• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

thomas-30

Reaction score
I've the Klipsche S4i for my iphone 4, it sounds great, and better than my Vmoda vibe duo which are brittle

(sry for my bad english I'm french)

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
I'm leaning towards Paradigm bookshelf speakers like the Monitor or Studio series, as Paradigm's apparently produce pretty good bass without subs. I'll add a sub sometime down the road. But I don't know if these would go well with the Cambridge amp. I've basically looked at standalone reviews of each component but don't know if they're average, good, or great in compatibility.

Teach me the way, audiophiles.

Do look up your local dealer for PSB and audition the Image or the Imagine series. Don't worry about the technical aspects, just trust your ears and audition audition audition.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
I'd love some suggestions on the beginner 2-channel audiophile system I'm planning for my living room in a 1b/1b apartment. Budget of $1000-1500. I'll be listening to a lot of classical, and then anything from Alice in Chains to the Beatles. I'm not a Jazz guy. I'd prefer to buy used to get more bang for my buck, and right now I'm sold on an Integrated Amp and CD player from Cambridge Audio, like the 650A/650C or similar generations. Cambridge has awesome reviews and I'm just head over heels in love with the looks of the silver components. But my real question is which speakers to buy, and if there's a layman's way to determine how well an Integrated Amp matches a set of speakers? Like, what technical specs of an Amp/Speaker am I trying to line up to get the most efficiency and quality from the setup? I'm leaning towards Paradigm bookshelf speakers like the Monitor or Studio series, as Paradigm's apparently produce pretty good bass without subs. I'll add a sub sometime down the road. But I don't know if these would go well with the Cambridge amp. I've basically looked at standalone reviews of each component but don't know if they're average, good, or great in compatibility. Teach me the way, audiophiles.
I would look at a Peachtree Audio iDecco and add in for now a good pair of bookshelf speakers such as PSB, Paradigm, Epos, or newer Polks. Later on, upgrade to some high efficiency ZU speakers which can be driven well by this integrated amp.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F I'm lookin for something to listen to in the kitchen. Needs an iPod dock and I've waded through too many 'reviews' on the net to arrive at somthing- need pro advice. Budget for around $300-$400. Suggestions?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have:

Random Pioneer A/V reciever
Snell e/iiis

I want:
Keep reciever as control center + main channel pre-amp/other channel amp
Quality vintage main channel amp w/VU meters
EQ with graphic display
Custom main channel speakers w/separate connections for built in subs (maybe built in sub amps???)

Really I just like a certain kind of old school look w/a lot of unnecessary metering. I've also always wanted to build custom speaker towers, just never had the means.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Analog metering is coming back...of course it never went out of style at McIntosh. Check out the Luxman gear. The importer is a friend and regularly has one of the best souning systems at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Of course, tubes look even better than VU meters.
smile.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Does anyone know about this old brand "Audio Engineered Sound?" They were my grandfather's office speakers, and they're really basic. Cased in particle board. I love the sound from these but can't find anything on-line.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I would look at a Peachtree Audio iDecco and add in for now a good pair of bookshelf speakers such as PSB, Paradigm, Epos, or newer Polks. Later on, upgrade to some high efficiency ZU speakers which can be driven well by this integrated amp.

I bought PSB Image 2Bs about 10 years ago, and I still marvel at their clear sound and (yes) ability to produce bass....

Funny you should mention ZU, AF -- been thinking for a few months now about upgrading:

Zu-Soul-Plain.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Zu is a good company and I like the guys running it. The new Essence and Soul are great.

However, if you decide to spend as much as $2K, you should check out the Magnepan 1.7s. A real steal imho.

riverrun

Reaction score
Anyone have / heard any of the classic rams designed braun equipment...sk6, sk55, etc.

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
Yeah, some of that Dieter Rams stuff (especially the consoles, forget the models) is gorgeous. I've never heard any of it though, or heard how it sounds.

I actually just picked up some Harman Kardon 775 monoblocks and a Nakamichi 610 preamp for my Yamaha NS-1000s. Extremely composed amplifiers, even if I can't figure out how to properly set the gain on this ridiculous Nakamichi contraption.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the Cambridge Soundworks 720 & i525? They both come with iPod docks. I'm looking for a new alarm clock

riverrun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Great design, mediocre sound quality.

Mediocre, like it doesn't touch a hi fi geek's mega $ setup, or mediocre like I can do way better for a whole set up for a similar price (1-1.5k or whatever sk6s go for)?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_scottyo