• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost the end of the camelhair season.
frown.gif

DSCF7281.jpg
DSCF7286.jpg

kilohotel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
We can see you hiding the price tag, and that you are obviously trying it on, and have never worn a suit before (you bottomed button). It's for show, not use.

yup I was trying it on, for my wifes approval via SMS. And yes, I buttoned both buttons.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket is disproportional for your torso shape. Buttons too low and waist patch pockets too small/anemic.
Originally Posted by niidawg3

thanks for echoing my thoughts more succintly ... lol.

Taking a hard look at it, I will have to agree with you gentleman. I really love the pattern of the material, and as such, I overlooked some of the details when I first saw it. I think the pockets are the biggest problem as they just look wrong to my eye.

Mike

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by londonchris
UPR_CRUST: Thanks for your helpful response. I appreciate the jacket and shirt combo is a bit much for most, and I would be unlikely to wear this exact pairing out. The response to Etro shirts is pretty fierce around here - it certainly seems that one avenue of style dominates.

Let's just say that there are definite style parameters around here, and that strong colours or patterns do excite the natives, and not always in a good way. If it is of any comfort, I get some of the same flack for the same reasons.

Originally Posted by Holdfast
Re: the french cuff/barrel cuff suggestions you've been getting, I wouldn't worry. You have a very baroque approach to dressing which naturally takes to french-cuff shirts and a lot of echoing/co-ordination of colours through the look, with little riffs of the day's theme throughout. I don't think anyone could ever say that you dress badly (occasional over-large suit aside, most of which you've whittled out of your wardrobe now), only that you have a hyper-ornate approach that conflicts with a minimalist/stealthy approach that is advocated by a lot of others and which is more in tune with current tastes. It is not a modern or sleek look by any means, but it is internally coherent and I suspect probably suits what you want to project about yourself.

If, on the other hand, you want to experiment with a sleeker/more modern/minimalist style, then go for it.

I never really thought of my style as hyper-ornate, though perhaps I am more Gianlorenzo Bernini rather than Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and yes, most of the definitely too-large suits have made their way to the charity shops (a few have been retained in case it is I who gets too large
facepalm.gif
). I occasionally tone it down a bit, but, as you noted, that's really not me.

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix;4191016

I am honored by the coincidence of shirt choice (yours and mine, today) - as always, you show us all how it should be done.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I call your MBreinin and raise you a w.o.e. is me
81d20bd2.jpg

Honest to god...I scrolled onto this and thought it was MB.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prince_030311_01.jpg
Prince_030311_02.jpg

Prince_030311_03.jpg

Jan_

Reaction score
Going back to photo basics with just one full-length pic, and one close-up. Might eliminate the close-up in future, too (open to persuasion on this either way)

Please don't. The details are definitely interesting. At least to me.

Originally Posted by Sotiris
Then the recruiter I'm meeting for lunch is also working from home and just told me to wear jeans.

It's a trap. Don't wear the suit, but don't wear jeans either.

Originally Posted by niidawg3
smile.gif
smile.gif
(jerk disclaimer)

You seem to be traumatized. Could Holdfast help you?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by kilohotel
And yes, I buttoned both buttons.

Don't do this with the bottom one.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Something about the shape is off. I think it might be the shape of the notch.

It seems a bit saggy.

Originally Posted by MBreinin
Taking a hard look at it, I will have to agree with you gentleman. I really love the pattern of the material, and as such, I overlooked some of the details when I first saw it. I think the pockets are the biggest problem as they just look wrong to my eye.

Mike

Spoo, that cloth is GORGEOUS. I think that Trini, Niidawg and Mike are right. Fixing the pockets would help, but there is something off about the buttoning point is a little off. I would also cuff the trousers and wear lower-key shoes--but that might not be you.

