• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

kwoyeu

Reaction score
thanks guys. appreciate it.

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
i dont have that specific hard graft piece but ive owned and handled the sleeves and other stuff. great design and really durable. that transformer piece is pretty interesting and looks useful. but very diff aesthetic and design compared to your other choices
glad to hear you liked your hard graft item. i did a search but found zero discussion of hg, so that's very helpful. selectism also seems to like their stuff. definitely agreed that it's an odd piece among the other choices; i'm including it because (i know this sounds cliche) i'm not totally sure which direction my style is heading; as a grad student you alternate between different roles and never settle down on just one. it's definitely easier on my wallet though

Originally Posted by bdeuce22
jil. i have a couple leather pieces from jil and absolutely love them. i'm eyeing that bag as well, but will try and hold off to sales time.

good to hear. there's actually another jil ss11 bag that i'm eyeing, probably more appropriate for school/work given its smaller size (40/30/7.5 vs. 42/36/15). but i haven't found any store that stocks it. i hope they make it to sale...

high-res pics of that smaller jil bag

45151428PO_14_f.jpg

45151428PO_14_e.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I've had probably 10-15 Jil bags since about 2002 or so. Love them. They are made in different facilities since Prada sold them, but they're still decent. They had a year or two where they were using pretty crappy hardware and lining, but the last two seasons or so of Jil bags I saw were very nice. I don't think they are as nice as when prada was doing them, strangely enough, but they are still very nice. And, they often make it to sales time, so if you could get half off, I think they'd be worth it. Also like these two YSL bags on Mr. Porter. Prices are ridiculous, though, and I was REALLY disappointed with the quality when I was at the YSl store in November. Styles were great, but they really have cut corners with the hardware, lining, and leather quality. YSL used to be really nice quality, but these days, I'm not so sure. i haven't seen these two bags in person, btw. For $2000, you want "perfect." Still, though, I love the colors, styling, and size of these bags:
JOcqq.jpg
lsg5A.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking of selling it before I moved this summer, but I have decided to keep it. It's just too neat and I will try and make room. Thought I'd snap a pic and post it here, as it's probably the coolest weekender/duffle I've owned (and, by now, I've had a ton of them.) Gianfranco Ferre AW2009 weekender. Was one of my favorite runway seasons, and I was excited to get a few leather pieces during the sample sales. Link to the runway season: http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionshow...anfrancoferre/ Bag is petrol blue (grayish blue), and very thick toro (adult bull) hide. Should last longer than I will, and I can't wait to see how it looks broken in.
ZgzBh.jpg
Best indication of color and leather type:
xDTDw.jpg
Pic from the Aw2009 catalogue; they offered the bag in 3 or four colors and leathers... this cream soft calf, a black toro, petrol blue toro, and then a soft powder blue. This pic shows the shape of the bag best:
nkBk0.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Haha, agreed! I'll see if I can find some Peacocks around somewhere. Two more interesting/unique bags: at left is a CK Collection SS10 briefcase... I like the shape, the color, and the simplicity... it's definitely usable for work, but neither too boring nor too wild. on the right, something more wild. I have no idea what I'd do with it, but I love the shape. Guiliano Fujiwara men's tote from their last autumn collection.
L4M6y.jpg
esDR4.jpg

batgirl416

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum. Still going thru the 112 pages of posts, but so far, I'm loving what I see. Looking for a man bag for work and grad school for the hubby --- to put laptop, A4 size notebook, pens, books/mags/newspaper, other knick knacks, etc. Was hoping people in this forum can help. Ideally, the bag should be leather satchel with option of crossbody, lots of compartments in and out, nothing too trendy but not too serious either. Manly, rugged but clean looking and streamlined. Maximum budget of USD 700. In my research, this is the one that I've seen so far which might work: Ben Minkoff Nikki Messenger in Brown for USD 485. For those who own one, hope you can share your experience with it. Also, for those into satchel types, hope you can recommend 3-4 options of other brands which is similar in design (satchel, leather, compartments, etc).
BMB%20Nikki2.jpg
Thanks in advance for your help!

batgirl416

Reaction score
Hi Rach (and Everyone), I'm new to this forum. Still going thru the 112 pages of posts, but so far, I'm loving what I see. Thank you for such a nice well organized and informative thread. Was hoping you can help...... Looking for a man bag for work and grad school for the hubby --- to put laptop, A4 size notebook, gadgets, pens, books/mags/newspaper, other knick knacks, etc. Ideally, the bag should be leather satchel with adjustable shoulder/cross body strap, lots of compartments in and out, not too stiff but not too slouchy either. Nothing too trendy but not too serious either. Hubby works for United Nations ---- so something conservative yet rugged, clean looking and streamlined, yet still with "character". Range of: USD 500-800 (as he cannot fathom spending anything more than that for a work bag), pref in browns (chocolate, camel, etc) or dark grey, last choice is black. Hope you can recommend 4-5 other brands with similar style. I've attached some photos of style that he's looking ..... Style okay, but too stiff:
Documenti1.jpg
Scritto1.jpg
Similar to this, but maybe with more pockets:
Emmanuel2.jpg
This is the closest in terms of function and design, but was hoping you have other recommendations with better leather.
BMB%20Nikki2.jpg
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post! P.S. Sorry for the double post, but could no longer delete my earlier post.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After two years of use I've finally destroyed my Customhide Scholar XL - the shoulder strap clips broke a few weeks back and now the grab handle has finally separated from the bag.

I need a big briefcase bag and one that will take a lot of weight. I'm thinking a Saddleback briefcase bag is probably my best bet and would appreciate thoughts. Are they as tough as they claim? Any other suggestions?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the cognoscenti: I've seen this laptop bag twice recently in NYC. It's in beige canvas with leather trim - padded handles attached via a square ring to the case, leather on the corners, a single snap in the middle of the case. I can't find it for sale - or even a picture - online. Does the description ring a bell with anyone?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
After two years of use I've finally destroyed my Customhide Scholar XL - the shoulder strap clips broke a few weeks back and now the grab handle has finally separated from the bag.

I need a big briefcase bag and one that will take a lot of weight. I'm thinking a Saddleback briefcase bag is probably my best bet and would appreciate thoughts. Are they as tough as they claim? Any other suggestions?

That bag lasted just 2 years?
confused.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
That bag lasted just 2 years?
confused.gif

Yes. I'm heavy on bags - I carry a lot of weight and walk around 4 miles a day with them (was getting through $100 pilot cases at around 1 every 4-6 months). The basic bag survived reasonably well, but there were silly design issues:

• Whilst the D-rings are brass the shoulder stap clips are cheap coated metal and hence wore through until one completely separated.

• The handle came away because it's only attached by a single thickness of looped leather (if it had been double thickness and stitched, or re-inforced with thread it would have been fine).

• One of the clip-releases has partially come away (if it had been double riveted rather than a rivet and tab it would have been fine)

• The metal plate under the handle has partially worn through the leather top (if it had been sandwiched between an extra layer of leather or pigskin it would have been fine).

I wouldn't say don't buy Customhide bags - I'm sure for light to moderate use they'd be fine, but for daily heavy loads my experience suggests they're not well enough designed...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bootwatch