• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gmail: Why use it?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Can someone give us a printscreen image of their gmail inbox?

I can do it when I get home if no one else has done it by then.

JB

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Piobaire, do you work for GoDaddy?

godaddy_1.jpg

P.S. Gmail pwns. Privacy is overrated.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
True, but at $33 per year, it is next to free, plus you have a matching website. A very handy tool for things like posting your resume behind a password and also great for a personal calling card. What could be more professional than to have your email address be something like

[email protected]

or something similar? You can also make up various accounts to go with any hobbies or interests, plus make up spam accounts. I turn on and off my spam accounts as idiots put me in their email lists. You know the type, the ones that send 120 people a stupid joke with all 120 people's emails showing? I have a couple of offensive addresses I give out to those people and they often to not put me in their spam lists. Like "[email protected]". It works
smile.gif

That does all sound pretty nice. How about you just give me access to your domain, that way I can not spend $33 a year (which I really don't care about, don't get me wrong) and I can still get the experience with something so exclusive.

Something like "[email protected]"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Piobaire, do you work for GoDaddy?

Not even close. Just given precise information on where I am obtaining a very good price. I had my domains hosted from web.com, which was the result of many mergers over the years, and their prices were far more.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Gmail. Very easy to use the web interface and I use Thunderbird to download mail at home. And Google Docs is cool as hell. It makes it very easy for me to access home documents and mail at work or on anyone else's computer.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by finch
- Threaded conversation that always bubble up to most recent
+1

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but at $33 per year, it is next to free, plus you have a matching website. A very handy tool for things like posting your resume behind a password and also great for a personal calling card. What could be more professional than to have your email address be something like [email protected] or something similar? You can also make up various accounts to go with any hobbies or interests, plus make up spam accounts. I turn on and off my spam accounts as idiots put me in their email lists. You know the type, the ones that send 120 people a stupid joke with all 120 people's emails showing? I have a couple of offensive addresses I give out to those people and they often to not put me in their spam lists. Like "[email protected]". It works
smile.gif

I use Google Apps together with my own domain name. Best of both worlds. Gmail offers integration that I find very useful - for instance, Psiloc's Gsync on my phone sends tagged as SMS or MMS every message I send or receive automatically. I can that way use it as a long term threaded-conversation archive that I can search by label or keyword either using IMAP/POP3 or the mobile Gmail client. And the capacity offered by Gmail means that I also use it for storing docs I need to access when I am away from the PC. I also use iGoogle and Google Calendar.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
godaddy_1.jpg

Not even close. Just given precise information on where I am obtaining a very good price. I had my domains hosted from web.com, which was the result of many mergers over the years, and their prices were far more.

I was about to say, your **** are impeccable.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I started forwarding all my mail through Gmail just for the spam filter. I've used Godaddy myself, but I've heard REALLY awful things about their customer service. You can't expect much for $33/year, though. There's no reason why you can't use your own domain name/addresses and have the mail forwarded through Gmail, and check it using POP or IMAP with whatever client you want.

The only issue I've had with it was when setting it up on someone's HTC Mogul, the client kept deleting every message at every check, but I think that may have been an issue with the mail client. Oh, and they use non-default ports for the mail servers, so it may be a little complicated for some people to set up. But they do walk you through it on the site for most clients.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my favorite feature on gmail has got to be gchat. my office runs off lotus notes so we also use their instant messaging program, but it's kind of unwieldy so having gchat makes it easier to talk to co-workers and friends alike without having to send numerous e-mails that clog up my inbox.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
my favorite feature on gmail has got to be gchat. my office runs off lotus notes so we also use their instant messaging program, but it's kind of unwieldy so having gchat makes it easier to talk to co-workers and friends alike without having to send numerous e-mails that clog up my inbox.

We use lotusnotes as well. I really dislike the Lotus IM

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I use gmail mostly as a "spam" account; any website I sign up for (even SF) I give that address. The beauty is that the spam filter is so good that I rarely get anything via POP3 (another reason) that isn't meant for me. Gmail helps to keep my emails separated in my Mail program in terms of "business" and "pleasure."

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8