• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problems with Kent Wang squares - solutions?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope none of you are serious about the velcro, cardboard, tape, or stitching. You should be able to get satisfactory folds without such implements.
Originally Posted by enarchay
As far as I know, that's the Presidential Fold--not the TV fold.
How is the end result (how the square appears sticking out of your pocket) different? These instructions are from the AAAC thread you started:
tvfold.gif
In step 3, the height of the folded square should be longer than your pocket. I usually have to fold in the tip (the triangular part) a bit so it'll fit in there. But if for some reason your pocket is actually deeper (longer) than this, you could start step 1 by not folding it in half, say one-third instead. The TV/presidential fold is quite simple, so you should have a plethora of alternatives to make any size square fit into any size pocket.
What if you like the aesthetic of the rolled puff fold (a particular method of folding)? You just can't do it?
How does the rolled puff look any different than the "pinched puff" method that I suggested? Could you not achieve the same by pinching, then rolling slightly?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was serious about the little stitch - if that's a chronic issue and it gets on the OP's nerves

enarchay

Reaction score
How is the end result (how the square appears sticking out of your pocket) different?
The TV-fold produces a thicker and more textured look. You can actually see where the square has been folded (the layers). By contrast, the Presidential Fold is thinner and much cleaner looking. That's why there are separate names for each folding style. One might have reasons (e.g. aesthetic/context) for preferring one folding style over the other.

The point I'm trying to get at is this: why do people prefer the smaller dimensions when you have to make all of these compromises to bring about the various folds? It doesn't make sense to me. I hear the mantra "it produces less bulge" but I'd rather have slight bulge if it means that the square stays in place. And, furthermore, I haven't noticed any significant bulge with my other squares in the first place.

I apologize if I'm being very picky here.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
TV Fold:

1. Using the cardboard to help keep the square in place.

^

Ugh, don't you care about comfort? I would never put cardboard in my breastpocket.

I have a concrete mixer at home to fix that kind of problems.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
This is what former Mens Clothing Forvm member iammatt does.

Former Mens Clothing Forvm member TC Houston did the same thing, but he dispensed with the square altogether and only used the index card.

Well done.

- B

Bastard.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I use small strong magnets to hold my square in place. Works every time.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The point I'm trying to get at is this: why do people prefer the smaller dimensions when you have to make all of these compromises to bring about the various folds? It doesn't make sense to me. I hear the mantra "it produces less bulge" but I'd rather have slight bulge if it means that the square stays in place. And, furthermore, I haven't noticed any significant bulge with my other squares in the first place.
If you follow my above instructions for folding the TV fold, you will find that it is perfect, stays up, and does not leave a bulge. It is not a compromise. The real compromise is having an excessively large square that stays up but leaves an unsightly bulge. Extensive testing has shown this to be the ideal size. If you still disagree, please return them for a full refund, or I can make you a custom sized square at only $10 extra. I think you will find that this price is still competitive with other makers.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Kent Wang's squares are a good size. I don't like it when there's a huge bulge in my... breast pocket.
wink.gif

On another note, I bought some brooks brothers linen handkerchiefs (as they're called on the box) and they're 18x18. Are they just meant to be used as hankerchiefs? It's kinda big for a PS.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
If you follow my above instructions for folding the TV fold, you will find that it is perfect, stays up, and does not leave a bulge. It is not a compromise.
But it's not the TV-fold; it's the Presidential Fold. Hence, in using the smaller pocket square, I'm limited from using at least one folding style.
The real compromise is having an excessively large square that stays up but leaves an unsightly bulge.
But I haven't ever really noticed any unsightly bulge, personally.
Extensive testing has shown this to be the ideal size. If you still disagree, please return them for a full refund, or I can make you a custom sized square at only $10 extra. I think you will find that this price is still competitive with other makers.
I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the offer. Again, I apologize if I'm appearing difficult or something. Given the popularity of the squares, I want to learn to like them, but I might be better off trying for a bigger size.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But it's not the TV-fold; it's the Presidential Fold. Hence, in using the smaller pocket square, I'm limited from using at least one folding style.
This isn't a TV fold?
tvfold.gif
In step 3, the height of the folded square should be longer than your pocket. I usually have to fold in the tip (the triangular part) a bit so it'll fit in there. But if for some reason your pocket is actually deeper (longer) than this, you could start step 1 by not folding it in half, say one-third instead.

SlamMan

Reaction score
I have a lot of KW pocket squares and a lot of pocket squares in general. The size that the KW squares come in are definitely the best and my favorite all around size for any fold. Bigger squares are good for puffs but suck for TV folds.

The rolled edges on Kent's squares are so freaking money.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Just grab it by the middle and pile it into your pocket.

If you insist on "folding" it, stuff a bit of tissue into the bottom of your pocket to make the pocket more shallow. I found that one day my PS was sitting up much more easily than usual. I discovered I had packed it in on top of another one I had worn a few days ago and had left it in the jacket accidentally. It worked and actually looked fine.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babeef