• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 5 Thrift Store Finds Ever!

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, do you ever have time to spare.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
One thing I think is missing is the fit of an item. If I found a pair of brand new expensive shoes, I would surely buy them, knowing I could flip them for a profit. But when I find something really nice that is my size, that's when I really enjoy the thrift hunt. How many of these lots actaully fit the person who found them?

givemefive

Reaction score
Current prices for vicuña yarns and fabrics can range from $1,800 to $3,000 per yard. Vicuña fiber can be used for apparel (such as socks, sweaters, accessories, shawls, coats, and suits) and home fashion (such as blankets and throws). A scarf costs around $1500 while a man's coat can cost up to $20,000.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lobbs are sweet. There are people who have a knack for finding stuff and continually find premium
goods. Buddy of mine did this with classic modern furniture -gathered a small fortune by scouting garage sales and funky estate sales.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What about pejsek?
confused.gif

We're hoping he resurfaces so he can nominate 15 of his best finds -- then we'll have a vote-off. Pejsek vs. Everybody Else.

Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
One thing I think is missing is the fit of an item. If I found a pair of brand new expensive shoes, I would surely buy them, knowing I could flip them for a profit. But when I find something really nice that is my size, that's when I really enjoy the thrift hunt. How many of these lots actually fit the person who found them?

Finding those two BBBF sportcoats was even sweeter when I realized they fit me like a glove... also I believe idfnl's vicuña sportcoat is exactly his size too...

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of these lots are less than spectacular, in particular the ties and some of the sportcoats. The other day I was in my favourite thrift store and passed on four (4) hermes ties and a vintage navy flannel chalkstripe hermes suit. There is always the odd Zegna su misura or Corneliani sportcoat lying around. I'm tempted to conclude that European thrifting is generally more rewarding than in America, although I have heard stories of amazing finds in New York.

The shoes, on the other hand, are amazing.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
If it is bigger than his size......

Nope, fits me like a glove

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Some of these lots are less than spectacular, in particular the ties and some of the sportcoats. The other day I was in my favourite thrift store and passed on four (4) hermes ties and a vintage navy flannel chalkstripe hermes suit. There is always the odd Zegna su misura or Corneliani sportcoat lying around. I'm tempted to conclude that European thrifting is generally more rewarding than in America, although I have heard stories of amazing finds in New York.

The shoes, on the other hand, are amazing.

If these were in good condition, why did you leave them?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ +1. Anyway, my vote was obvious. To me, finding a nice suit/jacket isn't too hard. I'll find something nice in that area at least once every few months. However, in my 9ish years of thrifting, I have never seen a pair of shoes that retailed over $400. I have also never found a pair of nice shoes in good shape, with the exemption of two recent examples. With that said, finding a pair of John Lobbs, mint - never worn and with the original shoe trees absolutely astonishes me. That particular find brings me to question "Who the hell in their right mind would donate these?!".

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
If these were in good condition, why did you leave them?
Because I don't have the time or the energy to buy a bunch of clothing I can't return, take pictures of it during the day and measure it, deal with tire-kickers/buyers/paypal, then pack it and ship it across the Atlantic Ocean for $100 profit. Or if you meant why didn't I buy them for myself, then they just didn't appeal to me that much, or didn't fit quite right. When there's so much to choose from, brand name becomes meaningless and aesthetics becomes everything.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads