• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veefy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
Hey; I saw footage of Andy Forrest dressed very nicely even when he was out on the mines! When I met him at a school function; he seemed to be in full bespoke (complete with spalla camicia) but typically in rm williams!. In short: Bespoke open-weave single breasted suit, RMW Craftsman's (co-incidentally I was wearing the same), 18kYG rolex president, Bespoke Shirt that looked like a T&A funnily enough!

Andy used to be a stockbroker/financial type before he turned mining magnate.

I remember a story a relative of mine told me about Robert Champion de Crespigny (chairman of Normandy Mining a few years back) that he had a very fancy pair of bespoke safety boots in their own special travel case when he went on site. He used to be an accountant before he turned mining chairman. So the mining leaders with a financial background pedigree are more likely to be well dressed.

Mind you what with the campaign against the super profit tax thing at present its probably not a great idea for the captains of industry to be appearing on the news publicly looking too expensively dressed...

mrbig

Reaction score
I dunno....in times of uncertainty, I'd want my directors and staff to look as good as they can to keep confidence up; but seriously, its a big IF that Kev wins. Speaking of PM's; Keating wore Zegna in the worst of times, and in, to be honest, the times when the EU is just about to get flushed down the toilet; David Cameron is in Richard James. So...food for thought?

I have a few stories about Andy i've heard through my teachers at school...hehehe seemed like a nice enough guy; if only he could out-run the Anaconda slight mis-hap.

Veefy

Reaction score
I dunno....in times of uncertainty, I'd want my directors and staff to look as good as they can to keep confidence up; but seriously, its a big IF that Kev wins. Speaking of PM's; Keating wore Zegna in the worst of times, and in, to be honest, the times when the EU is just about to get flushed down the toilet; David Cameron is in Richard James. So...food for thought?

I have a few stories about Andy i've heard through my teachers at school...hehehe seemed like a nice enough guy; if only he could out-run the Anaconda slight mis-hap.

Well one problem the mining guys have is that there is a bit of a perception that the main reason they are complaining is that because it directly affects their pay and performance bonuses and they won't be able to afford a new Bentley this year. Certainly Rudd is doing his best to paint Abott and Co as being on the side of the big wealthy mining millionaires whose time in the sun is coming to an end
laugh.gif

Andy is probably one of the better spokesmen out there, not sure that Clive Palmer does much good calling Wayne Swan names (even if its personally amusing to me, in trying to sway the public image on the industry
smile.gif

Though I agree on the presentation aspect. Now that Keating has gone, I can't think of a single Australian politician who has any resemblance of sartorial air....

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kevin will win and win fairly convincingly I would think, despite his recent downturn in the polls. Governments almost always get a second term, he did well during the global financial crisis (despite other policies going awry) and Tony Abbott seems incapable of providing the kind of alternative that the public are looking for. Come election day, Kev will win and win fairly comfortably I'd say.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Is it just me or is the standard of dress in this country getting just that little bit better? Perhaps it's the seasonal thing where people are more interested in looking good during the cooler months, rather than focussing on comfort and 'fitting in' with the unwashed masses? Or perhaps it is the unabashed influence of the Australian Styleforum contingent?

I've noticed particularly that the proliferation of better quality shoes has increased, from 0.001% of the male population, to about 0.005%... maybe it's the strong Aussie battler?

What are you guys seeing - are Aussie men on the whole better dressed lately? I don't know about Campbelltown but in the city centre I think it's the case.

Actually I was just thinking this the other day in Canberra of all places, land of the very poorly dressed public service. I must have seen around 10 well dressed guys after work on a Friday in the city, which is a huge rarity.

One of the advantages of Canberra I guess is we have an actual winter here not like Sydney, which just gets mild to cool temps throughout this time of the year (yet everyone wears scarves when it drops below 15....)

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Kevin will win and win fairly convincingly I would think, despite his recent downturn in the polls. Governments almost always get a second term, he did well during the global financial crisis (despite other policies going awry) and Tony Abbott seems incapable of providing the current of alternative that the public are looking for. Come election day, Kev will win and win fairly comfortably I'd say.

Yes I think while Abbot is the libs leader, Kev would have to do something really disastrous to not get elected again.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Howard PMs (and aspiring PMs) have worn Anthony Squires suits. There was talk a few years ago when Costello got measured up for a AS suit that perhaps he was finally about to challenge for the leadership, but alas nothing came of it (apart from another boxy suit).

fcral1

Reaction score
Did anyone see the add for "Bespoke Tailors of Hong Kong" in the Age today? My interest was peaked at their student deal of 2 shirt, 2 suit for $780. Whilst clearly not bespoke it's pretty darn cheap, and generally tailors that can afford international travel to their clients must be semi-decent...?

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these guys. They were here apparently in 2008, and they took out an identical add in 2008 http://smh.realviewtechnologies.com/...ge=page0000015

Was curious if someone had prior experience with them.

They are in Sydney on 07-09 June at the InterContinental and 10-12 June at Crown Towers.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Actually I was just thinking this the other day in Canberra of all places, land of the very poorly dressed public service. I must have seen around 10 well dressed guys after work on a Friday in the city, which is a huge rarity.

One of the advantages of Canberra I guess is we have an actual winter here not like Sydney, which just gets mild to cool temps throughout this time of the year (yet everyone wears scarves when it drops below 15....)

Yeah Sydneysiders are soft. I kind of wish we had a Canberra-style winter, then I would have cause to buy a pair of edmorel's cashmere pants.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Since Howard PMs (and aspiring PMs) have worn Anthony Squires suits. There was talk a few years ago when Costello got measured up for a AS suit that perhaps he was finally about to challenge for the leadership, but alas nothing came of it (apart from another boxy suit).

I think all PMs since Ben Chifley (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong)--apart from Paul Keating--wore AS suits. Does Kevin Rudd I wonder?

I wish we had Canberra-style winters too, simply because I actually like the season. I often go the Southern Highlands and the Blue Mountains for that very reason (the excellent air-quality/climate is a prime reason too).

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcral1
Did anyone see the add for "Bespoke Tailors of Hong Kong" in the Age today? My interest was peaked at their student deal of 2 shirt, 2 suit for $780. Whilst clearly not bespoke it's pretty darn cheap, and generally tailors that can afford international travel to their clients must be semi-decent...?

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these guys. They were here apparently in 2008, and they took out an identical add in 2008 http://smh.realviewtechnologies.com/...ge=page0000015

Was curious if someone had prior experience with them.

They are in Sydney on 07-09 June at the InterContinental and 10-12 June at Crown Towers.

The link went nowhere.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niotyer