What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. thomas-30

thomas-30 New Member

I've the Klipsche S4i for my iphone 4, it sounds great, and better than my Vmoda vibe duo which are brittle

(sry for my bad english I'm french)

2. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

I'm leaning towards Paradigm bookshelf speakers like the Monitor or Studio series, as Paradigm's apparently produce pretty good bass without subs. I'll add a sub sometime down the road. But I don't know if these would go well with the Cambridge amp. I've basically looked at standalone reviews of each component but don't know if they're average, good, or great in compatibility.

Teach me the way, audiophiles.

Do look up your local dealer for PSB and audition the Image or the Imagine series. Don't worry about the technical aspects, just trust your ears and audition audition audition.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I'd love some suggestions on the beginner 2-channel audiophile system I'm planning for my living room in a 1b/1b apartment. Budget of $1000-1500. I'll be listening to a lot of classical, and then anything from Alice in Chains to the Beatles. I'm not a Jazz guy. I'd prefer to buy used to get more bang for my buck, and right now I'm sold on an Integrated Amp and CD player from Cambridge Audio, like the 650A/650C or similar generations. Cambridge has awesome reviews and I'm just head over heels in love with the looks of the silver components. But my real question is which speakers to buy, and if there's a layman's way to determine how well an Integrated Amp matches a set of speakers? Like, what technical specs of an Amp/Speaker am I trying to line up to get the most efficiency and quality from the setup? I'm leaning towards Paradigm bookshelf speakers like the Monitor or Studio series, as Paradigm's apparently produce pretty good bass without subs. I'll add a sub sometime down the road. But I don't know if these would go well with the Cambridge amp. I've basically looked at standalone reviews of each component but don't know if they're average, good, or great in compatibility. Teach me the way, audiophiles.
    I would look at a Peachtree Audio iDecco and add in for now a good pair of bookshelf speakers such as PSB, Paradigm, Epos, or newer Polks. Later on, upgrade to some high efficiency ZU speakers which can be driven well by this integrated amp.

4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

F I'm lookin for something to listen to in the kitchen. Needs an iPod dock and I've waded through too many 'reviews' on the net to arrive at somthing- need pro advice. Budget for around $300-$400. Suggestions?

5. Artisan Fan

AF I'm lookin for something to listen to in the kitchen. Needs an iPod dock and I've waded through too many 'reviews' on the net to arrive at somthing- need pro advice. Budget for around $300-$400. Suggestions?

Try this:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I have:

Random Pioneer A/V reciever
    Snell e/iiis

I want:
    Keep reciever as control center + main channel pre-amp/other channel amp
    Quality vintage main channel amp w/VU meters
    EQ with graphic display
    Custom main channel speakers w/separate connections for built in subs (maybe built in sub amps???)

Really I just like a certain kind of old school look w/a lot of unnecessary metering. I've also always wanted to build custom speaker towers, just never had the means.

7. Artisan Fan

Analog metering is coming back...of course it never went out of style at McIntosh. Check out the Luxman gear. The importer is a friend and regularly has one of the best souning systems at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Of course, tubes look even better than VU meters. [​IMG]

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Does anyone know about this old brand "Audio Engineered Sound?" They were my grandfather's office speakers, and they're really basic. Cased in particle board. I love the sound from these but can't find anything on-line.

9. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

I would look at a Peachtree Audio iDecco and add in for now a good pair of bookshelf speakers such as PSB, Paradigm, Epos, or newer Polks. Later on, upgrade to some high efficiency ZU speakers which can be driven well by this integrated amp.

I bought PSB Image 2Bs about 10 years ago, and I still marvel at their clear sound and (yes) ability to produce bass....

Funny you should mention ZU, AF -- been thinking for a few months now about upgrading:

[​IMG]

10. Artisan Fan

Zu is a good company and I like the guys running it. The new Essence and Soul are great.

However, if you decide to spend as much as $2K, you should check out the Magnepan 1.7s. A real steal imho.

11. riverrun

riverrun Senior member

Anyone have / heard any of the classic rams designed braun equipment...sk6, sk55, etc.

12. Andrewc2232

Andrewc2232 Senior member

Yeah, some of that Dieter Rams stuff (especially the consoles, forget the models) is gorgeous. I've never heard any of it though, or heard how it sounds.

I actually just picked up some Harman Kardon 775 monoblocks and a Nakamichi 610 preamp for my Yamaha NS-1000s. Extremely composed amplifiers, even if I can't figure out how to properly set the gain on this ridiculous Nakamichi contraption.

13. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Anyone know the difference between the Cambridge Soundworks 720 & i525? They both come with iPod docks. I'm looking for a new alarm clock

14. Artisan Fan

Anyone have / heard any of the classic rams designed braun equipment...sk6, sk55, etc.

Great design, mediocre sound quality.

15. riverrun

riverrun Senior member

Great design, mediocre sound quality.

Mediocre, like it doesn't touch a hi fi geek's mega $ setup, or mediocre like I can do way better for a whole set up for a similar price (1-1.5k or whatever sk6s go for)?