• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean + Rogues Gallery = LL Bean Signature

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peter1
I've worn mine all winter here in NYC; when it's been that cold I wear silk liner socks under ragg wool socks, and I've been fine. The canvas is as waterproof as the leather. I can attest to that, having gone sledding about 10 times with my kids already. BUT, If I was going to be standing around in 20 deg weather for a long time I'd buy a pair of Sorels... I personally like the canvas, as I've said, but I don't LOVE them, mostly because the material doesn't offer any support.
Now that I've had the black leather I'll chime in and say I think I should have gone with canvas. The leather is too stiff and doesn't look as nice as the canvas I don't think. I do glove liners if I'm in the mountains but wearing sock liners is too hard core.

colins

Reaction score
I also can attest to the weather resistance of the canvas boots. The lack of support is a double edged sword because I'm sure the lightness of the upper will be nice in the spring rain.

verdict: recommended

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Also like this coat for a while

http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505928

I bought the 1947 Field Coat in the "Loden" color and when I first got it, I was unsure if I really liked the color. But after seeing the "Dark Clay" in person decided that I liked the "Loden" better and kept it. Since then (end of October), it's really grown on me and I'm happy with my decision.

My only complaint with the jacket is that the sleeves are unlined and the existing lining isn't as warm as I'd like. I would have really liked if it had an option to get the same linings as the field coat from the mainline - it would have made the coat that much more functional for me as I actually like to wear it when I work outside. But I've already gotten over it. I just now instinctively throw on another layer underneath if it's exceptionally cold out (or just wear a different jacket all together).

RangerP

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new pair of boat shoes but I've already had Sperry's and Sebago's with mixed results. I don't want to get anything too pricey because I destroy these shoes in the summer. What are your opinions on something like the Maine Standard Moc as a substitute: http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505905 Quality? Worth the money?

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your post makes no sense. You want "quality" but don't want to spend money because the low quality boat shoes you normally buy get destroyed.
ffffuuuu.gif

jessetk313

Reaction score
If anyone gets the crepe moc boot post some pics up. In some photos I have seen them from LL Bean shoots they look good and then their photos on the site make the bottom look odd.

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
What are the differences between the Plain Weave and the Traditional Twill suiting?

Well, more substantively-- I can spot a few, but they seem very similar. I'm thinking about picking up a navy blue cotton suit for the upcoming warm months. Aside from the price (there's like a 30 dollar difference) and a few major differences (three buttons versus two), what's the diff?

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
your post makes no sense. You want "quality" but don't want to spend money because the low quality boat shoes you normally buy get destroyed.

ffffuuuu.gif

People on this forum...sometimes...my god...

I never said I wanted quality. I want my money's worth.

I asked about the quality.

Maybe learn to read before posting.
ffffuuuu.gif

mummymix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peter1
I've worn mine all winter here in NYC; when it's been that cold I wear silk liner socks under ragg wool socks, and I've been fine. The canvas is as waterproof as the leather. I can attest to that, having gone sledding about 10 times with my kids already.

BUT, If I was going to be standing around in 20 deg weather for a long time I'd buy a pair of Sorels...

I personally like the canvas, as I've said, but I don't LOVE them, mostly because the material doesn't offer any support.

When you say it doesn't offer support, how do you mean? Like the stiffness of the material? Don't you find typical thick boot material hinders your fast-walking in NYC? I would imagine the canvas flexibility would help in that regard? Also, what color did you get and why? Which color would you recommend for dark jeans? I feel like the brown is the safer choice but something about the blue that makes it more unique... I just don't know.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
haha, anyone else see their spring catalog? they pulled a gap and hijacked the jcrew models for their shoot.

Matt44

Reaction score
Weird how an item can totally disappear from the site -- I was waiting for the corduroy jeans to go on sale (originally $69), but they vanished a few days ago. And it's not that they ran out of stock, my size was available in a few colors as of last week. Anyway, do they pull an item they plan to carry next F/W instead of putting it on sale now?

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had a bean gift certificate that i needed to use by the end of the month, and i ended up getting some regular ragg bean socks and the wool/cotton signature henley.

i was pleasantly surprised when i received the henley to find out it was manufactured in Canada.

the fact that the majority of this stuff is made in china is really disappointing, i think if it were cut a bit slimmer and made in the US it would really be great stuff.

the henley is pretty nice, i am pleased with it.

highkneez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt44
Weird how an item can totally disappear from the site -- I was waiting for the corduroy jeans to go on sale (originally $69), but they vanished a few days ago. And it's not that they ran out of stock, my size was available in a few colors as of last week. Anyway, do they pull an item they plan to carry next F/W instead of putting it on sale now?

I was checking out an item as well and it disappeared last week. I'm assuming they are making room for the s/s. Hopefully the f/w ends up in the sales section.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babeef