• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make no judgements. I don't know the particulars, obviously. Just seems a little strange to quit P Johnson after he just joined them. I guess I'm just surprised by this, that's all.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- noted, but no one on SF bar Ethan & a few knew the actual arrangement.. Like wise why he left Herringbone. WHy he did 6 weeks with the Armoury boys.. - I understand from a far it does open doors of curiosity etc. But when matters are close to me such as all things Australian or my friends, gossip & innuendo is damaging. - in a similar case, it's no different to when peeps ask on SF the price, what is available etc. when they can just as easily contact the source
Too right.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I make no judgements. I don't know the particulars, obviously. Just seems a little strange to quit P Johnson after he just joined them. I guess I'm just surprised by this, that's all.
What are you surprised by? People move jobs. Well, some do, others stagnate in the same job for years......

Just because someone joins or leaves an organisation it's not necessarily a reflection on either the individual, or the firm.

FWIW, Ethan, though I've never personally met him, sounds like an easy-going guy with very good taste. I for one am pleased we still live in a world where such men are in high demand.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a shirtmaker in Melbourne (or Sydney at a push)?

I can't find anything from the usuals that fit me properly. I've got narrow shoulders, slim frame but quite long arms which means that any standard slim-fitting shirt I get is too short down the arms.

I'm happy to pay decent dollars for this, as I'm sure I've wasted thousands already on my ill-fitting efforts so far.

Cheers.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Can anyone recommend a shirtmaker in Melbourne (or Sydney at a push)?

I can't find anything from the usuals that fit me properly. I've got narrow shoulders, slim frame but quite long arms which means that any standard slim-fitting shirt I get is too short down the arms.

I'm happy to pay decent dollars for this, as I'm sure I've wasted thousands already on my ill-fitting efforts so far.

Cheers.

I realised late last year that nialma.com has someone based in Melbourne and they offer a personalised service. Meet you, show fabrics, take measurements etc. I don't think they promote it on the website but I was referred by a mate from Sydney. I dealt with a guy called Stuart. Very happy with the results. I know in Sydney there are a few tailors in an around the conservative business dress but could not tell you business names. Not overly expensive from memory, not cheap either.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessis
I realised late last year that nialma.com has someone based in Melbourne and they offer a personalised service. Meet you, show fabrics, take measurements etc. I don't think they promote it on the website but I was referred by a mate from Sydney. I dealt with a guy called Stuart. Very happy with the results.

I know in Sydney there are a few tailors in an around the conservative business dress but could not tell you business names. Not overly expensive from memory, not cheap either.

Sounds good, do you have contact details for him?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI
LUISA sale Sydney
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Friday 2nd June 2011 10am - 9pm
Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th June 2011 10am - 8pm
Monday 5th June 2011 10am - 4pm
Hilton Hotel
Level 4, 488 George St, Sydney

quar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
What are you surprised by? People move jobs. Well, some do, others stagnate in the same job for years......

Just because someone joins or leaves an organisation it's not necessarily a reflection on either the individual, or the firm.

FWIW, Ethan, though I've never personally met him, sounds like an easy-going guy with very good taste. I for one am pleased we still live in a world where such men are in high demand.

The original poster mentioning his curiousity about Ethan leaving P. Johnson after such a short period never implied that this reflected negatively on him or the guys at P. Johnson. And it is not because he left the organisation mentioned that has people curious, it is because he left after being there for only a short period of time. You are the one making broad assumptions, seeing as though you are making character judgements on a man you've never met.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
The original poster mentioning his curiousity about Ethan leaving P. Johnson after such a short period never implied that this reflected negatively on him or the guys at P. Johnson. And it is not because he left the organisation mentioned that has people curious, it is because he left after being there for only a short period of time. You are the one making broad assumptions, seeing as though you are making character judgements on a man you've never met.
Firstly, regardless of the intent of the OP on this point, it is inviting gossip based on nothing. Why bring it up? Seems to me it's possibly an attempted slight against P Johnson not being able to hold onto good staff. Certainly that would be in keeping with that poster's previous public feelings towards P Johnson.

Second, I don't have to have met Ethan to make a basic judgement about him (albeit one that explicity has this disclaimer); a person gives a lot of themselves away in their blog (the modern public diary), and through the good references of others. A man with poor taste generally won't have a tasteful blog, and vice versa. So I feel comfortable making this call on certain aspects of Ethan's character - namely that he has good taste and seems easy going. I don't think I'm drawing a long bow here - and would be interested to know if you would challenge my judgement.

Also, making a positive judgement about someone you've never met is not impolite as far as I'm concerned.

Finally, go take a powder.

ethandesu

Reaction score
Ha! Go take a powder - I love it.

To clear it up, I am making the move to Hong Kong because the chance for international exposure is too great, the guys at The Armoury are good friends I want to work with, and my wife and I figure this is the time to make the move - if we leave it any later, kids may come along and the opportunity mightn't still be around.
I made this decision with some sadness, and PJ and I are still working closely together. I'd love to see his product make it to Hong Kong some day, and I'll keep wearing it as much as I can.
As PG said though, this is my life. Nobody really needs to worry about it but me.

desu

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you surprised by? People move jobs. Well, some do, others stagnate in the same job for years...... Just because someone joins or leaves an organisation it's not necessarily a reflection on either the individual, or the firm. FWIW, Ethan, though I've never personally met him, sounds like an easy-going guy with very good taste. I for one am pleased we still live in a world where such men are in high demand.
Firstly, regardless of the intent of the OP on this point, it is inviting gossip based on nothing. Why bring it up? Seems to me it's possibly an attempted slight against P Johnson not being able to hold onto good staff. Certainly that would be in keeping with that poster's previous public feelings towards P Johnson. Second, I don't have to have met Ethan to make a basic judgement about him (albeit one that explicity has this disclaimer); a person gives a lot of themselves away in their blog (the modern public diary), and through the good references of others. A man with poor taste generally won't have a tasteful blog, and vice versa. So I feel comfortable making this call on certain aspects of Ethan's character - namely that he has good taste and seems easy going. I don't think I'm drawing a long bow here - and would be interested to know if you would challenge my judgement. Also, making a positive judgement about someone you've never met is not impolite as far as I'm concerned. Finally, go take a powder.
I never said anything negative against Ethan, nor did I spread or start any gossip about him. I simply expressed surprise at his move from P Johnson so soon after joining them. Of course, Ethan can do as he wishes with his life, professional or otherwise, and I never suggested otherwise. If you re-read my posts on the matter, I made no slight against anyone. Some of you need to calm down a little here. Go take a powder indeed. You might take your own advice!

psyc1030

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethandesu
Ha! Go take a powder - I love it.

To clear it up, I am making the move to Hong Kong because the chance for international exposure is too great, the guys at The Armoury are good friends I want to work with, and my wife and I figure this is the time to make the move - if we leave it any later, kids may come along and the opportunity mightn't still be around.
I made this decision with some sadness, and PJ and I are still working closely together. I'd love to see his product make it to Hong Kong some day, and I'll keep wearing it as much as I can.
As PG said though, this is my life. Nobody really needs to worry about it but me.

desu

THIS
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.