• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did this thread get unpinned as a punishment or something?

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though

Vermont Sunday seersucker on Memorial Day weekend. Click for larger size if you wish.

Rare hat photograph in the regular WAYWRN thread.

- B

This looks great Bill! MBT?

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I'm a fan of the seersucker as well, but I would be remiss in not mentioning that his pants look downright puddled by his standards.

The crinkles in seersucker ease over the course of a day of wearing. Consequently a seersucker garment, unless restrained by a full lining which defeats the purpose of the fabric, actually grows in use. This is especially noticeable in trousers. A light pass with a steam iron re-crinkles the fabric and returns the garment to it's original measurements.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Did this thread get unpinned as a punishment or something?
If so I'll post every hour on the hour (or when I feel like posting) to keep it going strong. I'm crazy like that.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
For the peanut gallery, o/o's shirt and tie are atrociously ugly.

Second, that is two F-U items, not one.

Third, the tie alone is so vomit inducing that, forget conservative business dress, which indeed it does not come within 100 miles of, it belongs nowhere near any decent outfit whatsoever.

Fourth, o/o makes his usual sophist point of taking me out of context. "You're shirt had some orange, my shirt has some orange, therefore they are ... the same!"

No. That shirt has a peach ground and then very small blue stripes. Peach utterly dominates. My shirt had a white ground, and blue and orange stripes, where the blue were more numerous than the orange, by far, so that the blue dominated. Not the same or even close.

He knows what he is doing. Why the rest of you can't see it, I have no idea.

Anyway, enjoy "What awful clown clothes are you wearing today" because I am out. I have asked the mods to nuke the thread, whether they do or don't I am done with this steaming pile.

Come on, man....really? You need to grow up. This is absurd.

Mike

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
Mr. Pink, I think you would benefit from trousers that are cut slimmer and with less break.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I would just say a slight taper below the knee and slightly less break.

Originally Posted by srivats
I disagree ... there is too much emphasis on slim trousers on this forum. I think Mr. Pink looks fantastic in his trousers. Most folks here would benefit from fuller fitting trousers. Very few have the physique to pull off a slim trouser.

Interested in expert advice/opinions on this question: I shot a bunch of pics (sorry for the number). I can't manage to take pictures where everything isn't foreshortened, but you can still get some idea of proportions. As I mentioned before, I'm 6', 190lbs, so not willing to go with slim fit pants. However, looking at these shots, I can imagine tapering the pants from knee to ankle and shortening a tiny bit.

Ke48f.jpg

0GQKG.jpg

nxtQe.jpg

b6hqP.jpg

cWXG8.jpg

JaHr3.jpg

085Eu.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^

I think the overall look you are going for favors trousers cut the way yours are. Cut that way, I think they look best with a slight break, as you have them. You have the figure for a slimmer cut style, but you seem to favor a more classic English look and I think you pull it off well. I do think that you can slim your pants down (from thigh all the way down) by a smidge (1/4-1/2 inch or so) and still retain this great silhouette but have the pants be a bit better fitting to your physique. The pants seem like they have a lot of allowance from the thighs on down, particularly the grey suit from the side shot, whereas the coat is a bit more fitted.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Before I saw that ed just posted I was going to say the same thing. I am about 6' 2" 190 and my stuff is much slimmer. I think just a tiny bit wouldn't hurt, but as ed said it looks really good and proportioned as is. Would you mind sharing who your tailor is? I am sure there are interested people in your area.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
...By the way, I don't hate anyone, nor have I ever said anything derogatory (on StyleForum or anywhere else on the internet) about anyone or his attire...
No, you don't hate anyone. And you haven't said anything derogatory, at least not directly. But you're like a kid thumbing his nose at the teacher and trying to get other kids to laugh with you at the teacher's expense.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chief41510