• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I like Belgian beer

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triple7allstar
Ok,

So. I'm making copious amounts of notes on this forum becuase, since I started drinking beer (at the age of 20 - hehe) I've noticed that I tend toward Belgians. I love Stella, but I wonder if that is because I haven't tried much of what else is available?

Is Stella really considered the Bud of Belgium?

I'm going to make a list of all of what has been offered herein and try them all! A daunting task, but someone has to do it.

Amen brother.

From the foreigners that I've spoken to, Stella is widely considered ubiquitous over there. Also, from what I gather, it's vastly superior to what we can get here in the states. The same sentiment seems to go for Guiness as well.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stella in North America is horrible. Tastes like piss water Coors and is twice the price.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that really true? because Stella, Heiny, and Amstel taste remarkably terrible, across the board here. OMG have you ever tried Heiny Lite? it is the worst beer there is...

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Not aure about that. Was it a Belgian or a US made beer? Dupont's Saison I found very underwhelming. Their Foret was much better.

I figured it out tonight when I was at Whole Foods. The brand was La Binchoise. I can't remember exactly which one it was though.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arenaissanceman
I figured it out tonight when I was at Whole Foods. The brand was La Binchoise. I can't remember exactly which one it was though.

Thanks. I will see if I come across it. I have here two Brasserie Liefmans lambik that I have not seen before; we shall see what they are like. Hopefully they are not syrup lambik like Lindemans...

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Seeing Rochefort 10 mentioned earlier in this thread I have to give that a huge +1 as well as the Red Chimay. But the R 10, for a high octane beer, is excellent.

aybojs

Reaction score
Thanks. I will see if I come across it. I have here two Brasserie Liefmans lambik that I have not seen before; we shall see what they are like. Hopefully they are not syrup lambik like Lindemans...

Liefmans' fruit beers aren't lambics; they use a Flemish sour brown ale base (i.e. the Liefmans' Goudenband) that lacks the wild yeast and spontaneous fermentation of lambics.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Liefmans' fruit beers aren't lambics; they use a Flemish sour brown ale base (i.e. the Liefmans' Goudenband) that lacks the wild yeast and spontaneous fermentation of lambics.

Yeah, I realised that once I got home. I was looking at the bottle and realised that they listed nowhere on them the fact that they were lambic. And they were syrupy sweet. I think because of the shelf they were on I assumed they were lambik
frown.gif

wingnutsglory

Reaction score
I noted you want to try more... Now, with real Trappistes, there are only 7 places that make the stuff. 6 monastery breweries in Belgium and one in Holland. Widely regarded to be the best beer PERIOD is the Rochefort 10. Not cheap but if you can find it... good lord.

I'd always heard - and thought myself - that Westvleteren 12 is the most rare and amazing of the Trappist beers. Almost impossible to find but amazing.

wingnutsglory

Reaction score
Good luck... may be very hard to find as technically it is not suppossed to be resold.

You can get it in many Belgian beer shops and even some places in the US...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VargDori