label. This way you'll save yourself hundreds or maybe thousands of bucks and have something that looks fine while you pile up the dough required for the real thing. Conversely, if you can afford the real thing go for it. I've got top quality watches that are worth as much or more then I paid for them 20 years ago, that's a loss with inflation but in twenty years I suspect one of these Gucci faux quality timepieces will be lingering in a drawer and worth nothing.

So do you reckon a Tag would be a better choice i like the "Grand Carrera Calibre 8 RS" Not sure if its in the same price range but.

lawguy50

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sogg
So do you reckon a Tag would be a better choice i like the "Grand Carrera Calibre 8 RS" Not sure if its in the same price range but.

The Carrera would be a much better choice.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Gucci watches. Yes their overpriced, yes you're just paying for the style, but that can be said about a lot of desirable items in fashion. I really like that watch that dshin posted, I love the "G" design Gucci watches. Been wanting to pick one up for a while now.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: What is your price range? This would give us a better sense of how to advise you on a "better" watch purchase. I would tend to agree with the other watch afficionadoes that are suggesting you steer away from the heavily branded designery watches. If you're going to get a watch, buy one from an actual watchmaker (even if they're a less expensive one, like Oris or Seiko), not a fashion house.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
You realize there are varying levels within the "Swisss Made" umbrella?
Think of it like your coffee experience. Some places (lower end) serve their cafe au lait in a little mug and some places (refined, higher end) serve theirs in a c.a.l. bowl.
tounge.gif

Yes, but all your getting is a minimum standard guarantee with "Swiss Made", and for the difference in price, 15x plus, it hardly seems justified to me. If they can sell a Swiss Made watch for a couple hundred bucks and a couple thousand bucks, what's the "minimum guarantee" really worth? That it won't fall apart the moment you buy it? I suppose you would seriously have to look into the watch if you were going to pay $5,000 for a Swiss Made watch to ensure it really was at a higher level than the $300 watch.

I like the look of the LV watch, and I'm sure it tells time as good (or bad) as any other, but I'd certainly spend the 5,000 on something else.

And I think we settled on the fact that it's only places with pretensions of being high-end that serve it in the bowl (or a soup bowl in my situation), and are not necessarily high-end by virtue of serving their latte's in a bowl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads