• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesser Known/Independent/Underground Rappers

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In light of the GOAT thread, I'm interested in seeing some smaller rappers that are worth listening to. They don't have to be really good, or even particularly underground. If they've got a song or two that is worth listening to and the rest sucks, then just specify the song.

To start:

Atmosphere: I realize that they're hardly unknown, but they are independent. Also, Sunshine might be the best feel good rap in existence.

Deltron 3030: I like most of Deltron 3030, but 3030 and Time Keeps on Slipping are some of my favorites at the moment. Mastermind is accessible too.

Cyne: listen to it all

Binary Star: Honest Expression, Reality Check, K.G.B., etc. I haven't found a song that I avoid.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atmosphere is one guy. Who sucks.

EDIT: Ha, I'm wrong. Ant is the rapper, but Atmosphere is a duo. They still suck.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Green

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Shad still count? Most people I know don't know who he is.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mf doom
Aceylone
J Dilla
Blueprint is occasionally good
Jake One's latest album had some really good production, that's about it.
Beatnuts

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foreign beggers
madlib
roots manuva
7L and esoteric
Ty
souls of mischief
Que-D
Phat Kat
percee p
aloe blacc

phildo

Reaction score
El-P/Company Flow, **** any haters

Get Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus and Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octangonycologist, those records basically started the indie rap movement

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dr Octogon and Kid Cudi? Really? Lesser Known? Maybe on the mainstream MTV kinda circuit sure, but I feel that anyone who is really into hiphop/rap beyond the radio has heard of these two (esp Cudi)

Also
Shing02,
Substantial

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waka Floka Flame.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been very impressed with Supernatural's flow, and not only freestyling. It's a shame he never really got his big break beyond battles and silly best freestyler and world record pursuits. His stuff on Assassin's record in 1996 blew me away - I was playing the tape and the stuff he did on Cut Killer's mix tapes in a loop in my car.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt