• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Olive Garden vs. Red Lobster

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally like Olive Garden and Red Lobster although I wouldn't eat there on a regular basis. Sometimes kicking back with some decent food in a relaxed environment is nice. My job involves eating at expensive restaurants almost every evening and I still think the food there is good if not spectacular.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Olive Garden is really good. Who cares if it's corporate or not completely fresh....for ~$15 I get a very satisfying meal that hits the spot, complete with a tasty enough salad and breadsticks. And their chicken marsala is still way better than anything from an "authentic" Italian restaurant

+1 on the comment that while most of the world starves, we get the privilege of overeating at OG at a price nearly everyone can afford

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
+1 on the comment that while most of the world starves, we get the privilege of overeating at OG at a price nearly everyone can afford

this is the big thing - everyone can eat at an OG, occosionally. the food is filling, and tasty. how authentic it is, or how fresh the food is, is another story all together.

I've only eaten at an OG twice, but I eat at other chain places like chilis all the time. my son likes IHOP.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never eaten at an Olive Garden, and have only been to Red Lobster once. Didn't like RL. So OG can't be much worse.

But shouldnt we be comparing RL to other seafood restaurants and OG to other Italian restaurants?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I've never eaten at an Olive Garden, and have only been to Red Lobster once. Didn't like RL. So OG can't be much worse.

But shouldnt we be comparing RL to other seafood restaurants and OG to other Italian restaurants?

Yes, the reason the original poster posted it was because it was a spam free gift card offer.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My chain restuarant of choice is TGI Fridays. That Jack Daniels sauche is awesome.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
My chain restuarant of choice is TGI Fridays. That Jack Daniels sauche is awesome.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

werd. I'm not so into buffalo wings but TGI's JD wings are f'ing awesome, all cuz of the sauce

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm fond of IHOP, Outback, Houston's, Claim Jumper, and Cheesecake among major chains, as well as the aboveformentioned pair.

I used to go to TGI a lot because they had one right very close to my office. It was a good place to kick back with a few drinks after a long day heh

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't help but think of Office Space whilst in TGI Fridays

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm all with you guys. I hate going to chain resturaunts like OG, Red lobster and Chili's. ****. I haven't been to any of those places in 3 years without feeling bloated and sick that night. Not food poisoning, just not feeling well.

TGI Fridays is also my chain of choice. I mainly just split a few appetizers and drinks with the gf. The Jack Daniels Chicken Strips are good.

I kinda want to do Red Lobster or Olive Garden to go tomorrow, just to get some breadsticks and chedder rolls. The only things i actually enjoy there.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find TGIF to be the worst of the Chain Crazy-****-on-the-Walls places, mega bland and not worth the paper the money I pay is printed on. I mean, one time I had to go there and ordered some "sizzlin" chicken dish it was served on a hot pan with some pan fried veggies on the side and a pile of melted cheese. I got the food and looked at the melted grease pile and was like "umm, what is this?" to the waitress, who responded with a you must be a ******* marsupial tone "its a side of cheese." WTF am I supposed to do with a side of melted cheese? it was not even like liquid melted, it was melted and cooled into a plasticky oily mess.

OG has predictable food, I always manage to get Mad angry diarrhea when ever I go to any "normal" American chain restaurant, unless I abstain from eating most of the menu items.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Seriously, i don't know what happened. I used to be able to eat those chain places all the time, now i just can't. If i go to fridays, i can only get appetizers. I tried having just quesadillas at chili's a few months ago and it killed me. My first 2 years at college i didn't go out to eat much and didn't eat much ****** processed foods, and now i just can't go back. Not because i'm a food snob(which i kinda am) but because my body just gets really angry at me. That melted cheese mess sounds absolutely terrible.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also a pretty big fan of Houlihan's. They got this Lemon Tuscan Chicken that's pretty rad. There's also this plattrer with steak ribs and shrimp that's pretty damn good too. I also go to Benihana once a week and get some hibachi filet mignon that's off the hizzle. I like to mix it up - sometimes I go to chains, sometimes I go to fancypants restaurants, sometimes I go to local dives, but hell, you only live once - might as well try it all.

sunkissed89

Reaction score
Hm.

I work at Olive Garden as a server and I know for a fact that we don't use MSG in our food. All of our food is prepared fresh daily and a surprising amount of our food was never frozen, a difficult feat for any chain restaurant.

But is the vast majority of Olive Garden food healthy? Hell no. Most of their entrees have 700 calories+ and large amounts of fat due to generous portions, cheese, sauce, and pasta.

Realistically, if you want a restaurant that doesn't use any chemicals, freeze any of their food, and has healthy portion sizes.... well, you need to eat somewhere outside of America. America's food industry is controlled by a few large corporations. So, more than likely, the chain restaurant downtown and the mom and pop store down the road and the grocery store are all getting the same chemical-injected, *****, antibiotic-ridden meat and other products unless they buy their products from a private farmer (which there are very few of). And they probably don't because everything would cost a lot more in that case, and their profit would be less.

Ahhh... America. Pass the all white chicken breast that belonged to a chicken that never saw the light of day, was jacked up on chemicals so it would reach twice the size it would normally grow to in a mere 72 months - usually chickens need a year + more to mature and reach a relatively small size, alien to the huge chickens of today - and further jacked up on chemicals to ensure that the chicken grew very large breasts, since everyone loves all white meat....

I won't even go into the beef and vegetable industry in America.

Sorry for the rant. It just amazes me how little people know about what they're putting into their bodies. I suppose some people wouldn't want to know... but I always prefer to be informed rather than ignorant.

If anyone's interested in learning more, the guy who wrote Food, Inc. recently made a movie about it that's become somewhat popular. He's basically saying the same thing everyone else has been saying for years, but the movie was pretty good. Here's a link:
http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-issues.php

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52