What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

[​IMG]

Are those AR3s or Dynaco's?

2. ad_infinitum

ad_infinitum Senior member

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG] Entry level table? Do tell...

Audiophilia

4. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I don't know if this is slightly unrelated but what's a good pair of cheap computer speakers? Probably for less than $50.

5. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

Any thoughts on the McIntosh MC6300 integrated amp? It's their entry level model, $4k retail. That's about the top of my price point for the integrated amp component of a new 2-channel system I want, but I don't know whether at that price there's good value there. Looking at B&W CM7 speakers.

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Any thoughts on the McIntosh MC6300 integrated amp? It's their entry level model, $4k retail. That's about the top of my price point for the integrated amp component of a new 2-channel system I want, but I don't know whether at that price there's good value there. Looking at B&W CM7 speakers.

It's pretty good based on my listening. The McIntosh gear tends to hold its value well too.

Been listening to my new Lyra Argoi. What a smooth sounding and detailed cartridge. Very, very musical. I've been playing all my records to hear all the detail I was missing with my Grado.

7. Artisan Fan

Well friends, I finally got to spend some quality time with this cartridge over the weekend and am genuinely enjoying it. It's taken my analog rig to another level in sound quality.

I think what I like most about the cart is how accurate it is on instrument timbre. String instruments simply sound like they do in real life. This makes for a more satisfying listening session with jazz and classical records and well classic rock as well. Electric and acoustic guitar are so natural and smooth sounding.

A close second is level of resolution. No surprise to many that this is more detailed a cart than my Grado Sonata but it is so much so that I am just pulling out old favorites all night to hear the LPs again for more detail and more information buried in the grooves. If there are massed vocals for instance it just unravels the separate vocals. And it does all this while remaining musical.

Third on the list is the separation of instruments. Really pinpoint musician placement is really nice, especially on orchestral and small ensemble music (jazz and classical).

My reference LPs nowadays are really two - Neil Young at Massey Hall and the Doors live at the Felt Forum, a direct to disc by Bruce Botnick. Both of these sound incredible. Massey Hall is one of the best live recordings I have heard although I still have a soft spot for Van Morrison's Too Late to Stop Now.

So really this is a bit of a rave, but if this sonic profile extends across the Lyra line (and I believe it does) then I would encourage you to look at this line if the price range works for you.

I will post some pictures of the cart on the JMW 9 in the next couple of days.

8. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Great post, AP. Plz check PM.

Cheers, a

9. azm

azm Member

Linn sondek lp12
    Mcintosh c46
    Mcintosh mc402
    Anthony gallo reference nucleus 3.5

10. Artisan Fan

Linn sondek lp12
    Mcintosh c46
    Mcintosh mc402
    Anthony gallo reference nucleus 3.5

The Gallo Reference are some of the best speakers out there. Just amazing sound quality. I can only imagine your rig sounds quite fine.

11. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

Recently bought a new rig for both music and movies. My setup cost probably 1/10 or less of many here, but it is my first foray into high quality audio, and the listening experience so far has been amazing.

Speakers: Energy Rc-30. Love these so far.
    Integrated Amp: Onkyo 608. Sweet. Bought it over comparable Denon, Pioneer models because the amp and the DAC seem to be better.
    Sources: Macbook through digital out, CD's through Panasonic Blu ray HDMI.

Am I short-changing myself using a blu ray player as a CD player? My thinking is that since the output is digital, the source should not matter too much. Is this correct?

12. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I keep it simple Have a TiVoli Sirius radio unit. Then a logitech dock for my ipod. I probably would get something nicer but my apartment is small and I don't crank the volume too high.

13. Stedye

Stedye Senior member

Bang & Olusen all in one unit (CD player ,Radio) for Living Room.
    Bose CD Wave system in Bedroom.
    Mirage Speakers and Mirage subwoofer with Plasma TV.

14. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Mac Mini (Apple Lossless) via WiFi to;
    Airport Express via optical input to;
    Meridian F80 (also for CD/DVD).

15. horndog

horndog Senior member

I'd love some suggestions on the beginner 2-channel audiophile system I'm planning for my living room in a 1b/1b apartment. Budget of $1000-1500. I'll be listening to a lot of classical, and then anything from Alice in Chains to the Beatles. I'm not a Jazz guy.

I'd prefer to buy used to get more bang for my buck, and right now I'm sold on an Integrated Amp and CD player from Cambridge Audio, like the 650A/650C or similar generations. Cambridge has awesome reviews and I'm just head over heels in love with the looks of the silver components.

But my real question is which speakers to buy, and if there's a layman's way to determine how well an Integrated Amp matches a set of speakers? Like, what technical specs of an Amp/Speaker am I trying to line up to get the most efficiency and quality from the setup?

I'm leaning towards Paradigm bookshelf speakers like the Monitor or Studio series, as Paradigm's apparently produce pretty good bass without subs. I'll add a sub sometime down the road. But I don't know if these would go well with the Cambridge amp. I've basically looked at standalone reviews of each component but don't know if they're average, good, or great in compatibility.

Teach me the way, audiophiles.