• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

metkirk

Reaction score
It seems to me that SF streetwear's kind of risk averse. With the exception of some individuals trying to take the risk and spice up their outfits, the rest just look blah.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get my daily dose of trying too hard on sufu's WAYWT, half of them are wearing supreme for brand recognition the same way amjacks wear ed hardy, the other half dress in all black runway inspired clothing wearing dior jeans and the like. The former I don't really care about(jeans and a tshirt, how can you hate that), the latter I think is aweosme when pulled off but I think to myself, wearing this isn't practical for me; so it loses some of its appeal.

RE: holding a baseball bat, I thought it was pretty obvious that it was contrived but it's hard to find good poses for WAYWT xD straight on profile shots aren't always flattering.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
It seems to me that SF streetwear's kind of risk averse. With the exception of some individuals trying to take the risk and spice up their outfits, the rest just look blah.

Agreed.

Less talk more rock like my man said
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was actually ment to have some edge, since I think youre statement reveals a rather boring idea of "style". As someone stated in the "trying too hard" -thread, its better to try too hard than not try at all.
This has btw nothing to do with Shormans fit, which I rather liked (and sometimes I go for the comfy and easy way aswell).

seems Ive become the
nest.gif
guy of wdywt... I dont have a camera anymore, so instead of posting myself, I just ***** about others
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Souper
?

this comment seems to have an edge to it; I meant that many people on this forum have been adventurous as of late purposefully trying new things(not a bad thing)...

I don't have any concrete examples; a few pages back there was someone pointing out the fact that sauce's fits look better when he doesn't try as hard, etcetera., my comment was in the same vein.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
Do you have any suggestions on how people can take more risks with streetwear? Tighter jeans? Tank tops? Wearing a hat backwards? Combining osh kosh b'gosh jeans with a dior polo? That would be pretty risky I would think. Seriously though, what do you have in mind?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ha, that's probably true. I'm trying to clean up my purchases a bit to be less street; My wardrobe purchases are such that I can mix and match whatever I pull out of the laundry bag without TOO much color consideration...

I definitely appreciate fashiony items, and everyone's personal sense of style; however I think that own personal sense of style needs to be very defined in your own head in order to pull off the aesthetic you're seeking. Experimental fits are cool and I guess that's what one of the things WAYWT is good for(a peer editing process), it is however good to see an easy fit once in a while because that's generally what I end up wearing day after day.

Sartorially, I am pretty lazy these days. It is not a representation of my sense of style but rather the attitude with which I approach clothing, at least this season. perhaps this is a reflection of my own life, though(new job, lots of expenses and college application process is front burner for now)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

Or to turn it around, at what age do you accept that you just don't have it any more, and turn to 16"-rise double-pleated chinos and tent-like buttonfront shirts with an ill-fitting sack sportcoat and loafers?

So anything that deviates from your SW&D tastes cannot look good?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
So anything that deviates from your SW&D tastes cannot look good?

So anything that deviates from your imagined "grown-up" look can't look good?

You need to actually read what I wrote.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
So anything that deviates from your imagined "grown-up" look can't look good?

You need to actually read what I wrote.

I'm multi-tasking.

I didn't say it looked bad either; but, your implication was that if you "give up" streetwear you have to start wearing baggy and ill fitting clothing.

Mine was merely a musing that at what point in life does one go from SW&D to MC? I guess you don't have to; but, I was just curious what the feelings were on that in this forum.

All of this was started with Chronoaug and the "classy" coat comment that on the other forum is a "regular" coat.

P.S. My Dad is almost 50 and has spent plenty of $ at Dior Homme and Cloak...yah, it's kind of wierd.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I'm multi-tasking.

I didn't say it looked bad either; but, your implication was that if you "give up" streetwear you have to start wearing baggy and ill fitting clothing.

Mine was merely a musing that at what point in life does one go from SW&D to MC? I guess you don't have to; but, I was just curious what the feelings were on that in this forum.

All of this was started with Chronoaug and the "classy" coat comment that on the other forum is a "regular" coat.

P.S. My Dad is almost 50 and has spent plenty of $ at Dior Homme and Cloak...yah, it's kind of wierd.

I think the divide between the two is a false dichotomy. There are obviously crossover posters between MC and SW&D, and while some looks probably just aren't going to work when you're 50 years old, I don't see "jeans, t-shirt, and casual jacket" being one of those that a middle-aged guy can't pull off anymore. I think a man with a great wardrobe of suits who refuses to wear a hoodie is just as limited as a kid who rolls his eyes at anything more "formal" than an odd jacket.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
GDL's M-65 looks great. Safari and somewhat militarish dressed-up jackets are something the more traditional italian companies do surprisingly well from what I've seen here and in stores.

To answer the grown-up/dressynotdressy/whatever debate, if it looks good and it matches your lifestyle/image, who cares. Some pretty far-out brands look better on men 40+ imho, MA+, Carpe Diem, CCP, Yohji are all fine examples. Granted I'm not a streetwear in the strictest sense kind of guy so I don't see my look changing too much as I start to rippen like an old plum. I also think a very workwear inspired look like Bobo's looks great on older guys so there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members