HF, the pale gray houndstooth suit is marvelous. The look is very O/O.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with all of you 100% on your critiques. I don't like the fit of the jacket at all. It was worse actually in it's first inception, so I had the fit tweaked a bit. The major problem is like you all said the pocket placement and the buttoning point. Over the summer it will go in for a major surgery, which also includes the addition of cuffs to the pants. I knew all these issues coming into the fit today, but it was likely the last time I could flex it for the season, so just wanted to get it on. The cloth btw, is 100% cashmere, so it feels like my ******* pajamas.
biggrin.gif

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

O/O = color and texture matching are, as always, impeccable and you are truly an inspiration on that front. The acutal fit though.....it just looks way too big through the mid-section of the suit. I understand not everyone is into the slim look (or even should be) but this just doesn't look like it fits right.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here comes Nii to %'s rescue in 5...4...3....

lol8[1].gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Spoo, i may joke about being called a jerk (traumatized), but i am not intellectually dishonest.

I have criticized the fit of oldog's suits many times. I finally stopped (much like i stop for others because it is his way, and my point is made)

Now in terms of his color coordination, it is almost always impeachable and he deserves every praise he gets for it.

I think i make that clear too
boxing[1].gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JKMWCL
O/O = color and texture matching are, as always, impeccable and you are truly an inspiration on that front. The acutal fit though.....it just looks way too big through the mid-section of the suit. I understand not everyone is into the slim look (or even should be) but this just doesn't look like it fits right.

Fred Astaire pics are bound to show up soon......

This is how % likes his clothes to fit. Nothing is going to change that. It is his personal style, and he adheres to it.

Mike

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call your MBreinin and raise you a w.o.e. is me
81d20bd2.jpg

fa187416.jpg

I don't love dem hoes I'm out the door..
bc0ef1fb.jpg

Shooz
24f8a4c0.jpg

Awesome color coordination and material. However, something about the pockets being so low throws it off for me. Have you had it shortened?

I love intensely patterned ties like this, but find them quite hard to work them into a coherent look. I am taking notes.
wink.gif

Like the sweater and jacket a lot. The trousers (from what we can see) seem a little jarring, colour/pattern-wise?

Nice stuff; you have zero'ed in on a style that's comfortable for you.

Flusser's suit is really fun. Big fan of it. Would prefer it with a vertically striped shirt, but hey, it's Flusser. His job is to be wacky/innovative.

Re: the french cuff/barrel cuff suggestions you've been getting, I wouldn't worry. You have a very baroque approach to dressing which naturally takes to french-cuff shirts and a lot of echoing/co-ordination of colours through the look, with little riffs of the day's theme throughout. I don't think anyone could ever say that you dress badly (occasional over-large suit aside, most of which you've whittled out of your wardrobe now), only that you have a hyper-ornate approach that conflicts with a minimalist/stealthy approach that is advocated by a lot of others and which is more in tune with current tastes. It is not a modern or sleek look by any means, but it is internally coherent and I suspect probably suits what you want to project about yourself.

If, on the other hand, you want to experiment with a sleeker/more modern/minimalist style, then go for it.

Assuming it's a lilac/lavender type of purple, as it seems from the photo, I find this a very versatile colour. They go well with light grey up to mid grey, and with almost any shade of blue from RAF-blue through to navy. Also good with whites, beiges and tan when summer comes knocking. Even minty greens co-ordinate with it. Just experiment with it; you'll probably find yourself surprised by all the colours that work with it. The ones that don't work tend to be dark earth tones - mid thru chocolate browns, dark greens, orange/reds/pinks of any hue, etc, etc.

Combining it with charcoal grey is also do-able, though I try to avoid it, because with my skin-tone, it can look a bit "muddy". You should be able to work it though.

I think it's because the lapel has a lot of curve/belly, which makes it seem that way. That's not to my taste either, but I love the colour/pattern.

Going back to photo basics with just one full-length pic, and one close-up. Might eliminate the close-up in future, too (open to persuasion on this either way). For one, I'm getting bored with editing photos; and secondly, you should be able to get the vibe of the look off of one photo anyway.

mar03004.jpg
[/SPOILER]

I think the color is too light for you. Maybe a darker sweater or a darker shirt would have elevated this ensemble.

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

[/SPOILER]

Magnificent!

Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Almost the end of the camelhair season.
frown.gif

DSCF7281.jpg
DSCF7286.jpg

You rock gray trousers like few do. Awesome.

Originally Posted by PandArts
Prince_030311_01.jpg
Prince_030311_02.jpg

Prince_030311_03.jpg
That tie... I'm in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them