• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

overrated foods/dishes

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Foie gras.

I suck, Pio

FTFY. And btw, total fail.

I have to agree with lobster. While I like it when prepared well, it is the default dish poor people equate with affluence and class. This is why it's over rated.

imschatz

Reaction score
Seafood in general. Not because I don't like seafood (nothing beats fish & chips @ the beach on a hot sunday), but because everyone is SO polarized. There is no "meh" when it comes to seafood. You either love it, or hate it.

When it comes to lobster, I don't understand the "fine dining" aspect. There is nothing fine about lobster. It is ugly, it doesn't taste particularily great (unless you drench it in butter), it is practically an ocean rat, and it is messy. I prefer my lobster like I prefer my hamburger. Eaten by hand, on the deck, with some friends. Never will I go out to a restaraunt and spend $20+ on a lobster.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love good tomatoes. I grow my own and have control over all the **** I add so they come out sweet and tasty every time, good enough to eat by themselves. That said, most tomatoes that you can get at the grocery are ****. Often they are refridgerated (big no no), come from a hot house, and are mealy and flavorless.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned steak yet? Well... steak is at the apex of the overrated food spectrum

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Whoever said Philly cheesesteaks... right on. Especially traditional style with "American" cheese. A pathetic mess of a sandwich with ingredients that taste subpar or simply artificial. Yuck.

I'll add clams. And I live in Boston.

Raw? Can't measure up to even a second-rate oyster. Fried whole-belly? Sorry, but cladding clams in greasy breading and topping with gobs of tartar sauce do not make them any better. Chowder? Admittedly, bacon, celery, cream and potatoes do lively up the lowly bivalve, but the flavor is only marginally clammy. Clamato? Don't think so. The minerally qualities just taste metallic.

One more Boston favorite (sorta) that leaves me baffled: Guinness beer. I'm much more of a wine drinker, but I do enjoy the occasional brew. Guinness certainly brings a tiny bit of malty flavor that the mass-market swill doesn't have, but the overall quality is what the wine world might call "flabby". Simply put, there's insufficient acid to balance it out. It's soft, structureless, with a bland mouth feel that doesn't invite another sip. And unless it's served at near room temp (which is advisable), there is almost no flavor whatsoever (vanishingly faint tastes of roasted coffee - at best - and just a touch of malty-ness on the nose). Tasted blind, I think I might mistake it for being flat. I'm more than willing to be schooled on this one.

Let me just add my surprise that truffles (real ones), foie gras, and tomatoes make this list! Really??? What's next... asparagus? Marrow? Butter? Fresh field peas? Bacon? Olive oil? Balsamico? Chocolate?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio
Whoever said Philly cheesesteaks... right on. Especially traditional style with "American" cheese. A pathetic mess of a sandwich with ingredients that taste subpar or simply artificial. Yuck.

Raw? Can't measure up to even a second-rate oyster. Fried whole-belly? Sorry, but cladding clams in greasy breading and topping with gobs of tartar sauce do not make them any better. Chowder? Admittedly, bacon, celery, cream and potatoes do lively up the lowly bivalve, but the flavor is only marginally clammy. Clamato? Don't think so. The minerally qualities just taste metallic.

Truffles (real ones), foie gras, and tomatoes make this list? Really??? What's next... asparagus? Marrow? Butter? Fresh field peas? Bacon? Olive oil? Balsamico? Chocolate?

Tell us how you really feel.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio

Truffles (real ones), foie gras, and tomatoes make this list? Really??? What's next... asparagus? Marrow? Butter? Fresh field peas? Bacon? Olive oil? Balsamico? Chocolate?

I find a cheesesteak to be a solid replacement for a cheeseburger at a fancier restaraunt. Good comfort food.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Has anyone mentioned steak yet? Well... steak is at the apex of the overrated food spectrum

yeah, I agree with you partyway - steak isn't my go to food for celebrations, I eat maybe 6 a year for work. I could be happy with 2 a year.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I have to agree with lobster. While I like it when prepared well, it is the default dish poor people equate with affluence and class. This is why it's over rated.

my daughters have become obsessed with eating at red lobster, I believe that they must have heard a story at pre-school or something. they keep talking about red lobster as a resteraunt that they want to go to. so, on a road trip last week, we went. first time for my wife, second time for me. it was intersting watching the people - basically very simple people on a special occasion out. I found it fascinating.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I find a cheesesteak to be a solid replacement for a cheeseburger at a fancier restaraunt. Good comfort food.

Huh? What kind of "fancy" restaurants are you going to that replace cheeseburgers with cheesesteaks when they want to go upmarket?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that truffles and truffle oil (no relation) are both overrated...but still delicious.

Allow me to add:

All Americanized Thai food
fresh pasta
shrimp tails (the heads are fantastic)
filet mignon
mahi-mahi (there is no more borig fish)
jamon serrano (jamon iberico is one of the best reasons to live)

aizan

Reaction score
bacon, pork belly
gourmet salts
wagyu
heirloom tomatoes
matsutake mushrooms

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
uhoh.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I agree that truffles and truffle oil (no relation) are both overrated...but still delicious.

Allow me to add:

All Americanized Thai food
fresh pasta
filet mignon
mahi-mahi (there is no more borig fish)
jamon serrano (jamon iberico is one of the best reasons to live)

Fresh pasta? Really?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member