• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I've been listening to Bill Bryson's Short History of Everything on audiobook. Enjoyable.
Great read, can't imagine it on audiobook though. It's extremely long and the dude reading must have a great voice; there's a lot of humor in that book which could be easily ruined. Right now:
ulysses%20cover%20image.jpg

Adam_Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sle-z-e
Was anyone else extremely disappointed by Cormac McCarthy's The Road?
Yeah, I thought it flat-out sucked for the most part. I like most of his other work I've read and thought No Country the easiest, quickest, and most enjoyable read I've had this decade...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Adam_Lee
Yeah, I thought it flat-out sucked for the most part. I like most of his other work I've read and thought No Country the easiest, quickest, and most enjoyable read I've had this decade...
Did you guys have a dictionary on hand as you read it?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone a few pages back mentioned that HBO's next big series was going to be A Song of Ice and Fire, based on George Martin's fantasy series. To whoever posted about these books: **** you. Ive wasted so many hours the past month making my way through these 4 book... They're just too entertaining and addicting. The books are everything Lord of the Rings (only other fantasy series Ive touched) would be if LOTR wasn't full of silly bullshit and faggotry.

Im wrapping up Wright's The Maze and the Warrior: Symbols in Architecture, Theology, and Music. It's a pretty thorough treatment of the symbols of the maze through history, from Theseus to modern corn mazes. The most interesting chapters are where the author analyzes labyrinthine structures in music (author is prof of musicology at Yale.) He relates the tonal and rythmic retrogression of Medieval hymns to the recursive aspects of Christ's journey represented in the maze motif.

Just started The Lost City of Z. The author is searching for new insight into Percy Fawcett misadventure into the Amazon. Fawcett disappeared with his son in the 1920s while searching for evidence of an advanced society in unexplored parts of the Amazon. It was a pretty huge story in the twenties.

Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Stop now.

+1. There isn't a subject in that book that doesn't get a more rigorous, correct, and readable treatment from other thinkers. I can see this book being useful in the 1950s when this brand of liberal economic thinking was fairly cloistered, but in 2010 you can compile a better reading list with a little poking around on the web.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. I realized recently that I've never read one of his books before so I'm starting with what seems to be one of his most famous. I'll probably pick up another one or two after this, so any recommendations on which ones?

dhaller

Reaction score
I just finished "The Lovely Bones", which was a very good novel overall but lost it a bit in the end game, wrapping things up in a rather maudlin fashion.

I've just started "City of Thieves" on the strength of a friend's recommendation.

DH

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member