• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we're getting to the saturation point with respect to improper shoe fastening. Soon people will post pictures of shoes completely untied (or button boots unbuttoned for fellows of that persuasion) which will signal that we're at the overhyped stage, and the backlash will begin - with the square knot leading the way.

When this glorious day is upon us, I will return triumphantly and start a shoelace knot pr0n thread and the hype cycle will begin anew.

So it shall be written.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
I think we're getting to the saturation point with respect to improper shoe fastening. Soon people will post pictures of shoes completely untied (or button boots unbuttoned for fellows of that persuasion) which will signal that we're at the overhyped stage, and the backlash will begin - with the square knot leading the way.

When this glorious day is upon us, I will return triumphantly and start a shoelace knot pr0n thread and the hype cycle will begin anew.

So it shall be written.

nerd1.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
photo-3.jpg

Is that a brown silk twill and if so, when can I get one?

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Buy the same tie from ed ! It's a Panta and the silk is awesome.

These toes are as round as they get without getting into clunk territory
confused.gif

gdl, the shoes are awesome. where are they from?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
gdl, the shoes are awesome. where are they from?

They're Ferragamo Tramezza

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I wore this afternoon probably qualifies as conservative business dress (at least it would do if a conservative business dress workplace permitted odd jacket/trousers) though I wasn't doing anything businessy in it...
vKwWk.jpg
Lighting is a bit dark on my screen. Trousers are a very, very dark brown/charcoal, and the shoes are dark mahogany brown. I bet I can guess which specific aspect will draw fire...
colour inversion top/bottom

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
MoK, bring back the Englishman, I much prefer your bolder looks.

Originally Posted by Azzurri
I agree with Nore. I'm used to seeing you in patterns, Mok. And I think they suit you better.

Originally Posted by srivats
I like this look on your, MoK.

Thanks - I like pattern so it felt rather odd. I'll give it another go at some point though.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
MoK, I like where you're going, but the square strikes me as a little lonely. Maybe a patterned square with cream in it? For real patternless minimalism, I might swap out the cream shirt for tried and true white and go with a TV fold.

Yes I thought about white, and white - the square was the awkward bit, but it seemed a bit of a cop out to take the easy option today
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Parker
All solids does not seem quite right either. It's sort of the flip side of too many patterns. I think using one or two subtle patterns (or even a highly textured solid) looks better and is more conservative business dress than all solid. I think Manton mentioned it's due to the relative rarity of solid ties.

If I'd allowed myself one pattern, I'd have probably gone for a wine grenadine and the cream & burgundy map-print square I wore a short while back.

Originally Posted by Manton
I like all solids sometimes. Maybe I will do it tomorrow.
I look forward to it.

It's been an interesting experiment - I think trying something outside of one's comfort zone be it colour, pattern or whatever is good from time to time.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
All solids can be tricky business. Hard for me to think of a square I'd like in that situation other than white.

Yes - (and I'm of the white linen only with white ground shirts or white contrast collars school) my usual go to solid silk is cream, but the shirt ruled that out. Pale pink didn't look too bad, nor did pale blue, but I ended up tossing a coin between burgundy and gold.

ndw

Reaction score
Conservative today.​

LUsCy.jpg
MFT5W.jpg
BuPMh.jpg

ctp120

Reaction score
^^Excellent jacket fit. Pants look a little off, but likely just the pic. I'd also prefer a pocket square. Very nice overall and certainly conservative business dress in my book.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
110406020.jpg
LanciaFlaminia.jpg
[/size][/font]​
^Love both sets of wheels!
Originally Posted by TRINI
5595479238_e6369f7dc7_z.jpg

^I think this is the best AE last they made.
Originally Posted by edmorel
photo-5.jpg

^love the SC and the pants look sweet. Wish my thighs weren't so big.
Originally Posted by ctp120
^^Excellent jacket fit. Pants look a little off, but likely just the pic. I'd also prefer a pocket square. Very nice overall and certainly conservative business dress in my book.
^Thx, Ctp. Pants could probably be taken in and pretty much all my pants need work one way or another. My weight fluctuates in direct relation to how much I exercise. Can be a pain to keep things fitted so I like a little room.
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member