• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

massive kitchen + superbly talented chef ... what would you bring him to cook?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
you're right, of course. i was carried away on a flight of rhetorical excess. i was thinking of one particularly popular style of cooking, one that i normally prefer when eating out and one that i always prefer when i'm cooking. i have no problem expending time or energy in the kitchen, but it has to be spent doing something that i think will make an appreciable difference in the dish. i have nothing against spending an hour studding a leg of lamb with garlic, rosemary and anchovies ... the flavor benefit to me is worth it. trimming turnips into footballs ... not so much.

Well, this took me all of 34 seconds (had the wife time, she thinks I have now gotten in the internet's dumbest debate)... not perfect, but 7 sides, the correct shape and all...

photo14q.jpg

photo15u.jpg

I normally don't turn vegetables other than mini turnips, mainly because I find that it is quicker to turn them than to peel them nicely and keep them in the round. Of course, zucchini, apples etc are turned differently, just to soften the sides, and I always do that. I wouldn't know how not to. It is ingrained.

I do agree that it is not worth wasting time doing, but if you spent some months of your life turning carrots, zucchini, turnips and apples, and tying green beans into parcels with blanched chives, well I don't tie green beans anymore.

Now, please explain how you stud a leg of lamb with anchovies. That is one of my favorite combos, but I am having difficulty with the mechanics of it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, this took me all of 34 seconds (had the wife time, she thinks I have now gotten in the internet's dumbest debate)... not perfect, but 7 sides, the correct shape and all...

It's okay, she probably thinks that a lot.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
she thinks I have now gotten in the internet's dumbest debate

This is impossible so long as I am still around.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, please explain how you stud a leg of lamb with anchovies. That is one of my favorite combos, but I am having difficulty with the mechanics of it.

very impressive tourne. you'll make someone a sweet little commis someday.
lamb with garlic, anchovies and rosemary: you can use either a boned or bone-in leg. Use a paring knife to cut deep slots into the meat at regular intervals. Slip in a scrap of salted anchovy (soaked), a generous sliver of garlic and then a few leaves of rosemary. This may seem hard at first; if you need to, don't be afraid to stick your finger in the slot to loosen it up (ahem). The final effect will look something like a 1980s hair transplant, with little tufts of rosemary sticking up at regular intervals. Salt the outside liberally and rub with olive oil. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. roast or grill the lamb as you normally would.
NB: i prefer my leg of lamb to be slightly on the medium side of medium-rare ... 130 to 135 degrees. i know there is a fashion for lamb served rare, but i think this is barbaric for the leg, which is full of connective tissue and very stringy at that doneness. Push it to 130 and it will still be definitely pink and juicy, but the meat will have firmed and some of the connective tissue will have started to soften enough that you don't get fibers stuck between your teeth. racks, are another matter. though i fear we're heading for DT territory here.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Shall we debate this?

If you disagree with me, you support terror.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this took me all of 34 seconds (had the wife time, she thinks I have now gotten in the internet's dumbest debate)...
does your wife do the time often? with a stopwatch? is 34 seconds a record?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
If you disagree with me, you support terror.

they hate us for our tourne.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I am running late for work, I can turn it out in under 15... I think.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
as home cooks, without a back staff of one-nutted minions to see to our needs,

very impressive tourne. you'll make someone a sweet little commis someday.

they hate us for our tourne.

laugh.gif
You are on it today. Still haven't taken that ike jime brainstorm to copy yet, huh?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
laugh.gif
You are on it today. Still haven't taken that ike jime brainstorm to copy yet, huh?

i am desperately avoiding writing two recipes for my 25th fourth of july grilling issue. it's a very special anniversary.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
i am desperately avoiding writing two recipes for my 25th fourth of july grilling issue. it's a very special anniversary.

Guest writer's spot, Kyle Wilkinson baby. This could be my big break.
inlove.gif
Big risk, big reward buddy.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could be the glenn davis of the food writing world.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
normanlawrence