• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crittenden - The Worlds Finest Hand Tailored Clothing

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I know production costs in China must be much lower than in the U.S. or Europe, but $895 for a blazer (in decent cloth, I assume) with as much handsewing as described is hard to believe.

My thoughts exactly...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
My thoughts exactly...

+1. Too good to be true.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
+1. Too good to be true.

I don't know about that. If Hickey Freeman can make a full canvas sportcoat with a retail price of $1000 using union labor in Rochester, NY, I think you could very easily make one with much more handwork in Tailoring City, China for the same or a lot less. There's an article in this week's New Yorker about airport design with this amazing point:

The Beijing terminal cost $3.65 billion to build, which in China bought a structure bigger than all five terminals at Heathrow put together, for less than half the cost of the new Terminal 5. The project was conceived, designed, constructed, and opened in four years, whereas the Heathrow terminal, from conception to completion, took twenty years.
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...urrentPage=all

neyus

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with the previous poster. It is not hard to believe the price, given the labor costs in China.

I think if companies are using developing companies to produce their garments they should step up quality and pass on the prices to the consumers.

mpickens8982

Reaction score
The store I work at in OKC sells both the regular Crittenden machine made line and now the new handsewn collection. The craftsmanship on the handsewn line is pretty remarkable. In my opinion, it does rival the Oxxford/Kiton/Brioni's I've seen/owned (Being a RLPL and Isaia fan and retailer, I don't have any Oxxfords or Kitons, but I do own 2 Brionis and Many RLPL's and Isaias). Crit is doing an amazing job. On a side note (forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place) he will be in the store (Spencer Stone Co.) on April 22nd for a show. In addition to what we already have in stock, he is bringing pieces from both lines in a variety of sizes. If nothing else, I am excited to have Crit here because he is one of the great personalities in the business.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlfurbay
Crittenden Rawlings, former CEO of Oxxford, is changing the industry (again).

He started with a casual collection of soft coats and now he is ready to take on the worlds best coat makers.

He just released a new collection of hand tailored clothing. These garments may be the finest in the world. Yes, I did say the finest in the world. After veiwing the garments in my store I can honestly say they have more hand work than Brioni, Oxxford, Kiton, Attolini, etc... In addition to the hand work, I have a true testimonial to back up the fit. The first two coats I sold this past weekend were size 46 and 48. They fit perfect! If you can fit the big boys, you can fit anyone.

Romualdo, our founder, was shocked by the discipline used in the hand sewing. He claims there is no other garment in the world with this much detail. You can't beleive how close the stitches are at the top of the trouser. Most would assume that it is by machine.

If you get a chance, find a retailer who can show you this garment. For those of you who know, you shall see...

All Oxxford has more, much more of significantly more handwork than all clothing brands (be it Kiton, Brioni, Attolini, etcetera) with all bespoke from all high end, reputable and high priced tailors worldwide being the only clothing makers on the planet exceeding Oxxford for handwork (and far exceeding Oxxford for everything else that is conceivable).

Bespoke from Kiton, Brioni, Attolini and other excessively priced clothing brands that claim to offer bespoke (I question whether or not bespoke from any clothing brand is really bespoke at all and how bespoke it is if it is even bespoke at all) hardly has more handwork that ready to wear and made to measure from these brands (RTW and MTM from all brands have identical handwork and machine work, FWIW).

The Crittenden jacket from Oxxford is certainly no exception anything that I mentioned in the first two paragraphs of this reply topic.

Bespoke from all tailors worldwide that are low end, non reputable and low priced tend to balance out handwork and machine work, FWIW.

tlfurbay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
All Oxxford has more, much more of significantly more handwork than all clothing brands (be it Kiton, Brioni, Attolini, etcetera) with all bespoke from all high end, reputable and high priced tailors worldwide being the only clothing makers on the planet exceeding Oxxford for handwork (and far exceeding Oxxford for everything else that is conceivable).

Bespoke from Kiton, Brioni, Attolini and other excessively priced clothing brands that claim to offer bespoke (I question whether or not bespoke from any clothing brand is really bespoke at all and how bespoke it is if it is even bespoke at all) hardly has more handwork that ready to wear and made to measure from these brands (RTW and MTM from all brands have identical handwork and machine work, FWIW).

The Crittenden jacket from Oxxford is certainly no exception anything that I mentioned in the first two paragraphs of this reply topic.

Bespoke from all tailors worldwide that are low end, non reputable and low priced tend to balance out handwork and machine work, FWIW.

Correction, the Crittenden jacket is not from Oxxford.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif

What flavor is the Koolaid being served?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlfurbay
Correction, the Crittenden jacket is not from Oxxford.
You mean that all Crittenden jackets are not the same as all Oxxford jackets and significantly different from the brand named in the second part of the present sentence of my reply?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
rolleyes.gif

What flavor is the Koolaid being served?

... not good to call the kettle black......

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
... not good to call the kettle black......

How about the tulip?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember when people literally laughed at Toyota, Datsun, and Honda cars as junk.

This was in the late 1970s and Cadillac was then considered at the top of the food chain as far as cars sold in the USA (with exceptions like Mercedes and Rolls).

Flash forward 30 years. Now Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura are generally considered superior to Cadillac.

What would be surprising if this were to happen with upper end RTW coats vis a vis Oxxford and Crittendon. It's easy to see Crittendon becoming a real player in upper end US RTW coats.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Sure, but Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti still lag behind Mercedes and BMW in qualitative measures. In some instances, they don't have the capacity to compete at the same level (Lexus isn't going to make a V-12 anytime soon, and Acura won't even put money into a V-8). Moreover, they aren't any cheaper than Cadillac, and when equally equipped, not significantly cheaper than the Germans. If the Crittenden suit is as described, it would be like a top-of-the-line Lexus LS460h selling for $25k.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Lexus stops teasing and finally make the LF-A ....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads